News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Golden Age Master and Modern Master
« on: April 10, 2018, 02:49:07 PM »
Several years ago I was looking for a facility that had at least one course by a Golden Age Master, and one by a Modern Master. The one that I found that I felt fit the bill was French Lick. Are there others that I overlooked?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Edward Glidewell

Re: Golden Age Master and Modern Master
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 03:13:12 PM »
Are you only looking for public facilities? Because following a merger of two clubs, Sedgefield Country Club now has both a Donald Ross course and a Pete Dye course.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 03:25:22 PM by Edward Glidewell »

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 03:17:54 PM »
It would depend what the definition of "Modern Master" would be.

Would Philly Cricket count with their Tillinghast and Hurdzan/Fry courses?

Probably Pinehurst would also be currently included with Ross, Fazio, Nicklaus, and soon to be Hanse.

Could you go so far to say Segefield with the Ross course and the acquired Dye course?

What about Sea Island and the restoration/ re-design of their 3 courses?

Or the Greenbrier with their CBM Old White and Fazio Snead courses, beyond their others.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 03:18:09 PM »
Yes, my interest was in public facilities, but I welcome the information on privates as well.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 03:42:28 PM »
Crail: Balcomie and Craighead

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 03:57:15 PM »
It would depend what the definition of "Modern Master" would be.

Would Philly Cricket count with their Tillinghast and Hurdzan/Fry courses?

Private, but good to know.

Probably Pinehurst would also be currently included with Ross, Fazio, Nicklaus, and soon to be Hanse.

Like you said, depends on the definition of modern master, but Hanse certainly qualifies in my book.

Could you go so far to say Segefield with the Ross course and the acquired Dye course?

Private, but good to know.

What about Sea Island and the restoration/ re-design of their 3 courses?

Great pointer, I'll have to look into this more.

Or the Greenbrier with their CBM Old White and Fazio Snead courses, beyond their others.

Snead Private, but good to know.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 04:00:47 PM »
Crail: Balcomie and Craighead

Thanks David,

But, I forgot to mention I was thinking US only. However, my HS buddy is bugging me to go to Fife so this is a very useful suggestion in that regard.

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 04:35:33 PM »
With regards to Sedgefield, although both courses are now considered Sedgefield Country Club (originally the Pete Dye course was a separate club called the Cardinal) they are not actually at the same location. The Dye course is 10-15 miles from the Ross course.

I was also going to mention Sea Island, but Ben beat me to it.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 04:55:37 PM »
With regards to Sedgefield, although both courses are now considered Sedgefield Country Club (originally the Pete Dye course was a separate club called the Cardinal) they are not actually at the same location. The Dye course is 10-15 miles from the Ross course.

If Sedgefield counts, then so should the merger of Mayfield [Barker] and Sand Ridge [Tom Fazio] in the Cleveland area, even though the two courses are miles apart.

I guess maybe you could count my course #1 at Medinah alongside Tom Bendelow's Medinah #3, but #3 has had so many different designers involved, it's hard to say it is the product of a "Golden Age Master".

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 05:09:14 PM »

If Sedgefield counts, then so should the merger of Mayfield [Barker] and Sand Ridge [Tom Fazio] in the Cleveland area, even though the two courses are miles apart.

Who is Barker? And is he a Golden Age Master Architect? Is this a merger of private clubs?

EDIT: And if the course is by someone named Barker, then someone should tell the club as they say "Opened in 1911 and built by its first golf professional, W.H. "Bert" Way, the Mayfield course features rolling terrain, tree lined fairways and two streams that run through the 235 acre property." TIDE

The two courses, Dye and Ross, at French Lick are 5 miles apart. So some separation is fine.

I guess maybe you could count my course #1 at Medinah alongside Tom Bendelow's Medinah #3, but #3 has had so many different designers involved, it's hard to say it is the product of a "Golden Age Master".

Once again a private, but good to know.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 05:14:06 PM by Garland Bayley »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 09:28:14 PM »
Garland:  That's Herbert Barker, who has been cited here a couple of times as the most overlooked designer of his day.  I couldn't remember Bert Way's name when I made my post, but I believe the two built Mayfield together - George Thomas, who was meticulous about the photo credits in his book, credits the photo of Mayfield to Barker and Way.

And yes, the club merged with the newer Sand Ridge GC a few years ago.

Peter Flory

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 10:23:58 PM »

The Broadmoor?
East Course: Combination of Donald Ross and RTJ holes
West Course: Combination of Donald Ross and RTJ holes
Mountain Course: Arnold Palmer (1976), then Jack Nicklaus (2006).  Except this course may be gone due to landslides, not sure.

David_Tepper

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 11:16:29 PM »
Ashburn GC in Halifax, Nova Scotia is a private club with 2 courses. The old course is a Stanley Thompson, sub-6,000 yard design located in the center of Halifax. The newer course (50 years old now) was designed by Geoffrey Cornish and is in the suburbs of the city.

http://www.ashburngolfclub.com/golf.html 

While a private club, Ashburn did allow visitor play when I was there in 1991.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back