News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Way, way OT. Pollution in China
« on: January 27, 2017, 11:57:20 AM »
I will be going to Beijing and Xian the end of September but am worried about the pollution. For those that have been there what is your experience?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Bob Montle

Re: Way, way OT. Pollution in China
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 02:47:12 PM »
My niece teaches in China and goes to Beijing frequently.

Her advice:
Just don't breathe and you'll be fine.
"If you're the swearing type, golf will give you plenty to swear about.  If you're the type to get down on yourself, you'll have ample opportunities to get depressed.  If you like to stop and smell the roses, here's your chance.  Golf never judges; it just brings out who you are."

Buck Wolter

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 05:24:11 PM »
I think its more of a long term issue unless you have lung problems -- I wouldn't go for a run if it's bad but I wouldn't go for a run if it was nice either. Take some good 3M masks and wear them if it gets bad and you are doing something outside for an extended period like the Forbidden City.

I was in Beijing with some Chinese colleagues a couple years ago and one was taking pictures of the sky and I asked why -- there was blue sky that day and she had never seen that in Beijing.

Buck

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 07:04:48 PM »
First of all, the important thing is you are going to see some amazing sites! (Okay, even if they are shrouded in "fog.")

You know the AQI, the air quality index you sometimes hear about on the radio, eg "today's a Code Red day, all outdoor recess is cancelled"? Well, there are two colors even worse than red -- red isn't even halfway to the peak reading.

Consider that, and consider that sometimes BJ's AQI is *above* the maximum number on the scale. I have no idea how that is possible--but it can't be good.  :P
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Steve Lang

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 11:01:29 PM »
 8)

AIR QUALITY INDEX (AQI)  100 IS NOMINALLY THE AMBIENT AIR QUALITY STANDARD, YOU CAN LOOK SUCH UP color charts
but the reality in China is that the 2.5 micrometer sized particulate matter (PM2.5) concentration levels are more than 5 times the numerical standard and shown in the color chart ranges,,,

China's 24 hour standard for PM in urban and industrial areas is 75 micrograms/cubic meter (ug/m3), its 35 ug/m3 in the USA and they're reporting levels >> 500 and are happy when air quality settles round 100 ug/m3... :o

Not a bad idea to have some face masks handy.
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 10:56:33 AM »
Tommy,

For what it's worth, the one time I was in Beijing, the air quality was not bad at all.  And it's usually not bad up by the Great Wall -- only in the city itself, because they put all of the smog-making energy plants and factories to the west of the city, where the wind blows it all right straight into town.  When it's bad in the city, though, it's really bad, as the numbers above would suggest.

I've not heard of it being a problem in Xi'an, but I've never been there.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 05:11:29 PM »
Tommy:

Try: http://www.stateair.net/web/post/1/1.html or http://aqicn.org/city/beijing/ as you get closer to your trip date.

I know masks are rated and that they aren't all created the same.

Great seeing you last week at Ballyhack.  Folks, Sweet T birdied six and seven (from >190 yards!).

WW

Kerry Gray

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 08:28:15 PM »
I live in China, almost 10 years now. End of September is a good time, better than average chance of getting good air quality. As some have said, if it's a real concern buy the 3M masks. For a short term stay I suspect the body can handle it without any long term effects. Visine is helpful for many as well. If you live here you get used to it, the price you pay to be part of a very vibrant country.
As for Beijing, go to Jingshan Park before going to the Forbidden City, you can walk down the hill from the park to the North entrance. Also, go to the street food market in Wangfujing at night, great experience. Take the Subway whenever you can, Beijing traffic can be exceptionally bad and it's easy to use the Subway here. Try to keep your schedule flexible, that is you want to be at the Great Wall when the air is clearest for a better experience. The hotel can arrange a driver on short notice to take you there, so if you wake up and it's clear, go.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back