News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Cirba

Re:Donald Ross and the Volcano hole-Bedford Springs
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2007, 10:05:22 AM »
Jim,

Thanks for sharing.   I'm certainly going to get over there this year and check it out.

Is the 5th pic a "before" pic of the Tilly hole?

David Stamm

« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2007, 10:16:42 AM »
Thnaks for posting Jim. That looks like a really neat place to visit.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

wsmorrison

« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2007, 08:05:31 PM »
Jim,

The course looks great, I had no reservations about that after touring it with you and Ron last year.  However, I was wondering how the hotel was going to come out since it sure looked like sh*t when we were there.  WOW, it came out almost as well as the golf course and that is high praise.  Congratulations to everyone involved in that mammoth project.  Can't wait to get out there sometime soon.  

What happened to Ron's opening tee shot?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 08:05:51 PM by Wayne Morrison »

JNagle

« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2007, 09:31:14 PM »
Wayne -

To quote the great Ty Webb "In the Lumber Yard, Danny"

You have got to see the Hotel.  Just simply amazing.  You could not wipe the smile off of the architect's face - David Rau,  3North, Richmond, VA
It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or the doer of deeds could have done better.  The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; .....  "The Critic"

Kyle Harris

« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2007, 09:33:48 PM »
...holy crap...

When I think back about the countless times I've watched Tiger at close quarters, hitting a previously inconceivable shot with an unfeasible club from an indescribable stance out of an unplayable lie to within a few feet of an unattainable flag, it strikes me that I may not have done a good enough job of describing the scene. In fact, with a beautiful economy of words, Ernie Els did just that. He turned to me and said, "F*#@ me! Did you see that?" If I had drooled on for 20 minutes trying to describe it, I would have conveyed less information."

-David Feherty
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 09:36:03 PM by Kyle Harris »

Joe Hancock

« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2007, 09:41:18 PM »
I like the "Please keep off the grass" sign....I wonder how well that would go over in St. Andrews?.... :P

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2007, 08:54:25 PM »
I had my flight from Cleveland to Philly cancelled this morning, so I ended up driving back.  I then realized that I would be driving right past Bedford Springs (which was about the only thing that could make me smile at that point) so I decided to check it out.

I WAS FLOORED when I turned to corner and saw the hotel and the course.  Took a quick tour with a cart (the starter was extremely helpful) and saw Tiny Tim and the Volcano hole.  You have to see the volcano hole from the tips... 220+, uphill and breathtaking.  The tree clearing on that hole lets you see the scale of the volcano much better than before.  I also thought #18 looks interesting with its serpentine fairway from the brief glimpse I got today.

I will be back before year-end to play it.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2008, 08:41:22 PM »
Bump for Joe Bausch

Mike Hendren

« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2008, 09:03:45 AM »
Came across this volcano yesterday.  Guess the architect (for those who don't already know):

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2008, 09:33:32 AM »
Bob Labbance wrote the piece a few years back about Volcano holes and I contributed. By far, the best example I've seen is the fourth at Shennecossett. as Eric mentioned. The fourth at Cohasse Country Club, a 9-hole Ross-,is also a Volcano Hole with the tee shot being down hill. The concept is the same. The green is perched atop a knob and any wayward shots tumble away from the green. I believe the original Cohasse version had no bunkers. I think the Shennecossett one had a front bunker well short of the green. There is also a unique Raynor Short Hole at Blind Brook which has all the qualities of a Volcano.

Anthony

KBanks

« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2008, 11:53:32 AM »
A Scottish relative might be the fifth at Gleneagles King's.

Ken

Phil McDade

« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2008, 03:00:22 PM »
Came across this volcano yesterday.  Guess the architect (for those who don't already know):

Mike:

You're throwing us a curve if you don't give out any hints...

Art Roselle

« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2008, 12:44:48 AM »
I am amazed by the number of examples of this sort of hole.  I guess I thought they were more rare.  It is also interesting that this discussion started out about Ross, as I would have thought that this look was more typical of Macdonald/Raynor designs, such as some of the examples in the "Show us your Shorts" thread (Lookout Mountain, St Louis CC, etc).  I am not sure how many of the examples here are from Ross courses, but I know a few are.

The first one that popped into my head when I saw the thread was the 6th at Roaring Gap, which is a Ross.  Given the many examples shown here, I am a little surprised by how the RG hole is described in Ran's profile

"6th hole, 145 yards; Described by one well travelled golfer as a volcano green complex (as pictured below), the construction of this green site is certainly unique within Ross's design career."

Why is it "unique within Ross's design career"?  There seem to be several other like it.

Jason Topp

« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2017, 03:04:35 PM »
Wow does this hole look different today!

I am told by an authoritative source that the 14th at Lawsonia qualifies as a volcano hole.  I am also told the green has been lowered 3-5 feet from its original height.  There is a steep drop off behind the green of maybe 10-12 feet. 

Anthony Gholz

Re: Donald Ross and the Volcano hole-Bedford Springs
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2017, 11:43:41 AM »
David;

Franklin Hills north of Detroit Michigan has one of Rosses best volcanos.  Here are two pics from 2012.

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back