News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Shinnecock - Are you not entertained?
« on: June 15, 2018, 12:40:51 PM »
For all the moaners and complainers about all the recent US Opens not being true to itself...  ;)

« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 05:06:24 PM by Kalen Braley »

Joe Hancock

Re: Shinnecock - Are you not entertained?
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 03:24:48 PM »
I haven’t been able to watch much, but the impression I get, and subsequently feel, is that no one is having fun. Not that it’s supposed to be, so maybe “entertained” isn’t what I’m feeling, but I am still interested in the outcome.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Cal Seifert

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 04:53:06 PM »
I am watching because this is a Major, I never enjoyed watching the US Open that much, as its probably as much fun for the players as pulling teeth without Novicane. But most of the time, the best player wins, so it has plenty of credibility. Imagine the mind set of a Nicklaus, Tiger and other multiple winners of this tournament, thats what impresses me most. The poor short putting on display certainly brings out the weakness of that aspect of certain players games.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Jake Marvin

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 07:49:16 PM »
I must be a masochist because I am eating this up. From what I've seen, it's been pretty "fair," by any definition one can conceive. Don't hit the shot, get punished. Hit the shot, you're in good shape. I love it. If you're used to shooting -15 every week, you probably aren't crazy about it.

Ken Moum

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 12:06:46 AM »
The guy (can't remember his name) who's been on with Jason Whitlock following the FS1 coverage the last two days nailed why I like the U.S. Open

He said that we've all opened with a 7, and we know how we deal with that.  Watching these guys deal with that kind of stress only happens occasionally. I happen to love it.

I figure golf at it's highest level should be more than a simple test of skill.  I know that's what pros want, and I think it is a remarkably shallow way of looking at the game.

The U.S. Open at a course like this, or and links course on windy day is as much about dealing with adversity as it is about hitting the ball perfectly.

Like I said, I love it.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Rich Goodale

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 08:11:55 AM »
I'm entertained!

Lots of great shots and lots of stinkers.  Great dispersion, per the Crosby Theorem.

And even better there's a young kid from my local club who's tied for 14th after 36 holes.  Callum Hill.

Lots to look forward to!

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

archie_struthers

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 08:12:40 AM »
 :) :D

Enjoying it , DeChambeau needs to get a diaper. Only played Shinnie once but wow it was great fun . Realize the conditions weren't like this week but they are better than us .

So we play 10 and I make a ten footer for 5 after a perfect drive , yikes . We go to 11 and my excellent . caddy tells me how hard this 150 yard rascal can be . Our group went 2,3,4,6 on this beauty. So much fun. It's not for everyday  but sometimes you just need to strap it on and play hard!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:31:38 AM by archie_struthers »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 08:21:48 AM »
I’m enjoying this US Open as, some may be surprised to here, I did the one at Chambers Bay.
Watching players play the kind of shots that they don’t have to play very often and in particular seeing the ground game being used more is for me far more enjoyable to watch than golf played within corridors of trees with thick, ankle length rough alongside the fairways and around the greens. And when the wind blows my interest increases. I can appreciate some of the concern over the greens however.
Atb

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 08:45:20 AM »
The U.S. Open has been for many years now, at least FOR ME, the least interesting of the four majors and the one that is pretty clearly NOT must-see TV.  I'd add the Players, the LA Open, and several other regular Tour events to the tournaments I'd rather pass the time watching on Sunday afternoon.
I just don't find it interesting, much less exciting, to see the best players in the world struggle to play the game.  I know lots of people that DO like it, but I just don't.  I can check the scores every hour or so and not miss much as the leaders make pars and challengers fall away.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tim Martin

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2018, 04:16:01 PM »
DeChambeau should trade in the Hogan style cap for a baby bonnet.

Doug Hodgson

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2018, 05:43:36 PM »
I must say I am finding it entertaining and it's cool to see two bodybuilders tied for the lead!

Bruce Katona

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2018, 06:35:06 PM »
And I’m enjoying watching the guy who managed to tame Merion putt lights out.

BHoover

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2018, 08:04:24 PM »
Aphibarnrat is winning this thing tomorrow. I couldn’t be more excited!

William_G

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2018, 11:35:16 PM »
Aphibarnrat is winning this thing tomorrow. I couldn’t be more excited!

+1
It's all about the golf!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2018, 11:54:45 PM »
I’m really enjoying watching this event. Watching how difficult the game can be for the world’s best on a really tough course makes me think I’m watching the Buda Cup! It’s like watching my friends who are good golfers struggle on a windy links. They too often try to force the wrong shot because that’s what they “see”, instead of using the ground to nestle the ball around the hole. The whiners complaints almost always are the result of their ball being totally out of position. Boo hoo! Let the course help you instead of fighting against it!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2018, 01:58:26 AM »
I’m really enjoying watching this event. Watching how difficult the game can be for the world’s best on a really tough course makes me think I’m watching the Buda Cup! It’s like watching my friends who are good golfers struggle on a windy links. They too often try to force the wrong shot because that’s what they “see”, instead of using the ground to nestle the ball around the hole. The whiners complaints almost always are the result of their ball being totally out of position. Boo hoo! Let the course help you instead of fighting against it!

+1

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2018, 12:11:32 PM »

+1

Most PGA events are birdie fests, and they're boring. I don't see what's wrong with having one event where par is a good score on any given hole.

Tim Gallant

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2018, 06:12:42 PM »
Looking back on the week, I actually thought it was quite fun to watch the action unfold, particularly on Saturday. With the exception of Sunday, when they watered down the course, they effective let the weather dictate scoring. The late/early groups clearly got the poorer luck of the wind, but such is life. And late in the day Saturday, the wind was fierce, and the course was impossible. So what? It's an absolute double-standard. If that was named The Open Championship, writers would be lining up to wax poetically about how that's the rub of the green, and the luck of the draw...and they'd be correct. Heck, look at The Open in 2015, where they stopped play because of the wind. What would have happened if, on Saturday afternoon, the USGA suspended play because of the wind? They would be crucified.

But! I have discovered why so many people are up in arms over the course set-up at the US Open. It has to do with false advertising. Listening to the lead-up to the event, and Mr. Davis' comments during the event, I must have heard the word 'fair' about thirty times. And that's where you create problems. The US Open is branding itself as the fairest test in golf, and with the players, media, sponsors and fans all bought into 'fairness', by golly, they expect a fair fight! When it isn't, and we know golf is never fair (or at least should never be fair!), then everything unravels. I'd rather the US Open market itself again as the toughest test, and act accordingly. At least then there'll be no arguments about what's fair and just. Who cares if the scoring average is 82. Try to shoot 81! And I call hogwash on the idea that when you 'lose a golf course' (which I've never seen in my life), that you start penalising good shots. Clearly it wasn't a good shot if it ended up in a bad spot! It's the same argument as those who hit a straight tee ball moaning because they went in centreline bunkers. It wasn't a good shot. Well struck maybe, but not a good shot. If players can't hold the green, why are you trying to hit the green in the first place? Be smarter. Lay-up on a par-3. Hit it intentionally in the bunker. Putt off the green so you have an easier chip up the hill. Is that not golf too?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back