News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Kelly

"Infinity green"
« on: January 29, 2017, 05:23:10 PM »
Jim Nance [very belated correction: NANTZ!] just said, of Torrey Pines South's 14th green: "You've heard of an infinity pool. This is an infinity green!"

He said it with a tone of voice suggesting not only that had he never heard the expression, but also that he thought he had just *coined* the phrase.

Rolling-eyes emoticon omitted.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 02:21:42 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Wade Whitehead

Re: "Infinity green"
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 06:06:34 PM »
Yes, and Nick Faldo, a "golf course architect," had nothing to say.

WW

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 06:27:14 PM »
So, which was the bigger surprise?

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 06:31:41 PM »
Jim has always been a master at this, at making it his own - hence 'the bear has come out of hibernation' and 'a win for the ages'. For a pro like Jim, terms like infinity green jingle around in his pocket like so many nickels and dimes. Emoticon of some sort also omitted.

*Makes the spontaneous commentary of a non-pro/part time broadcaster like Tom Weiskopf even more stunningly impressive: 'if I knew the way he thought I'd have won this tournament'...and then, perfectly timed, 'your destiny is right here'. 30 years later and I still get goosebumps, not only at JN's win, but at this sublime achievement in sports broadcasting.

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 10:30:03 AM »
Makes the spontaneous commentary of a non-pro/part time broadcaster like Tom Weiskopf even more stunningly impressive: 'if I knew the way he thought I'd have won this tournament'...and then, perfectly timed, 'your destiny is right here'. 30 years later and I still get goosebumps, not only at JN's win, but at this sublime achievement in sports broadcasting.

As a sports broadcasting geek, I agree completely with your summary of Weiskopf's accomplishment. Just curious, who's your favorite full time and part time golf broadcaster?
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Mike Bodo

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 11:30:08 AM »
Jim Nance just said, of Torrey Pines South's 14th green: "You've heard of an infinity pool. This is an infinity green!"

He said it with a tone of voice suggesting not only that had he never heard the expression, but also that he thought he had just *coined* the phrase.

Rolling-eyes emoticon omitted.
I heard that expression during yesterday's broadcast and got a chuckle. I get the metaphor and can see how he would conclude that given the camera angle of the green from the fairway they had on the screen at the time, but I think it's a bit of a stretch and pray that it doesn't become part of GCA vernacular, although I suspect it will in some quarters. I can see a developer telling a GCA that he wants one or two "infinity greens" on a new course layout. Oy Vey!
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 11:34:14 AM »
Ryan - I tend to remember great moments better than overall work (e.g. Ben Wright: 'Ah, evil music to the ears of Mr. Nicklaus' and then, just a moment later, Henry Longhurst: 'And now young Mr. Weiskopf has to take it, just as he dished it out'), but over the years -- and I'm showing my age here -- I think there were/are several broadcasters who were excellent at what they did, i.e. Peter Oosterhuis (in the tower at whatever hole he was covering), Pat Summerall (a focused but low-key host), Dave Marr (just knew the game and the shots and what tour pros face as well as anyone, but without any forced drama), Judy Rankin (wonderful on-course), and Peter Alliss (say no more, say no more). If there is a common denominator, none of them talked too much or made it about themselves or tried too hard to add 'meaning'. Let the game speak for itself; trust that the significance of the moment will be clear to the audience.
Peter 

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 01:26:36 PM »
Infinity greens are better when on the 'second nine'.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 01:36:22 PM »
Infiniti green. Sounds like the colour of an upmarket Nissan car!

Atb

Neil White

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 01:47:18 PM »

Atb

Is there such a thing?  Car I mean, not colour.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 01:47:36 PM »
Dan,

I am shocked that you of all people would misspell Jim Nantz's surname!
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Thomas Dai

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 02:15:39 PM »

Atb

Yes Neil - http://www.infinitiusa.com - and they even sell them in the UK now - https://www.infiniti.co.uk - as Lexus is to Toyota so Infiniti is to Nissan. Folks may even recall a time when Nissan were called Datsun.

Atb

Dan Kelly

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 02:20:57 PM »
Dan,

I am shocked that you of all people would misspell Jim Nantz's surname!

OMG! No more shocked than I am! LOL.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 03:25:21 AM »

Atb

Yes Neil - http://www.infinitiusa.com - and they even sell them in the UK now - https://www.infiniti.co.uk - as Lexus is to Toyota so Infiniti is to Nissan. Folks may even recall a time when Nissan were called Datsun.

Atb

Don't knock the Nissan Datsun. My Dad used to have one when I was in my early teens and as I recall it took four set of clubs in the boot so excellent for golfers.

Jon

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 04:58:33 PM »
Ryan - I tend to remember great moments better than overall work (e.g. Ben Wright: 'Ah, evil music to the ears of Mr. Nicklaus' and then, just a moment later, Henry Longhurst: 'And now young Mr. Weiskopf has to take it, just as he dished it out'), but over the years -- and I'm showing my age here -- I think there were/are several broadcasters who were excellent at what they did, i.e. Peter Oosterhuis (in the tower at whatever hole he was covering), Pat Summerall (a focused but low-key host), Dave Marr (just knew the game and the shots and what tour pros face as well as anyone, but without any forced drama), Judy Rankin (wonderful on-course), and Peter Alliss (say no more, say no more). If there is a common denominator, none of them talked too much or made it about themselves or tried too hard to add 'meaning'. Let the game speak for itself; trust that the significance of the moment will be clear to the audience.
Peter

Thanks for response. CBS Sports coverage of the PGA Tour was outstanding during the Frank Chirkinian era. The final round coverage of the 1993 PGA Championship was broadcasting at its finest. After watching the 2016 PGA Championship coverage, I decided it was time to give up watching golf live. (The Masters, US Open and Open Championship being the only exceptions)
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back