News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Nichols

Is there a template name for a three-tiered green?
« on: April 29, 2016, 01:20:46 PM »
I was recently playing in a charity event when one of my playing partners referred to a par 3 with a stairstep three-tier green (i.e., lowest tier in front, highest in back) as a "Biarritz."  I explained to him the traditional design of a Biarritz (which this hole obviously wasn't, which he got), but then he said he thought there might be some other template name for it.  Is there one?  Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the hole in question, but I think you can imagine it.  [Note this was not a Double Plateau, or at least not what I understand is a traditional Double Plateau]

Joe Hancock

Re: Is there a template name for a three-tiered green?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 05:47:29 PM »
I don't know of a template or name, but I like the sound of "Upper Upper Decker".
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Matthew Essig

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 08:23:04 PM »
I agree that a three-tiered green falling from back to front should have a more formal name. It should be distinguished from other three-tiered greens, e.g. double plateau, biarritz. Whether it is a template or not is up for debate.

Here are a few ideas:

A cascade green
A terraced green
A Carolina green (or something derived from Carolina Cherry (9) at ANGC, one of my favorite examples of this type of green)
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Phil McDade

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 08:38:24 PM »
Two good ones from Wisconsin:

Ozaukee CC's 8th hole, a par 4 and perhaps the best hole there -- the green is so large it's hard to capture in a single picture:

Maple Bluff CC; 9th hole par 5:

« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 08:41:52 PM by Phil McDade »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 08:52:47 PM »
El Guapo

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 09:03:58 PM »
JK,

The Three Amigos is not too bad but I would insist that a diabolical green of this architectural pedigree be called an Unholey Trinity!!!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 10:24:04 PM »
I would think #16 at Pasatiempo would be one of the more extreme examples of this.
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

Josh Stevens

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 11:45:36 PM »
How about a 3 tiered green falling from front to back?  A tumble?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 11:47:45 PM by Josh Stevens »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 03:41:06 AM »
Here's an Alister MacKenzie 3-tier green - par-4 12th hole at Worcester GC (UK) - the photos are from Sean's photo tour - http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49998.msg1348691.html#msg1348691

From the winter playing angle (as originally designed) - the hole plays up the hill from the left for most of the year

From the rear - winter fairway (shared with 18th) to the left, the 'normal' fairway is in line the with flag (in 2nd photo) at bottom of hill

The tiers are quite severe. Not keen myself on this type of green. Not just playability wise but maintenance, limited pin positions etc.

In general 3-tiers = 😢😢😢

atb
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 04:09:53 AM by Thomas Dai »

Charlie_Bell

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 07:36:26 AM »
A Putt-Putt green?

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 08:03:06 AM »
There's a very good example on the 9th hole at Prestbury (Colt) - a very difficult hole.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 01:56:09 AM »
Thomas,

that does not look like an original Dr. Mac green. Maybe it has had the Sitwell treatment.

To answer the OP I have always known such greens simply as 3 tier greens though maybe a name for it could be a 'Belfry Green' in honour of the 18th green at The Belfry which has to be the most famous poster child of this type of green

Jon

Josh Stevens

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 07:17:18 AM »
perhaps we don't see enough of them to warrant a name - which is a pity as they can be fun

We have a backwards version at my club, where the green cascades down in three tiers from front to back.  So its a bit like trying to stop a ball on a flight of downward stairs.

It's not something I would recommend on a proper course, but as a bit of an absurd folly on  our short course its fun if not taken too seriously

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 10:03:58 AM »
perhaps we don't see enough of them to warrant a name - which is a pity as they can be fun

We have a backwards version at my club, where the green cascades down in three tiers from front to back.  So its a bit like trying to stop a ball on a flight of downward stairs.

It's not something I would recommend on a proper course, but as a bit of an absurd folly on  our short course its fun if not taken too seriously

Josh,

the par 3 8th at Kingsbarnes is similar to that which you describe.

Jon

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2016, 10:06:01 AM »
How many tiers were in the old green at Sitwell Park?

WW

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2016, 10:31:17 AM »

WW

From photos I've seen it looks like at least a dozen!

Søren Rye

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 06:14:14 AM »

Staircase green?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2016, 07:05:24 AM »
Template names only work if they need to be explained to the uninitiated.

Tim Martin

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2016, 07:28:15 AM »

WW

From photos I've seen it looks like at least a dozen!

I love looking at the photos of the Sitwell Park green. For that period or any other it was beyond bold.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2016, 08:27:42 AM »
My old club had a three tier green on a par 5 that also tilted from right down to the left with a sharp drop off left.  The largest three tier green I have seen is at the PB Dye Golf Course in Maryland.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back