News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob Jenkins

Re: St. Regis at Monarch Beach
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2008, 11:06:33 PM »

I am going to be in Orange County, Ca, this weekend. Will be playing Mesa Verde in Costa Mesa with the relatives one day and may have room one more [checking right now] and also will be looking for a game in the area if any of you are sitting around counting the money you have left. Possibly Monday?

Played The Links at Monarch Beach (what I assume is now the St Regis [wasn't it the Ritz-Carlton for a while?] many years ago on New Years Day when I was between wives and needed to escape for a while. Serenity sometimes is available on a golf course. All I recall is that I did not have a desire to return.

If interested please call. Monday is probably the best day for me. Please email if anything possible for Monday. Mesa Verde will be on Sunday.

Bob J

Mark Kiely

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2016, 01:37:32 AM »
I know this is a very old thread, but I played here today and I'm a little confused by everyone disparaging the oceanfront 3rd hole. I'm not trying to argue as much as trying to understand this GCA mindset.

To me, it's a hole that presents all sorts of options, and I thought that's typically lauded around here. The short distance definitely tempts players to go for the green, which as the crow flies is only about 275 yards or so from the tips. If you choose this option, you could: 1) Hit a good shot and be rewarded with a putt or chip for eagle; 2) Pull it left into the trees, leaving a difficult approach or requiring a punch out to the fairway; or 3) Push it right onto the beach (lateral or OB, I'm not sure what it plays). Those scenarios already seem like the makings of a good hole. However, even if you choose the safer route (175-200 yard lay-up while avoiding fairway bunkers), the green is severely undulated with a crazy shelf on the back left corner that requires extreme precision on one's approach. So even if the lay-up off the tee isn't that exciting, the second shot is (or can be) pressure packed. One of my playing partners today went straight at the pin and paid the price when his ball went long into a severe grass bunker/swale directly behind the green. From there, he wasn't even able to keep his chip on the green, so he made a big number due to barely misjudging his approach distance. I came away feeling that it's a great par 4, in that it's clearly the signature hole of the course and its yardage seduces you into thinking it's going to be easy, when in reality it's very complex and requires good strategy and execution from tee shot to holing your putt.

Also, for those who said the hole is a bad usage of the waterfront, what should RTJ2 have done with that 150 or so yards of oceanfront terrain? How could such a small slice of oceanfront be put to better use?

I sincerely look forward to any responses.
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Pat Burke

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2016, 03:06:20 PM »
This is a five year old+ observation.
I had a student who lived at the Regis for 2 years.
We would play occasionally at Monarch.  It was basically non descript, THE ocean hole was maybe the worst hole on the course,
and a little dangerous for the players ahead of us.

My biggest complaint was conditioning.  Never was good or very good.  And for the price it was pretty poor.

Staff was great though.
If they ramped up the conditioning, it would be an ok course for the resort

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2016, 07:22:22 PM »
I stayed at the resort on a surfing trip.

No golf Meta :)

But a beautiful resort. We used points, and then we camped at the greatest place in San Diego:

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back