News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Difference between Hard and Challenging ?
« on: February 20, 2016, 06:07:42 AM »
Some interesting comments on the hard=fun thread got me thinking about what the difference was between hard and challenging. Challenging was a term I used in my post as did several others.

To me a challenging hole is one that invites you to take on a difficult shot, basically laying down a challenge. A hole where you can see what is being asked of you and you can imagine playing this great shot that you are being asked to play. Almost a shot too tempting to resist where you basically give into the temptation and embrace the challenge. But the key thing is you have a choice.

A hard hole or golf course on the other hand doesn't exactly tempt you. It basically says you have to play a shot and that shot has a degree of difficulty. There is no real enticement, just a demand that you preform.

Now as my old gran used to say, everything in moderation. I could certainly accept a few hard holes in a round but not sure I'd like 18 of them (I'm a big fan of Carnoustie by the way). On the other hand I'm not sure I'd want 18 challenging holes either. Sometimes a no thrills do or die type hole can spice up the round.

Thoughts ?

Niall

Marc Haring

Re: Difference between Hard and Challenging ?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 07:37:42 AM »
That's easy. A hard course is one which you play badly and a challenging course is one which you play well.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back