News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: Rustic Canyon (What am I missing?)
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2015, 05:48:48 PM »
David,

I can't disagree with your last post, I guess I'm only curious as to why you would say "From the very beginning it was clear the course would be polarizing, and it has been"....

...and then be surprised when all of the polarizing comments come rolling in. By definition, shouldn't these be expected?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2015, 06:15:08 PM »
Michael,

You didn't get banned for calling the guys apologists, you were blackballed for knocking Rustic out of the Golfweek top 100.  I personally am shocked at your 6 ranking.  What do you have, like 14 Fazio's at 7 or above, and you call yourself a hillbilly?

I would love to hear what you think Rustic doesn't have.

DMoriarty

« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2015, 07:36:12 PM »
Gotta love this quote from David:  "... not so with some of you who just don't get it."

I have Rustic Canyon as a "6" whatever the heck that means.  I'd sure like for someone to tell me what the "get it" threshold is.  I don't like being a dummy, especially publicly.
No offense meant. Those who "just don't get it" are self-identifying. They say they just don't get what is special about Rustic Canyon and demand others explain it to them (even though it has been explained again and again.)  Or they ask what they are missing, etc.  So I hardly think it is an insulting characterization. As for whether you similarly self-identify, that's up to you, I guess.  But I would assume that, whatever your personal opinion of the course, that you can at least understand why some might feel differently.  Others don't seem to get even that. 

As for the supposed "apologists," earlier in the thread they were being condemned for not vigorously defending merits of the course.  It seems they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. 

As for your question, I don't rank or rate courses and I've only played two of the courses you listed.   I personally prefer Rustic to both, one by a wide margin, one by a close call.  But both are solid courses, and in both instances I could see how others would disagree with me.  I don't think I'd ever characterize either of these other courses as "overrated" or "overhyped" just because my personal preference is for Rustic.

David,

I can't disagree with your last post, I guess I'm only curious as to why you would say "From the very beginning it was clear the course would be polarizing, and it has been"....

...and then be surprised when all of the polarizing comments come rolling in. By definition, shouldn't these be expected?
I am not surprised that people have differing opinions on the course. I am surprised that people complain about a course being "overrated" when it is not even rated.   Why is it so hard for people who don't love the course to accept that others do? 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 07:37:44 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2015, 07:55:11 PM »
One of the most important discoveries that I have had as a golfer over the years is the realization that penalties don't only come in 1 or 2 strokes or even half strokes. 

The most interesting penalties are the 1/4 and 1/8 stroke penalties that by the end of the round add up to a big number.  Subtle penalties that add up.  Courses of this nature have increasingly become my favorites. Rustic is one of them.

I'm confused.  How does one mark those 1/8 stroke penalties on the card?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2015, 10:56:19 PM »

[size=0px]A quick question:  Relative affordability aside, which if any of the following courses would you rate as being "greater" than Rustic Canyon:  Kingsley Club, Glens Falls, Country Club of Troy, Talking Stick North, Wild Horse, Cuscowilla, Lulu and Desert Forest?[/size][/color][/size][size=0px]

Mr. Bogey,

I have played Glens Falls and CC Troy, of the ones you mentioned above. Rustic Canyon is so different from anything that we have in the east. In order to compare it to either of the two I've played, we would have to firm up/burn out the course (albeit not in a pejorative manner) and crank up the wind machine. Rustic is essentially flat land, although there are exceptions on the back nine. Both GFCC and CCT are built on incredibly hilly land, with soil versus sandy grit as essential layer. I cannot think of an eastern course that I could compare with Rustic Canyon.

In terms of shot values, I rate Glens Falls higher than Troy. I would place Rustic between the two, but not by much. I think that Rustic Canyon is all in front of you, but you still don't see it all the first time you play it. In contrast, each hole at Glens Falls always seems to have something hiding around the bend, and it is a gem. It begins with the first hole and continues through the 17th (since 18 is a par three.)

If I were asked to align ten rounds between the two courses, I would split them 5-5 between Glens Falls and Rustic Canyon. They are two such diverse experiences and all golfers should be fortunate enough to play courses like them in their lifetimes.[/size]
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tim Leahy

« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2015, 01:05:15 AM »
I heard from multiple sources that Lost Canyon currently has abysmal conditioning. Can anybody verify that?  I read that one of their courses was shuttered (Shadow) and the ownership underwent bankruptcy reorganization.   I will be heading out to LA at month's end and plan playing 36 holes at Rustic Canyon, unless I can find a solid course to play a second round.  Last time I played Rustic & Lost Canyon was eight years ago.  Any suggestions where else to tee it up in LA?
Angeles National is a good Nicklaus course nearby worth a play set back in a canyon with desert like features.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2015, 01:15:19 AM »
One of the most important discoveries that I have had as a golfer over the years is the realization that penalties don't only come in 1 or 2 strokes or even half strokes. 

The most interesting penalties are the 1/4 and 1/8 stroke penalties that by the end of the round add up to a big number.  Subtle penalties that add up.  Courses of this nature have increasingly become my favorites. Rustic is one of them.

I guess Dave means you incur the penalty once every eight rounds or so.  Similar to how you don't mark 4.5 on a half-par hole. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2015, 11:26:00 AM »

I think what Shiv is talking about is being out of position from either the fairway or around the greens that results in the inability to save par on a few holes that otherwise look "Easy"...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back