News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Rogers

Re: In-depth Feature Interview with Game's Greatest Player now posted
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2015, 09:33:09 AM »
I have read a lot of design theory and various design critiques in other fields ( I am a building architect) and to expect any individual to be 100% intellectually consistent at all times when commenting on such buzz words as "minimalism" is hopelessly implausible.  The GCA has to be given a lot latitude and way more than the benefit of the doubt in order to their job.
I would say the objective is to discover the sweet spot between fun, playability & challenge for each project.  My observation is that is nearly impossible to do for a single course for the top 500 golfers in the world & the rest of us at the same time.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Adam Clayman

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2015, 10:02:59 AM »
A huge problem in the cohesiveness of the interview has to be attributed to the way it was carried out. Am I right these were transcribed answers to conversations made over the course of time?

On the term minimalism, IMO it was used esoterically to describe the difference between "What those guys do" and what the big fee, big name, big project names, of the post Dow Jones breaking through 1000 for the first time era, manufactured. Which culminated in naturalness visionaries like Dick Y. @ Sand Hills and Mike K. in Oregon.

Sure, it's all opinion, But, It ends up boiling down to taste. I think Mike K. gets the nod for having the best taste because he appreciates the principles (and the warnings) that Max Behr poetically riddled in his prose.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Doug Siebert

« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2015, 05:22:32 PM »
He is seemingly moving onto more "natural" looking golf courses in recent years, but it seems like it's primarily window dressing as that is what the clients today want and its the only way he can win jobs over guys like Tom Doak, Gil Hanse, etc.

That's pretty harsh. I think Tom posted recently to the effect that he really isn't under consideration for the same projects that guys like Nicklaus are. People who talk to Nicklaus are primarily buying his name, because it will help market the course. Yes, they want a good course too, but the idea of 'good course' to someone hiring Nicklaus may be 'provides a world class challenge to world class players' which Doak and Hanse haven't been known for building (though Tom said he would like the opportunity to do that sometime, and I hope it happens as I'd be quite interested to see his take on a design that could challenge a guy like Jordan Spieth)

If the client wants a minimalist course because that's the hot new thing, and wants the Nicklaus name attached to it, Jack can deliver because he said he'll give the client what he wants. I agree with those who say that he was talking about the overall concept, like "minimalist", "walkable", "could host a major someday" not specific details like "I want a par 5 that's over 700 yards so no one will ever reach it, and I want a par 3 that tees off from that hill over yonder to an island green the shape of Texas built in the lake below".
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2015, 04:36:37 PM »
A huge problem in the cohesiveness of the interview has to be attributed to the way it was carried out. Am I right these were transcribed answers to conversations made over the course of time?

Why is that a problem and I'm unsure what you are objecting to?  Maybe it's not what you want to hear?

We were given the option to meet with Jack but given the number of questions and follow up questions felt this allowed it to be much more extensive.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2015, 02:10:01 PM »
Joel, I wasn't the one to point out issues with the article. I was only trying to understand and perhaps determine the cause.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Daniel Jones

« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2015, 09:02:48 PM »
Finally found an opportunity to sit down and read this. Thanks to everyone that had a hand in making this happen.

Anthony Fowler

Re: In-depth Feature Interview with Game's Greatest Player now posted New
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2015, 08:32:05 PM »
[post removed]
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 11:59:38 PM by Anthony Fowler »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2015, 01:16:57 AM »
Doak was responsible for the routing and greens at Sebonack, but Jack takes credit for the strategy. What?!?those are the kinds of pedestrian tasks that can be delegated to any old associate.

Michael Pascucci always gives Jack credit for adding the strategy to the course.  He did add a lot of bunkers to DEFINE the strategy, but I have always thought the basic strategy comes from the landform and works from the green backwards.

After the opening event, my wife asked me how many of the greens Jack designed vs. how many I designed.  I went through them and put us each down for five.  My associates and shapers came up with the rest of them, and Jack and I just edited those a bit.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2015, 01:45:22 PM »
Doak was responsible for the routing and greens at Sebonack, but Jack takes credit for the strategy. What?!?those are the kinds of pedestrian tasks that can be delegated to any old associate.

Michael Pascucci always gives Jack credit for adding the strategy to the course.  He did add a lot of bunkers to DEFINE the strategy, but I have always thought the basic strategy comes from the landform and works from the green backwards.

After the opening event, my wife asked me how many of the greens Jack designed vs. how many I designed.  I went through them and put us each down for five.  My associates and shapers came up with the rest of them, and Jack and I just edited those a bit.

Tom,

Who takes credit for # 2 ?  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back