News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig Disher

Littlestone GC Revisited
« on: September 09, 2015, 01:16:47 PM »
The early aerials available on BritainFromAbove turn up some surprising material. A series of photos taken in 1931 that were intended to highlight the resort town of Littlestone gave a partial look at the Littlestone GC. For those unfamiliar with the course's history, the original layout designed by WL Purves was remodeled in the mid-1920s by Alistair MacKenzie. Some of his ideas were immediately implemented (17th, 18th greens, e.g.) while others remained in his long-lost written report. From walking the course today, it's apparent that many bunkers have been removed over the years. It's also clear that fairways have lost width and rough has been allowed to grow to occasional obscene height. The 1931 aerial view can be assumed to show the course as MacKenzie left it.

The 2nd and 3rd holes have always been controversial. The 2nd green was set behind a dune which completely shielded it from view on the approach. In the 1970s, the committee decided to cut through the dune and open a view to the green. The committee claimed this work was originally suggested by MacKenzie although it's not clear that his report still existed by then. The original tee shot for the 3rd hole required a blind carry of another large dune with a massive bunker in its face. To ease this somewhat, the soil recovered from the excavation on the 2nd was used to create a flat area on top of the 2nd hole dune as a new tee for the 3rd. Although this still left a partially blind drive, the elevated tee made the drive much less threatening. The bunkers in the dune may have disappeared by then.

The 1931 aerial displays the 2nd and 3rd holes just a few years after MacKenzie had visited the course. The bunkers that have disappeared are marked with red x's, the two current fairway bunkers are marked in green. Ironically, they were added in the 1990s replacing two pairs of bunkers that bracketed the fairway. They were removed when the committee claimed that MacKenzie intended for the hole to be a dogleg left. This claim led some of the members to an intensive search for the MacKenzie report. It was never found although the club minutes showed that the report was done and MacKenzie received compensation.

What is most striking to me is the view the golfer would have had on the 3rd tee. The massive bunker facing was as threatening as the 4th at Royal North Devon or Royal St. Georges. There must have been continuing complaints about blind shots which eventually motivated the club to remove then on both the 2nd and 3rd. However, those were the only two blind shots on the course and they came early in the round. And given the overall flatness of the course, a little quirk early in the round should have been enjoyed.

Craig Disher

Re: Littlestone GC Revisited
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 10:47:14 AM »
The first hole is a very short, straight par 4. The flat fairway is wide but bordered by dense rough on either side; two fairway bunkers lie on the right; a large, flat green is fronted by a pair of small bunkers flanked on the left by another.

This aerial shows how the hole has been softened over the years. The ditch that runs in front of and then around the right of the green was originally part of the drainage that cleared the ground prior to it becoming a golf course. Purves used the kink in its path as the green site and filled much of the ditch with sand. A top shot bunker (the tee isn't visible in the aerial), 4 fairway bunkers and a bunker at the rear of the green were removed at some point although evidence of them can still be seen.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 10:56:14 AM »
Thanks for this thread, Craig.  I have really enjoying playing Littlestone.  It's very low key but there are some really good holes and none are mundane. 

Your point about the club letting the rough grow is a good observation.  I found a number of shots in thick rough my last time around, didn't find it a factor eight or so years ago. 

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 03:28:13 PM »
Craig,

I'm so pleased that you are making such valuable use of those aerials. If you want to be really thorough you are welcome to trawl the lot - I may well have missed some!

Nice to see you the other date at Sherwood Forest.

M.

Ben Attwood

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 08:14:37 PM »
Super photos, great work Craig. That bunker on 3, wow. Personally I like the notch in the dune on the second. Enticing. I find the current third to be quite a tight drive. The reward of clearing bunker in the hole pictured above is a wide open fairway.

Craig Disher

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 10:36:40 PM »
Ben,
After many years I began to question the value of the notch. It does show a slice of the green but only from a very small area in the fairway. The approach is still an aerial shot over the dune regardless of the notch. If the dune were still intact with the large bunkers facing the player, I think the hole would be more characteristic of a classic links. As I suggested earlier, flattening an already flat course may not have been a good idea.

The 3rd does require a precise shot but is that a wise setup for a blind drive - especially when one side of the fairway is bordered by high grass? On busy days, the hole can be a bottleneck. I'd prefer a wider landing area with a more difficult shot requirement approaching the green. The original 3rd had those features. Given that the tee box is now level with the top of the dune, the dune has little psychological affect on the drive. That wasn't the case when the tee was 20' lower and the huge bunker faced it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back