News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Philip Hensley

Josh Stevens

Re: Augusta Syndrome
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 09:49:53 PM »
August or Augusta syndrome.  Wasn't the AGNC and Augusta Country club issue raised a few weeks back?  Is the point how it looks, or the envy of being able to peek through the fence and see what you are not allowed to play?

I think this latter issue is pretty common.  Players at Sandringham public course play cheek by jowl with Royal Melbourne. Sunningdale and Sunningdale Ladies another example

St Andrews is of course the prime example - I wonder how many players tee off on one course and mysteriously get lost and end up playing TOC.

Philip Hensley

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 02:02:52 PM »
August or Augusta syndrome.  Wasn't the AGNC and Augusta Country club issue raised a few weeks back?  Is the point how it looks, or the envy of being able to peek through the fence and see what you are not allowed to play?

I think this latter issue is pretty common.  Players at Sandringham public course play cheek by jowl with Royal Melbourne. Sunningdale and Sunningdale Ladies another example

St Andrews is of course the prime example - I wonder how many players tee off on one course and mysteriously get lost and end up playing TOC.

How it looks.  Interesting to see the differences in courses at the same time.

Tim Martin

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 02:09:38 PM »
I don't think Augusta CC worries much about ANGC. It is a wonderful old Donald Ross golf course with it's own identity.

Josh Stevens

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 07:54:58 PM »

Didn't I read in the thread the other week that ACC is trying some Rye overseeding as per ANGC

How it looks.  Interesting to see the differences in courses at the same time.

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 08:00:40 PM »
I don't think Augusta CC worries much about ANGC. It is a wonderful old Donald Ross golf course with it's own identity.

Having grown up there, I'd say ANGC has had its fair share of influence.
Though unlike ANGC, ACC's course has IMPROVED over the last 15 years
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jim Nugent

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 02:48:37 AM »

Jeff, with your local knowledge, did any kids ever jump a fence and play a few holes at ANGC? 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 01:46:16 PM »

Jeff, with your local knowledge, did any kids ever jump a fence and play a few holes at ANGC? 

There are members of this forum that have claimed to have done that.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 02:16:54 PM »

[/quote]

There are members of this forum that have claimed to have done that.[/quote]

Fence jumping seems to hold a special place in the history of golf (see, e.g., Francis Ouimet); has anyone started a thread on here about it?
"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 03:08:58 PM »
Maybe back in the day.  Today it would be like breaking into Langley to play with their computers.

jeffwarne

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 10:21:43 PM »
Maybe back in the day.  Today it would be like breaking into Langley to play with their computers.

I used to do it regularly(late 70's) on summer evenings, coming in under the fence by 13 tee, playing 13, 14, 11 from old members tee and 12)
Once played the entire back nine midday in the middle of summer(left my ball on 18 green and dropped in 10 fairway)
didn't see a soul
no cups, but I knew where the Sunday pins were ;)

12 green was a favorite spot for night putting ;) as one could drive out to 10 tee at Augusta CC, 100 yards away.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back