News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Allen

Coldstream photo tour interest?
« on: September 25, 2014, 09:25:57 AM »
I just did a search and found no photo tours of Coldstream, the 1951 Dick Wilson design in Cincinnati.  It seems like (almost) the only people that know much about it are us Cincinnati locals.  Anyone interested in a photo tour?

I'm playing it today and can take some photos while there (at least of some of the more interesting holes).  Sadly, I'll only have the iPhone camera with me, so don't expect super quality.

As an aside, our host is one of the founding members of the club.  He is a young 93.  Great guy, but sadly does not hit many balls anymore.  He still loves to take us out and show off the course each year!

Jason Thurman

Re: Coldstream photo tour interest?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 09:29:44 AM »
Tom, as one of those Cincinnati locals, and a fairly recently transplanted one at that, I'm interested. I hear good things about Coldstream but really don't know anything about it.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Tom Allen

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 10:09:14 AM »
Hi Jason.  There are some interesting holes there.  I'll do my best to capture them during my round.

Now if I can just get on Camargo . . . .  ;)

Brian Finn

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 10:11:46 AM »
I am very interested in seeing photos of Coldstream as well.  Please share.

Have a great round - it's a perfect day!
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Chris DeToro

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 10:40:33 AM »
Coldstream is a fine Dick Wilson course and probably a place that qualifies in the hidden gem category.  I played here several years ago and remember liking it quite a bit.  The greens were really quick and it was pretty narrow and tree lined

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 11:39:57 AM »
Yes, very interested. Haven't seen much outside of what's visible from Asbury Rd.

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 12:54:13 PM »
I grew up in Cincinnati, but never had the opportunity to play (or visit) Coldstream. I would be very interested in a photo tour!

BHoover

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 01:19:12 PM »
Tom, I'd also be interested.  I've heard good things about Coldstream, but I haven't seen any photos. 

When you are set to do a photo tour of Camargo, I volunteer to carry your camera equipment!

JLahrman

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 01:19:50 PM »
Yes a photo tour would be nice.

I haven't played there in quite awhile, but my recollections are of a challenging course with (as Chris mentioned) quick greens. I'm not sure it will win a ton of raves on this site but one could certainly do worse.

Coldstream is definitely more challenging than Camargo from a scoring perspective, but it's telling that a thread about Coldstream is piling up as many mentions of Camargo.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 01:22:44 PM by JLahrman »

David Whitmer

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 05:07:45 PM »
Coldstream is a good, solid golf course. It was built on the family farm of the Williams family, who used to own the Cincinnati Reds back in the day. Like many courses, it used to be fairly treeless, but now has thousands of trees, which come into play on, with a few exceptions, every hole.

It is similar to other Dick Wilson courses, like NCR South. I do think NCR is the better course...better property, better par 4s. Coldstream is a tough course, though, and they have many good players as members whose handicaps travel very well.

I think the best hole is #14, a par 3. Like most holes there, the green is HUGE, sloping from front to back a bit but right to left a lot. Depending on the hole location, it can be anything from a wedge to a 7-iron. The green makes the hole.

The 18th green is like 70 yards long. When I played there a few months ago, my host told a story of some guys who were enjoying some adult beverages on the patio overlooking the green. One guy announced that he could punt a football from the back of the green to the front on a fly. Another guy quickly said "I'll bet you $100!" He then went to his car's trunk, got a football, and watched as the first guy didn't get it half way to the front of the green.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 05:14:33 PM »
I'd love to see more of DW's work on here. Please post!
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tom Allen

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 11:12:58 PM »
The day was truly fabulous!  Simply perfect weather, and great companions, who included the former pro there (a PGA Master Professional), and Jim Scott, of WLW fame.  Not only that, bit I beat my best score there by 8 shots(!).

Photos of most holes will follow in the next few days, as soon as I search the site and learn how to post the right size pictures, etc.  Several holes, including the signature hole (16), did not come out nearly as well as expected.  Next time I'll bring the DSLR.

Glad there is at least some interest here. 

Tom

JLahrman

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 11:42:14 PM »
It is odd that we've hardly ever seen this course mentioned here. Will be nice to see some photos.

BHoover

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 10:26:04 AM »
Coldstream hosted the Ohio Am earlier this year.  Interested to see some photos of a course that definitely flies under the radar in Ohio.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 09:41:51 PM »
I have played there twice. It is a good golf course. It is hard without totally destroying you.

I'd be interested in seeing photos as it has been several years since I was last there.

JLahrman

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 01:57:24 PM »
Tom, I'm not letting you off the hook, have you been able to upload any pictures? Or you could wait until January so we all have something to discuss during the cold winter.

Tom Allen

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2014, 08:59:35 PM »
I will do it right now; I have a little time and thanks for the reminder!

Tom Allen

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 06:08:43 PM »
I have not forgotten my promise JLahrman!  Work commitments kept me tied up for a few days.  I'll do my best to get some up tonight, but as I mentioned, I'm afraid they are not worth the wait.  I have now uploaded them all to photobucketas a first step to get them on here, and as I did, I was disappointed with the quality, positions they were taken from, missing shots, and lack of many green shots.  But at least you will have something.

JLahrman

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 06:38:38 PM »
No worries, anything is better than nothing. I've never seen Coldstream photos on here that I can recall.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back