News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ruediger Meyer

- I would cut the trees in our Par 4 dogleg so it becomes a risk-reward hole again

- I would redesign a few holes where the fairways for Longhitters are 60 yards wide and the fairways for Shorter hitters are only 20 Yards wide...

Eric Strulowitz

I really have few complaints about my home course in Atlanta.  

If I had to change one thing, it would be to water the fairways less and just let there be some brown.  Maybe they will do it differently this year, but it is very frustrating when you have had days without rain and your feet go swish swish  midday from watering.  The place is green beyond green, sometimes it seems like there is a phobia to be otherwise.

Secondly, I would hire rangers that do their jobs.  I remember the days where if you saw the ranger coming, it was like the principal.  You knew you were screwing up.   Instead all you have are jolly PR types, who just ride around with a big smile and remind me how nice the weather is and endlessly repeat "Sure beats a day at work" or has to remind me that "I am hitting the ball from the wrong side". ,  We have some groups that are on the greens forever, it is a nightmare.  Had almost a five hour round last week, for what I pay in dues this is unacceptable, it just comes down to rudeness.   Most folks I know play pretty fast, but the golf course is a community, and like all communities relies on mutual respect and cooperation.  It just takes on rude golfer or foursome to ruin the experience for countless others.

Dave McCollum

I am a benevolent dictator at my course.  If you need to operate as a profitable business and pay those tens of thousands in property taxes, you will make compromises.  I suppose, if I had a philosophical mission statement, it might be something like the greatest pleasure for greatest number of golfers.  That would include women, kids, chlorophyll addicts, the elderly, competitors, slackers, and everything in between.  I’ve learned (some would say the hard way) to accept a seasonal maintenance meld.  For example we play year around, depending on weather, which means that for about six months a year we play fairly fast and firm and for six months fairly soft and green.  Personally, my favorite time to play is when we are firm and fast.  However, when the weather heats up and the grass turns green, we get the most compliments about “how good the course looks.”  Heard this just yesterday from a couple of elderly retirees who play every day from the forward tees, even though faster and firmer conditions would especially benefit their games.

For the vast majority, conditioning is architecture.  It has been proved to me countless times the venue is less important than where your friends play.  Cost is also important, but probably less so than the social factors.                       

Michael Wharton-Palmer

Restore all the old Langford Bunker complexes even if at todays yardages they may be somewhat obsolete.
Remove some trees to add a few other bunkers at appropriate locations in the fairways.
Change the mow lines to accentuate that addition of bunkers, also a few tree removals to aid in this visual as well, not too many just a few pivotal ones.
Fill in the swimming pool and enlarge the driving range.

Interesting to see if Mr Doak agrees with these when he see my home course next week ;D

Guess I shouldn't pack my bathing suit?

The lake on holes 5/6 is very full at the moment!!!!!!

Adam Warren

-Remove the tree on the right of the fairwaly on 18.

-Right hand fairway bunker on number 4 about 240-260 from the tee

-Remove the trees an overzealous green chairman had planted a few years ago.  No specific ones, all of them.

-On second thought, I would blow up number 18 and start over.  Perhaps create a large dual green out of 9 and 18 in some way to route that hole a little better.

-New tees more forward on number 11 or build up the tees higher.

-Move the tee 30ish yards to the right on 13.  Solid hole where it is but it could be a great hole.

-Move the senior tee back 50 yards on 17.

-Blow up the pool, make it a golf club, and build a nice practice facility where the pool currently sits.

PCCraig

The first year or two should generally be spent on getting the little things right, which helps to get everyone moving in the same direction.

Tom,

When you have a chance, could you expound on the above and what you consider to be the "little things?"

Thank you in advance.

Mowing lines cost very little to get right, and sometimes make a big difference.  Mowing HEIGHTS can also make a big difference in keeping play moving and everyone having fun.  Many clubs act as if they are going to host a U.S. Open in two months' time, and that's not fun for most of the membership.

Depending on the club, tree removal can help people see the light ... often a handful of trees is enough to make the point.  But, that's obviously much more political at some clubs than at others.

If I had my way, also, I'd address the forward tees before I even started thinking about the back tees.  I call this, "members first".

Interesting, thank you.
H.P.S.

Jason Topp

It has been proved to me countless times the venue is less important than where your friends play. 

Despite my interest in architecture, I subscribe to this theory.

Peter Pallotta

I am a benevolent dictator at my course.  If you need to operate as a profitable business and pay those tens of thousands in property taxes, you will make compromises.  I suppose, if I had a philosophical mission statement, it might be something like the greatest pleasure for greatest number of golfers.  That would include women, kids, chlorophyll addicts, the elderly, competitors, slackers, and everything in between.  I’ve learned (some would say the hard way) to accept a seasonal maintenance meld.  For example we play year around, depending on weather, which means that for about six months a year we play fairly fast and firm and for six months fairly soft and green.  Personally, my favorite time to play is when we are firm and fast.  However, when the weather heats up and the grass turns green, we get the most compliments about “how good the course looks.”  Heard this just yesterday from a couple of elderly retirees who play every day from the forward tees, even though faster and firmer conditions would especially benefit their games.

For the vast majority, conditioning is architecture.  It has been proved to me countless times the venue is less important than where your friends play.  Cost is also important, but probably less so than the social factors.                       

I always enjoy your posts, and your experienced/balanced and sane responses.

I'd bet what is also important in the social-factors-context is that someone like you is the face of the golf course, and that your philosophy is so client-centred.

With my game (and random shot dispersions), I can make just about ANY course 'architecturally interesting'

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back