News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

J_ Crisham

Re: Golf Digest, Best in State Florida
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2014, 10:06:05 AM »
Hard to give credibility to a list that excludes Mountain Lake and The Hideout.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2014, 10:23:30 AM »
I don't know how anyone can answer this question without applying the GD formula, aggregating the categories unto a total, then coating that total against courses on the current list. Assume the course will go for an entirely new rating.

Also, to do this correctly, don't write down what you think the scores should be but rather what you think the mass of raters will write down. Of you're not sure about that, look at Jim Colton's research and correlate your category score appropriately. That actually makes the exercise much easier since by the numbers raters judge a subset of the official categories.

Curious to see what you all come up with - assuming anyone really wants an answer to the question (as opposed to fact- / number-free speculation).
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2014, 10:43:17 AM »
MB:

I 'm in the fact-and-number-free speculation camp, but I've only played half of the courses, so that would lead me to some speculation that is even more baseless. 

So, I think Country Club of Orlando, the Hideout and Mountain Lake ought to be on this list!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

BCowan

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2014, 11:00:05 AM »
Naples National should be on there, I prefer it over Calusa Pines and a few others on there. 

This interests me as the two are often compared.  Did you play them on the same trip or different trips?  I wonder how they compare/contrast when played back-to-back.  What was it about Naples National you preferred to Calusa?  Is NN your favorite course you've played in Naples?
I believe I played them in the same month.  Like you said in prior Naples thread, I don't like the Faux change of elevation at Calusa.  I played it before the clubhouse was built and it just opened.  I am no stick but I didn't think it was that hard (it probably has changed).  I do agree that the holes at Calusa are very similar and less memorable.  Naples National is my favorite course in Florida, but I haven't played many of the other great tracks in Florida to be fair.  I am in the minority, most prefer Calusa over NN i think.  I don't like 9 or 18 on NN with the use of water by the greens.  I played it 2000/01 when they had poa triv greens i believe, need to get back and play on the Champion greens they have know i think.  The greens used to be too soft at NN.  NN is one of a few courses I get the ''Butterflies'' on the first tee in excitement to play.  6 is one of my favorite short par 3's.  The course is challenging off the tee for it makes you think it is tougher by giving you visuals.  You can plot your way around the course and I like that it requires thinking.  My buddy raves about Hideout, haven't played it.  I thought Mediterra was boring, same 2nd shot on every hole.  Have u played Fiddlesticks in Ft Myers area, same friend thought it was great.  Tiburon isn't bad, they cleared out the palmetto's i think.  

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2014, 11:36:26 AM »
BCowan - I agree with you on the difficulty factor of Calusa Pines. The greens were extremely fast but other than a few holes I thought it was a very fair test.

Didn't get to play Naples National but picked my dad up from there one day. One of the best entrances and clubhouse experiences. Rumor had it Fuzzy Zoeller was there earlier and shot an 86.

Any GCA'ers going to be in Naples next week? Would love to grab a round.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2014, 11:50:35 AM »
Very recently I played Pine Tree.  Here is how my eyes and camera saw this Dick Wilson course, which I enjoyed very much:

http://xchem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/albums/pinetree/

Joe,

GREAT photo essay.

I just showed it to my son.

In all the years I've been playing Pine Tree, I never saw one snake, until your photo of # 13.

Henceforth, I shall be more vigilant.

Pat, I'm glad you liked the photo album.  We were able to get out before the club championship matches started at 8:30.  We teed off at 8:06 AM after a nice chat with Chris Lange, then really enjoyed a brisk round that finished at 11:22.

I can still remember the course vividly, which is pretty amazing considering that Mike C and I walked 36 at Streamsong the day before and stayed the night with a friend in Lakeland.  Woke up at 4 AM for the not-so-short drive to arrive at Pine Tree at 7:45 AM.   ;D
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back