News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

DMoriarty

Re: Who designed Olympic - Lakeside
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2012, 01:51:01 AM »
Sean,  Do you know anything about Fovargue working with Donald Ross, or representing him on the West Coast? 
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

TEPaul

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2012, 09:01:41 AM »
Well, at least these commentators seem to be talking on air a whole lot more about golf architecture history than they ever did before, and that's certainly a good thing!

NB: That noted golf architecture historian from the West Coast, Tommy Naccarato, informed me a few days ago that William Watson should never be called Willy or Willie Watson and that he actually hated being called that. Mr Naccarato even believes he may've been the one who was responsible for so many people calling him Willie Watson!

BCrosby

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2012, 10:37:19 AM »
Sean Tully is hidding his light under a basket. He has beeen researching the OC Lake Course for several years and recently wrote a masterful essay on its architectural history. The OC historian reviewed it and raved about it. Sean uncovered materials the club did not have. A lightly edited version should appear in the coming weeks on the USGA website and a full version, hopefully with footnotes, in the website's Architecture Archive file.

Stay tuned. Congrats to Sean.

Bob
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 10:39:22 AM by BCrosby »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2013, 01:13:10 PM »
Bob (and Sean):

Was Sean's article ever posted to the USGA archie archive?  I looked around a bit, but was unable to find anything.

As an aside, there seems to be a problem with the zoom feature for articles posted on the site.  Unless its a problem on my side, you get a blank page when trying to zoom in on any of the documents posted for the various clubs.

All the best,

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

BCrosby

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2013, 08:57:24 AM »
Sven -

Thanks for the heads up. As I recall, Sean's article appeared on the main USGA website a week or so after the Open at Olympic in '12. I will check on your other question.

Bob

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back