News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

Matchplay. Next up ANGC and Ellerston.
« on: April 01, 2015, 01:13:08 AM »

Two of my favourite types of threads on GCA are one's which show courses that are really exclusive and course vs course in matchplay.  Well after my latest world tour I was really struck that certain courses lend themselves to comparison. I'll leave my seaside match-up for another time, for now lets just appreciate how two courses half a world apart have more similarities than differences and at this moment I wanted to share my impressions with you.  I hope you enjoy the pictures and will share your own experiences of playing these remarkable courses.

Although we all feel we know Augusta because its on the TV each April, talk to anyone who's been and they will stress how the flat screen just can't do it justice. The history, the ambience the terrain, the food etc. etc.etc. And I know from years of thinking about this,  that unless you can say you've been there, you don't really know.

Ellerston at first glance is surely the opposite? Built half a century and a world away for the sole pleasure of one of the world s richest men.  But consider this; The client worked with the countries most famous and best ever golfer and told him what he wanted. Greg Norman has said the following about the commission

"For me Ellerston was a very special project. It had taken me more than ten years to convince my good friend and passionate golfer, Kerry Packer, that he should build his own golf course and when the decision was finally made, he ensured the brief was unique. Create the best golf course possible with as few tees as possible, in other words, build a golf course that ….makes the golfer think... He got all that plus more.” Remind you of anywhere?

Before we get to the course let me post some pics from inside the clubhouses and grounds. I'll only do a  few of Augusta  as you are likely familiar. The ones I've chosen make me wonder if Packer's Architects didn't look at similar images? You'll agree the similarities are remarkable.

Augusta first.

I don't recall ever actually seeing photo's inside here before?

Apparently we were given the 'special' treatment. Food is not normally served on the course.

Ellerston

Wow!

Best shower in the world?

And finally, my caddie for the day! “Memorable!”

More later as we go hole by hole. 

PS You know who you are and all I can say is “Thanks”.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Chris Kane

Re: Matchplay. Next up ANGC and Ellerston.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 01:48:13 AM »
Well played!

James Bennett

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 01:53:17 AM »
Spangles

on your recent world tour, did you get to Korea, and see the ninth bridge at Nine Bridges?
Apparently, it blends seamlessly into the surrounding landscape.
Nearly as good as the spectacular bridges at Ellerston.

By the way, it was good to catch up on your visit down under.
It was you, wasn't it?

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 03:45:00 AM »
Great thread Tony,

shame you deleted all the photos though ::)

Jon

Jim Nugent

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 07:47:46 AM »
Jon, maybe you should check your server.  Photos coming through fine here. 

David_Elvins

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 08:05:24 AM »
Nice review and photos Tony.

Wow, now that's what I call a cart girl!    Could only be legal in Australia!?  Perhaps an unfair point of comparison?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 08:25:02 AM by David_Elvins »
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Tom Kelly

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 08:18:45 AM »
I can't see the photos either, a UK problem?

MClutterbuck

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 08:28:28 AM »
Cant see them either from South America

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 08:51:22 AM »

Yes, for me too. And, needless to say, I never get tired of looking at that course in all its March splendour.

Tony - I don't know about you, but for my part I have always considered you a dear and trusted friend, a blood-brother if you will. I'm so glad you got this opportunity -- one that few could ever even imagine having. It's a dream-like place, isn't it?

Brent Hutto

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 09:23:26 AM »
I downloaded copies of all the photos before Tony took them down, if anyone's interested.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 09:35:01 AM »
I downloaded copies of all the photos before Tony took them down, if anyone's interested.

The "caddie for the day" was the best one, eh?

I mean, I still can't believe my reaction when I clicked on it and saw HIM staring back at my, with his trademark sunglasses and famous grin standing there with Tony's bag on his shoulder. I imagined him about to shout "You can't HANDLE the truth!"

David Davis

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 10:07:27 AM »
Strange I can see the photos just fine. I look forward to the hole by hole comparisons to see if what I remember from my multiple plays at each meshes with yours visit.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 03:07:09 PM »

Brent,

are you going to auction them off to the highest bidder ;D

James Bennett

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 04:40:39 PM »
Tony, on your way home, did you get to see Foule Point as planned?
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 04:44:08 PM »

Like he said, the similarity is amazing.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 08:18:32 PM »
Tony

You can assume Bobby Jones never said to Alister MacKenzie 'I don't care what you do - just make it f..... hard.'
(Kerry Packer to Bob Harrison)

James Bennett

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2015, 09:01:58 PM »
Mike

I expect Augusta has a better set of ladies tees.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 09:39:30 PM »
with a little diligent searching you can still find the ellerston cart girl image online. Too bad I didn't check the thread out yesterday

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back