News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Molyneux

The Worst Golf in the US
« on: September 14, 2013, 01:31:59 PM »
In 1995, I picked up a book titled America’s Worst Golf Courses (John Garrity, Collier Books). Reading about the worst of anything is a lot like reading about the best of anything (It’s instructive.) and it’s usually just as entertaining. Garrity talked about entire clubs that were in his opinion ill-conceived or poorly executed but he also took the time to list his 18 worst holes in the country… ever. I got to wondering how many (if any) of these holes still exist largely unaltered from years ago. I’m also curious to hear your opinions on any of these that you may have played. I can speak for at least three holes:

Stone Harbor GC in Cape May NJ #7, par 3 at 148 yards… “Jaws”, which got bulldozed but not before the lake ate countless dozens of my golf balls. Ron Whitten suggested this hole “… epitomizes all that’s bad in golf design”.

Pocono Manor East #7 in Pocono Manor, PA , par 3 at 77 yards… is still there though you might not get that clammy, claustrophobic feel since the towering trees behind the green have been removed allowing the winds to play with the delicate tee shot from 100 feet up in the air over a stream and boulders to a green that’s shallower and narrower than a flag stick placed upon it..

Z-Boaz #19 in Fort Worth TX, par 12 at 2000 yards, “from the Northeast corner of the property to the Checks Cashed sign in the southeast corner”.  Finish 18… drink someplace and come back for the finisher. I recommend it.

The rest of the 18 included:

Blush Hill CC in Waterbury VT #3, a par 4 at 206 yards, “Local Rule: Any ball hitting white house, wires, or radio tower on the fly may be replayed.”.

TPC Sawgrass in Ponte Verde FL, a par 3 at 132 yards, “The easiest par 5 in golf.” (John Mahaffey)

Bobby Jones Municipal GC in Atlanta GA #9, a par 4 at 360 yards. “Let’s just say the ninth lacks definition.”

Bobby Jones Municipal GC in Atlanta GA #3 and #13, par 6 at 335 yards “combined”. “… tee at the bottom of a 100 foot bluff and green at the top on #3 then #13 with the tee up top and Peachtree Creek at the bottom; the approach is over one green to the green you’re shooting at.”

Penderbrook GC in Fairfax VA #12, par 4 at 395 yards, “I’d like to dynamite the damned thing.”

CC of Charleston in Charleston SC #11, a par 3 at 187 yards, bad enough to elicit Ben Hogan’s assessment of CC of Charleston as the best 17 hole golf course in America.”

Wentworth-by-the-Sea in Rye NH #14 a par 4 at 415 yards, “forced carry of 180 yards off the tee followed by a 2nd shot to a green elevated more than 30 feet and tucked behind a double trunked tree.”

Blue River GC in Kansas City, KS #12 a 234 yard par 4, “easily tamed by anyone who can hit a controlled draw with a 1 iron”.

Cypress Point Club #18 in Monterey CA a 346 yard par 4, shock pick! “In its context, strangely cramped, awkward, ungainly, bewildering, and not so hot as a spectator hole either.”

Lake Coeur d’Alene GC #14 a par 3 with “variable” yardage, “If an island green is a bad idea, how about an island green that moves?”

Hannastown GC #5 in Greensburg, PA, 400 yard par 4, “Legal decision: The club is a half century older than the house that gets pelted regularly as members aim at the house and play for a draw.”

Williston GC in Williston VT #10 and/or 11 a par 4 at 335 and a par 3 at 170, “… either of these holes would be unremarkable if they didn’t cross each other.”

Jack Nicklaus Private Course at PGA West #10 in LaQuinta CA a par 4 at 385, “designed by Nicklaus during his Pete-Dye-is-a-softy period”.

Carmel Valley Ranch Resort #12, a 407 yard par 4 in Carmel CA, “Is it the most beautiful, bad hole in all of golf?” “I wouldn’t know. I was too busy throwing clubs to appreciate the scenery.”

Fort Meade City Mobile Home Park GC #9 in Ft. Meade FL a par 3 at 142 yards. Called “The Gauntlet” because it bisects the previous eight holes. Said to have been designed by Jack Kevorkian.

Lastly, if there are suggestions to replace any of these classic holes that may have gone the way of the ‘dozer, let them be known!

Dan Herrmann

Re: The Worst Golf in the US
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 05:39:32 PM »
Ledgerock in Reading, PA - Hole #17 and #18 may be the worst pair of finishing holes on a good golf course I've ever played.  I think a lot of the problem is that Rees Jones traversed the creeks and chasms instead of a parallel routing.  

17 is LONG par 4 that's uphill to a very small green surrounded by bunkers and trees that may be impossible to hit from 150.

#18 is a 627 yard par 5 with a strangely placed water hazard (creek/chasm) in front of the green that makes for a clumsy distance calculation for anybody with a handicap of over 5.  

Then again, maybe I'm just not good enough :)

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 06:17:10 PM »
I love that book. Sadly the 12th at Penderbrook fell victim to redesign and I believe Z Boaz in its entirety has gone bye bye.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 06:18:23 PM »
I love that book. Sadly the 12th at Penderbrook fell victim to redesign and I believe Z Boaz in its entirety has gone bye bye.

I think Z Boaz has been gone for 4 or 5 years now.

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 10:20:36 AM »
I guess I must be missing something because I love the 11th hole at CC of Charleston. For those who haven't played it, it's a reverse redan design playing from an elevated tee to an elevated redan style green, big bunker left, and bunker short right. The green curves left to right and has a tilted ramp at its front. It is a tricky hole, no doubt. I am surprised Hogan criticised it, it would have fit his cut perfectly. Sorry I don't have a picture of it.

BCrosby

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 10:59:39 AM »
We should have more of these kinds of books. They are good indicators of tastes at any particular time, better than 'best of' books. I'd guess that a book of worst holes published in 1960 would contain some holes we think of today as being quite good.

I note that the Bobby Jones Muni in Atlanta leads the pack with three holes referenced. Well deserved.

Bob

Rees Milikin

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 11:08:27 AM »
Streamsong and Ft. Meade Mobile Home GC are near each other, so start at Streamsong, then Ft. Meade, and lastly Mountain Lake.  Play two of the finest and the worst FL has to offer.  Wearing Jorts while playing Ft. meade will be a requirement.

Brian Ross

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 12:36:48 PM »
I guess I must be missing something because I love the 11th hole at CC of Charleston. For those who haven't played it, it's a reverse redan design playing from an elevated tee to an elevated redan style green, big bunker left, and bunker short right. The green curves left to right and has a tilted ramp at its front. It is a tricky hole, no doubt. I am surprised Hogan criticised it, it would have fit his cut perfectly. Sorry I don't have a picture of it.

I agree!  It's one of the best holes on the course and definitely the best par 3.  Not sure why the hatred, though it is a tough hole!

« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 12:41:29 PM by Brian Ross »
Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.

http://www.rossgolfarchitects.com

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 01:28:24 PM »
Brian,
    Thank's for the photo posting and I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking it an interesting hole and a good one. When I think of CC of Charleston 11 and 16 jump to mind immediately. 16 is a wonderful par 4 with a lion's mouth bunker.
   CC of Charleston is on a flat site with no more than 25 feet of total elevation change. In a wind it plays a lot tougher than it looks and it has an assortment of distinguished golf holes.
    I was told by a caddie at The Ocean Course that he had attempted to qualify for the Mid Am at CC of C about four years ago. He said that as he played the course there were small groups of spectators, mostly family members scattered around. When he got to 11, he climbed up onto the tee to find a large group of members sitting around the hole watching the action. He parred the hole, but one fellow competetor, made 7 as he went bunker to bunker to bunker in his first 4 shots. That is something that can happen on this hole, as I think your pictures hint at.
   I was also told by a member that some players intentionally play short of the hole and negoatiate the 2nd shot from the base of the hill at the entry to the green. This strategy takes the bunkers out of play and makes 4 a likely score and 3 a possible score.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 02:11:54 PM »
I agree on the 18th at CPC.

Pete Dye came back to to the Carmel Valley Ranch, removed the rail-road ties from the middle of the fairway on the twefth hole and now it is not that bad.

Bob
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 11:49:35 AM by Bob_Huntley »

Austin Wade

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 06:24:59 PM »
Haha, I think the 9th hole is the only hole on the Ft Meade golf course that is long enough to be considered a hole.  The rest are 40 yards or so I believe.  I live in the area and didn't even know it existed until very recently. 

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 09:56:12 PM »
Q - If we believe we should play the golf ball as it lies, shouldn't we at least be willing to play a golf hole as it lies?

A: Yes -- unless it gives us a bloody nose, and then we can condemn it as the worst example of golf architecture imaginable.

Q: Oh. But then why are there are some tough golf holes that give bloody noses and yet we still call them great?

A: Ah, that's because they give the other guy a bloodier nose than the one we got.

Q: But we still got our nose bloodied too, didn't we?

A: Sure, but we were expecting to make a bogie anyway, what with all the options and strategic choices we had to deal with.  

Q: Oh, I see: so if we get a bloody nose and it's all our own damn fault, that's okay -- the hole isn't a piece of crap?

A: Exactly. We can make all the bad choices and sloppy shots we want, but if the golf hole doesn't cause any of them then it can still be called great.

Q: Hmmm. But, where's the architecture in that? I mean, if the design doesn't provide the challenge but we provide it ourselves, why are we calling it a great hole?

A: Oh, I get it -- you're an average golfer, aren't you. Listen, you should really check out this website, golfclubatlas.com. It'll teach you a lot, and once you do you'll understand just how wrong you are.

Trey Kemp

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 10:01:28 PM »
Z Boaz in Fort Worth closed last year, it is in the process of becoming a park.  

Kelly, I have played Shady Oaks numerous times over the past 5 years and there are not any blind par 3's.  The only par 3 that I can think of that could have possibly played uphill to a blind green is #7, but today you can see the green so maybe at some point the tees were raised.
twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

Greg Gilson

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 02:49:15 AM »
Penderbrook GC in Fairfax VA #12, par 4 at 395 yards, “I’d like to dynamite the damned thing.”

Somebody must have. Its now 295.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 10:19:01 AM »
Country Club of the Poconos at Big Ridge......how not to design an entire course.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 12:00:49 PM »
The 9th and 18th at Persimmon in Gresham, OR both play downhill with a 100 yard carry over a deep overgrown ravine. A good drive leaves you 150 away with a downhill lie. The typical play is a chip of up to 50 yards to the edge of the ravine where the lies finally flatten out.

Quotes from members.
"Those two holes make it very difficult to recruit new members."
"The ladies absolutely hate them."

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back