News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Updated Kittansett profile posted under Courses by Country New
« on: December 04, 2019, 03:00:08 PM »
 http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/kittansett/

Some restorations are more important than others. Perhaps you disagree but when a course occupies an exceptional parcel of land, the stakes are high. Who doesn’t like coastal golf? Answer: no one. Who doesn’t like golf in New England? Again, no one. Add those two elements together and you have Kittansett. Its coastal setting is once again prominent after needed brush and tree clearing and its spectacular holes on the southern end of the peninsula include 2, 3, 16 and 17.  Personally, my favorite sustained stretched is the inland bit from 5 through to 13. That’s a vastly different answer than I would have given before.

In the past, I have been slow to praise the course. In 1985, I recall the 3rd, 4th, 11th, and 12th holes as being standouts and that was about it. Upon revisiting in 2002, I thought enough to do a GCA profile but … actions speak louder than words and I didn’t return until this year. And in 2019, any reservation has been peeled away. In fact, with medium size greens that average 4,683 square feet, and with so many central features (be it in the form of grassed-over rock formations, bunkers and/or interrupted fairways), you have a type design that no one builds any more. My appreciation has skyrocketed to the point where I went once in May and again in October. Walking the course in October’s nor’easter was a particular thrill (!) but it also means I am using Todd Richins' fall photographs, for which I am most grateful.

You can read about the transformation in this updated profile which tracks what Hanse Design has accomplished here over the past 21 years. Basically, they reverted the course back to a design that is blessed with many old-fashioned features.  For some, the word ‘old-fashioned’ means out of date but obviously, I am not one of those. Rather, the word ‘old-fashioned’ to me in golf architecture harkens to the days when architects made their courses feature-rich with lots of hurdles of all shapes and sizes to overcome and left it to you to sort out. They didn’t pander to one style of player over another, like some of the modern courses do with insane width. To paraphrase Sherlock Holmes, ‘The game is afoot at Kittansett!’ Players have to hit fairways to hold these medium size greens. The requirement to execute the prior shot well to gain an advantage for the next one is acutely felt, and the design sniffs out who is ‘on’ and who is a bit ‘off’ on any given day.

Don’t get me wrong – the fairways are generally 40+ yards in width so they aren’t narrow/tight like they were in 1985 when I first saw them. However, now the golfer is given the prerequisite room to enter into a match of wits and angles with William Flynn. Wayne Morrison praises the sophisticated use of angles at Kittansett which I didn’t experience in 1985 nor in 2002. Today’s course is a vastly different playing experience, all for the better. 

Wayne also notes that Flynn & Toomey’s regular construction team wasn’t employed here. Rather, the owner of the property, Fred Hood, oversaw construction with a team he assembled in 1921. Perhaps for that reason, the course seems to have its own voice with some of the positively most dazzling irregular clumps and mounds in the sport (apart from the famous ones, there is the one back of 8, 40 yards short right of the 12th green, and inside the dogleg on 13 to name three).

Add it all together – diverse property, a feature-rich Flynn design, cool construction techniques employed – and you have something special. Good for it  – this is too special an opportunity to not get dialed-in. After all, rollicking land forms were never the star at Kittansett, design features were - and that's precisely where the course once again finds itself, much to the delight of all.

Best,
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 05:56:26 AM by Ran Morrissett »

Dan_Callahan

Re: Updated Kittansett profile posted under Courses by Country
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 03:39:32 PM »
Great update. The tree clearing has made such a massive difference. While Shinnecock is probably the BEST course I've played in the US, Kittansett is the one I would most enjoy playing every day. And I'm glad you highlighted the 13th, which is in my opinion maybe the best hole on the course even though it is far removed from the coast.

John Blain

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 04:42:33 PM »
I played in a USGA Senior Open qualifier at Kittansett 7 or 8 years and loved the course and club. It's an old Yankee club, very understated and elegant. The clubhouse has rooms for lodging and the club hosted the Walker Cup back in either 1951 or 1953 if that tells you anything about the place.
It's a great course and can be an absolute beast when the wind blows which I think is pretty much every day!
I believe they are hosting the USGA Senior Amateur in 2022.
A very special place and I feel fortunate I was able to play there.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 05:05:24 AM »
Wow! Looks terrific.
Atb

John Foley

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 10:37:45 AM »
So cool. One of my favorite places I've ever had the pleasure to play. Love the course, love the area love the vibe. Great write up!!
Integrity in the moment of choice

Tim Martin

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 11:27:09 AM »
Trying to think of a better collection of par three holes. Location isn’t bad either.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 02:12:16 PM »
Trying to think of a better collection of par three holes. Location isn’t bad either.
I played it in an absolute rainstorm to the point my dad/brother stopped on 12 and I was soaked already with waterproof gloves and  stayed with my caddie who was a trooper and tipped him well.  I loved the par 3's primarily because I birdied both of them on the back (lightning must have struck).  Hit it to 2 feet on the first par 3 on the back (used a 5 wood I remember) and then to about 10 feet and made a birdie on the second one.  The other memorable thing was playing 18 taking a drop from casual water on a low spot in the fairway where the ball was under 3 inches of water. The greens drained amazingly well however, as I don't recall much standing water if any on the back 9 greens. I really loved the location and how secluded it is.  The clubhouse renovation is first class and quaint locker room for the small membership.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 07:55:39 PM »
Ran,

Glad to see you have a newfound appreciation of the joys of Kittansett; your paucity of holes profiled in the original review indicated you were underwhelmed. Gil’s work has truly transformed the course into what could be considered the 2cnd best in Mass; although Eastward Ho! certainly has better topography for Top notch golf. It was always a treat for golfers from the Greater New Bedford region to be extended an opportunity to play there. I first played it while in college with a classmate who was an assistant pro from western Mass; I distinctly remember him stating that they must care a lot about the course because the maintenance workers were all middle aged and certainly commanded good salaries.

The rock pile hazards are not unique to the area as just down a mile on point Road is Little Marion, a 9 hole corse designed by George Thomas in 1914. The locals referred to it as “The Indian Burial  Grounds” as the rock piles were much larger but placed either perpendicular or parallel to the line of play; true Steeple Chase Architecture,

The broken ground hazards Gil installed were not present on my last play about 10 years ago. The tree clearing had taken place and did do wonders to open up the vistas. However the native trees, scrub oak and pine are amazing short specimens, well adapted to the windy conditions found on Cape Cod. Marion isn’t the sailing capital of Mass. without the ever present wind! Golfers still had to contend with the wind as these trees did little to protect a shot that was well lofted.

Thanks for an excellent profile of a wonderfully designed and well stewarded course!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Tim Martin

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2019, 05:14:10 PM »
On a golf course where there are so many good holes 18 leaves me a little flat. The blue tee lists the yardage at 460 and a par four on the card while the white tee lists the yardage at 455 and a par five on the card. It’s not a bad hole in the same way Yale 16 is not a bad hole if that makes any sense. It’s serviceable but not noteworthy.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2019, 11:21:06 AM »
I will have to return to the club. In my one and only pay in 1995 I too was underwhelmed. I thought the course relied too heavily on numbers 2, 3, and the closing holes for its renown. Your review makes we want to play it again.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Willie_Dow

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2019, 11:24:20 AM »
Sort of strange that there little mention of the wind from the North in the AM which usually turns to the South in the PM.

Not a big point on a calm day, but very important on your starting time "weather permitting" !

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back