News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: "Country clubs working to keep membership levels"
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 10:40:07 PM »
A friend in Philly just sent me this email:

First Niagara Bank (Maple Glen branch) is offering 5 free rounds of golf at TalamoreCC if you sign up for a First Niagara MasterCard
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 11:03:11 PM »
David,

It's systemic, except for the iconic clubs.

Everyone is having membership problems.

The demographic has changed, the cultural patterns have changed, utilization has changed and the base has changed.

Hard times continue to lie ahead

john_stiles

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 11:43:20 PM »

In the southeast, except at the iconic clubs,  my sense is that it is the same.

The  60s to 70s age members are slowing moving on for a variety of reasons, including economic issues.

Now, in last 10 years, or 5 years,  the mid 30s to 40s are joining at a 'slower rate'  for reasons regarding family, life style, and still economic.

Though I joined in the 1980s, most of the members are still my age ??

Since I am a geezer, I'll say   WUWT......what's up with that... versus  WTF.

That said,  the clubs are working hard to get more members.......as the topic states.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 01:22:52 AM »
David, isn't that Chronicle story from 2009?  I remember that mention of the member's kids playing in the bunkers at Lake Merced.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

John Blain

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 07:18:05 AM »
Good catch, Kevin. The question is are things better or worse four years later?

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 09:26:02 AM »
Kevin & JP -

You guys are absolutely correct. My bad, I don't know how that article popped up on my screen.

Given how strong the SF Bay Area economy has been as of late, I would certainly expect the situation to be a lot better than it was in 2009.

DT

Terry Lavin

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 09:55:19 AM »
One expects better linkage diligence from the esteemed Mr. Tepper.    8)
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Ryan McLaughlin

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 10:20:20 AM »
I think the economics of the general area and the model of private clubs are separate things.  I have seen clubs in my area reduce some things but not get to the point where they are going to attract a volume of more people.  It is still 1k a month in dues not including carts for even your average club.  Thats crazy.  I wonder if they will have to drastically adjust to survive. 

The economic distress is loosing somewhat but young people are not joining private clubs.....thats the inherent future issue.

Tim Martin

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 10:55:41 AM »
One thing I have been seeing recently is that some clubs that have historically had initiation fees are waiving them but requiring that the flat fee annual dues for the year be paid up front and then all the residual charges being billed out monthly. At least this requires some skin in the game versus the guy that joins with no initiation and walks away after using the club for 3 or 4 months during the Summer.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 10:57:17 AM by Tim Martin »

john_stiles

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 11:45:59 AM »

Since  2009 ,  and continuing today at the less than iconic clubs in the southeast,   initiation fees are way down,  remain low, and most clubs would be ecstatic to have another 5 members.    Waiting lists are almost a thing of the past.

The most selective club in my area, and it is very high end as to amenities and services, with high dues.......the initiation is much lower as compared to 1990s and process to join is now extremely streamlined.

Not much has changed since 2009 in my opinion, as far as clubs in my area, or based on what I glean from friends in the southeast.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 04:36:50 PM »
Golf clubs stuck in the 1950's will perish. 
Golf clubs that need members but still require 4 current members to endorse a candidate will perish.
Golf clubs that treat women as 3rd class members will perish.
Golf clubs that don't welcome a diverse membership will perish.
Golf clubs that don't have good junior programs will perish.
Golf clubs that serve as "fronts" for food and beverage enterprises will perish.

I'm not talking about the iconic clubs here - they'll always be OK.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 04:54:44 PM »
I've never played Lake Merced, but $103,000 seems awful steep for what, at best would rate as the 3rd best track on Lake Merced.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 02:31:38 PM »
I've never played Lake Merced, but $103,000 seems awful steep for what, at best would rate as the 3rd best track on Lake Merced.

A recent rumor had a real estate developer offering each member over $1 million to buy the club.

Since this article the economy has obviously recovered and memberships and club finances are not so dire at least in the Bay Area.   Many clubs are full and others are on the upswing. 

Nigel Islam

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 06:45:33 PM »

A recent rumor had a real estate developer offering each member over $1 million to buy the club.

Since this article the economy has obviously recovered and memberships and club finances are not so dire at least in the Bay Area.   Many clubs are full and others are on the upswing. 

That explains it to me then. Hadn't thought of that angle.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 08:49:41 PM »

Golf clubs stuck in the 1950's will perish. 

What does that mean ?

Golf clubs that need members but still require 4 current members to endorse a candidate will perish.

Clubs that don't require current members to endorse candidate will perish and prior to perishing, their culture will change.
The WORST thing you can do is bring "unknowns" into a club.

Golf clubs that treat women as 3rd class members will perish.

What do you mean by 3rd class members ?
Would you identify those clubs ?

Golf clubs that don't welcome a diverse membership will perish.

Depends upon the location of the club.
I don't see Century, Sunningdale, Piping Rock or the Creek perishing

Golf clubs that don't have good junior programs will perish.

That's no longer true.
For decades, junior members were the life blood of the clubs.
Junior members were groomed to become the next generation of members.
Sadly, costs have caused a disconnect in that pipeline.

Golf clubs that serve as "fronts" for food and beverage enterprises will perish.

Would you identify those clubs ?

I'm not talking about the iconic clubs here - they'll always be OK.

Location and the quality of the product continue to be the lure.
The Generalizations you listed 

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 09:03:08 PM »
Patrick:
#1 - Golf clubs that conform to social norms of 50 years ago will perish.   Today's younger people and many of us in our 50's (me included) think a lot of these sort of things are foolish.  I joined a club for recreational purposes, not for debutante balls.

#2 - In my mind, in today's economy, if you have the credit rating, the funds, and the love of golf, you're in.  With a big majority of clubs having membership gaps, I don't know how else you can operate.

#3 - Women in old-style clubs are usually thought of in terms of the 50's - housewives that just want to play bridge and golf on "Ladies Day".  Today's women want equality.   Our club has open tee times for all, and we've gained members because of it.  Our Women's member-guest took place on a Sunday, and I don't think a single guy complained.  It was a complete success for the club.

#4 - I meant to portray the need for a family environment.  The reason juniors aren't becoming members (IMHO) is tied to the above.  For example, after I was engaged, I wanted to "up" my membership to a family membership, but I was told, in no uncertain terms that I was not allowed to do so.  And I was even getting married at the club.   

#5 - So many clubs are wedding factories and get funding by monthly food mins.   I'm all for supporting the club, but it's a tough sell for a $12 hamburger when you can get something better down the street for 1/3 the cost.  Give me a value for my limited dollars, and I'll buy your food - happily.   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back