News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

Patrick_Mucci

Where's the love for
« on: June 30, 2013, 01:44:20 AM »
Fox Chapel ?

On the Golf Channel this week.

BHoover

Re: Where's the love for
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 07:09:03 AM »
I'm definitely loving it. The rain has been unfortunate. But I love what I've seen of the course on TV.

I've never played a Raynor, and here in Ohio, there aren't a lot of Raynor's nearby. Anytime I get to see one on TV, it's a treat (Fox Chapel, Old White).

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 09:24:38 AM »
I liked what I saw at Fox Chapel. My question is, how do they cut the grass on the almost vertical walls of the bunkers?

William_G

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 09:49:56 AM »
I love Raynor   :-*

the weather patterns of the NE are not lovely for golf

it is interesting how many courses in PA have a creek that floods running through it  :o
It's all about the golf!

Bill Vogeney

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 10:22:00 AM »
Will be watching today. Saw a little yesterday. Looks awesome. Just played Shoreacres this past week, my first Raynor design. It was awesome

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 10:51:36 AM »
I liked what I saw at Fox Chapel. My question is, how do they cut the grass on the almost vertical walls of the bunkers?
My guess is...

with a fly mower.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Terry Lavin

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 10:54:42 AM »
The course looks terrific on television. The Seniors don't provide the most gripping theater, but it's nice to see a classic course with a classy setup.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

David Lott

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 03:26:49 PM »
Kenny Perry loves it! Congratulations.

FCGC was where I played as a kid. Lucky me. A wonderful course but Perry and Couples have shown what a skilled long hitting player can do to an older course with respect to par. Fox Chapel isn't Merion in terms of difficulty, partly because it lacks holes that can challenge today's long hitters. Although not long in terms of total yardage, Merion had some individual holes that were difficult as a result of their length. Fox Chapel has none, with the possible exception of #8.

I've only played Fox Chapel once since the tree removal. It's pretty much the same course it was in the 1950's-60's but more lush because of irrigation.
David Lott

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 07:07:41 PM »
I'll be there the third week of September.  I am really looking forward to it.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 07:32:32 PM »
"with a fly mower."

Adam C. -

Fly mowers are a fairly recent invention. How were those vertical slopes mowed 20, 40, 60 years ago?

DT

Nigel Islam

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 08:24:18 PM »
Seems like a terrific course. It be top two on my wish list if I'm ever in Pittsburgh.

George Pazin

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 10:33:28 AM »
"with a fly mower."

Adam C. -

Fly mowers are a fairly recent invention. How were those vertical slopes mowed 20, 40, 60 years ago?

DT

I'm not sure those steep grass faces existed that long ago. I did a thread on here many years ago, during or right after the Curtis Cup, and posted photos from pre- and post-restoration/renovation. The bunkers are much more menacing now, at least as compared to immediately prior to the work, done by Brian Silva, I believe. I'll try to find the thread, though I doubt the pics still exist. I'll have to hunt for those as well.

FC has some of the best golf land in the Burgh, that's for sure - lovely rolling hills intersecting with a few bold landforms. And a wonderful membership that is dedicated to presenting this beauty in fine form.

I know they played here last year as well - can someone remind me of the plans for the Senior Players in the future? I seem to recall it's going somewhere else next year, but may be back soon thereafter.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Paul Jones

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 10:50:49 AM »

Not sure at Fox Chapel, I have seen guys take off handles/bar and tie ropes to a push mowers wheels and walk along the top and pull the mowers up.  Not sure if I am explaining that correctly, but will look for a picture.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back