News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Franklin

Panama City Florida
« on: June 26, 2013, 11:44:52 AM »
I am taking my family there for a week in July. Is there anything worth playinig in that area or do I leave my clubs at home?
Mr Hurricane

Mike Hendren

Re: Panama City Florida
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 12:00:41 PM »
Fazio built a decent course on a great site at Camp Creek.

Norman's Sharks Tooth has a great start before totaling derailing at the par five 6th.

I like the Origins course at Watersound, an innovative and fun design by Davis Love's firm that can play as a 6 hole regulation course, 9 hole executive course or 10 holes par three course.  

I quit taking my clubs to the beach years ago.

Bogey
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 03:50:49 PM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Sam Morrow

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 12:04:53 PM »
Drive the 2 hours or so over and play Pensacola with McBride, some pretty neat holes plus you get to hang out with Bill.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 02:57:29 PM »
Thanks for the tips. i will do some research to see what I can do. (meaning talk to the wife to see what is doable)
Mr Hurricane

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 03:16:53 PM »
If you're heading to Pensacola Eglin AFB is between and I just moved out here/there.  Not sure I can fully recommend them but they are some of the best military courses and I enjoy them.

Adam_Messix

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 03:32:34 PM »
There are two courses worth seeing within easy driving distance.  Camp Creek is a really good Fazio effort and far from easy and Shark's Tooth which has gone done hill a little bit conditioning wise in the past few years.  I agree with the comments on #6, it was the result of an environmentalist debacle. 

Keith Williams

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 03:49:14 PM »
The area has its share of decent courses, but no real standouts.  Panama City lost a museum-worth gem when the old Lagoon Legend was bulldozed.

I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but for that area I favor Windswept Dunes.  Its a bit of a drive being up in Freeport, and it certainly qualifies as cart-ball; but many of the holes themselves are very good and it has lots of features favored here in the treehouse - centerline hazards, angles, etc.

Keith.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 03:57:46 PM »
The area has its share of decent courses, but no real standouts.  Panama City lost a museum-worth gem when the old Lagoon Legend was bulldozed.

I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but for that area I favor Windswept Dunes.  Its a bit of a drive being up in Freeport, and it certainly qualifies as cart-ball; but many of the holes themselves are very good and it has lots of features favored here in the treehouse - centerline hazards, angles, etc.

Keith.

Keith, I liked Windswept Dunes too.

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 08:56:33 PM »
Windswept Dunes has some of the isolation factor found at Camp Creek, but at much lower green fees.

I have heard the conditioning has deteriorated though...

RJ_Daley

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 09:33:44 PM »
A friend of mine likes the Falcon course at Eglin AFB.  The Eagle course there seems to have an interesting past.  I thought I heard once who the architect was, but can't remember, and all the websites have the architects listed as unknown.  Interesting that the first course there was from the 1920s and allegedly a stop over for Al Capone. 

http://www.afcec.lackland.af.mil/GEM/courses/courses.asp?GEM_ID=28

Perhaps Ben Sims will see this and give the critique of these two Air Force courses. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 01:09:17 AM »
A friend of mine likes the Falcon course at Eglin AFB.  The Eagle course there seems to have an interesting past.  I thought I heard once who the architect was, but can't remember, and all the websites have the architects listed as unknown.  Interesting that the first course there was from the 1920s and allegedly a stop over for Al Capone. 

http://www.afcec.lackland.af.mil/GEM/courses/courses.asp?GEM_ID=28

Perhaps Ben Sims will see this and give the critique of these two Air Force courses. 

Eagle course is a Langford/Moreau. Its in The Architects of Golf that way at least.

JR Potts

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 08:07:19 AM »
What week are you heading down?

Pat Burke

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 12:53:50 PM »
Hombre has hosted Hogan Tour and PGA Tour qualifying events in the past.
Pretty typical course for the area, but there are a couple of cool shots out there.

mike_beene

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2013, 12:27:00 AM »
Is that fun little par 3 course with a few bay front holes still there?I think it was on the island side of the Fort Walton bridge.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back