News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Beard

St. Louis Golf
« on: July 08, 2013, 04:50:41 PM »
I have played Bellerive and Old Warson and have the opportunity to play in St. Louis.  Should I play St. Albans or Boone Valle?.  The Hurdzan-Fry course at St. Albans is intriguing.

Mark Saltzman

Re: St. Louis Golf
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 05:09:38 PM »
I've never been, but isn't SLCC the no-brainer if available?

Jim Beard

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 05:17:03 PM »
Mark,
In total agreement, but have to play during the week and I will be there on the weekend.  MacDonald is my favorite designer and SLCC and The Creek Club are the two main courses that I haven't played.

Scott DeBolt

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 05:27:51 PM »
I have played St Albans several years ago....actually played it with Dana Fry and Mike Hurdzan... I think you will like it....  if you have time...go play Od Hawthorn in Columbia....  pretty new course designed by a friend of mine (Art Schaupeter)...its a bit of a drive but I think you will like the golf course....  have fun

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 05:45:39 PM »
Jim,

Have you played Glen Echo?
H.P.S.

David Amarnek

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 06:02:30 PM »
Jim,
Are you asking which of the two, St. A or BV, you would play, or are you open to other suggestions?
Glen Echo is an enjoyable course with the significance of having held the last Olympic golf competition in 1904.  It's still pretty much as it was back then.
Of the two courses you mentioned, I much prefer BV over St. A.
Additionally, Meadowbrook, Algonquin and Norwood Hills are good courses that may allow unaccompanied play.
David

Jeff_Stettner

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 06:55:07 PM »
Boone Valley is certainly a more interesting place to play than St. Albans. The Missouri rankings by all major publications are a great mystery to me... either the sample size is too small or the courses at the top are providing a level of service that I, as a local, have never received. Just played Boone last week and it is in tremendous condition. 

I am a member of Glen Echo now and really love the place... but I am obviously biased. The bunkers were rebuilt last year and the course is in the best shape it's ever been. It will never make anybody's greatest hits list, but the place oozes history and the routing and shot values are both excellent. Tiny greens. If you would like company there I would be happy to host, schedule permitting.

Norwood Hills is another solid place mentioned above. Worth a visit as well. I prefer Glen Echo but my bias is obvious.

Algonquin is cool and fun, short and quirky. Very active club.

A modern course that flies under the radar but is pretty darn good is Persimmon Woods. STL resident Art Shaupeter did the heavy lifting on the design and build. It's a nice golf-only course with a nice mix of longer and shorter holes. Tight routing.

Brian Noser

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 08:17:15 PM »
Yes some of the ratings are not exactly right, but it all about preference. Dalhousie is good but it was not #1 like it was a couple years ago. But it was new and the newness has worn off a little. It has the wow factor and the named GCA. BV is very good it is be close to my favorite in the area. Of the ones you have played I would have BV next on your list, then its preference after that. But there are lots of good suggestions here. Let one of us know if you want to get together for some golf.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back