News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

SteveOgulukian

Tallgrass #6
« on: May 11, 2013, 02:09:14 PM »
Well, it's official.  Tallgrass is converting their par 4 sixth hole to a par 3.  It has played as a par three for last 2 years off of a temporary tee box.  What a shame, they are turning one of the top holes on this course into one of the worst.

http://www.golfonlongisland.com/teebox/2013/05/tallgrass-converting-6-to-a-par-3.html

Jeff Evagues

Re: Tallgrass #6
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 04:30:08 PM »
My friends son is an Assistant pro there so I have been playing it alot lately. The (small) green was designed for short irons, not a 180 yard shot.
Be the ball

Jay Flemma

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 11:48:34 AM »
It's not like it's their fault.  Idiots trying to drive the green are pull hooking into the neighbor's yard.  Personally I think only an octopus with a cannon could hit that house in the first place.

But the GOOD news is they may make 18 a par-5, taking the tee box all the way back to the tee box on 2.  I played it there earlier this year and it was excellent!  It turned one of the worst holes on the course into a good one!
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 12:13:57 PM »
I was told 18 would use the 16th tee box with a new (shorter) tee built for 16.
Be the ball

Jay Flemma

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 01:31:04 PM »
That was the first idea they bandied about last year...but someone came up with the idea about sharing with 2 and not touching 16 at all b/c it's such a strong hole.  I played 18 from that proposed new tee and love it.

Nothing has been decided for certain yet, though.  It's still in the ideas stage.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

SteveOgulukian

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 01:55:20 PM »
If you used the tee box of #2 were you 1) able to reach the fairway? and 2) did you have to hit over the 1st fairway?

I don't really see how they can safely pull this off.

B.Ross

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 08:57:30 PM »
18 at tallgrass is a challenging hole, only if you play into hanse's hand. the play on 18 is hit into the first fairway as its wide open instead of trying to squeeze a drive between those 2 traps. all the scratch golfers who i've played TG w/ have done this in real time and suggested that all single digits attempt to do the same.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 04:45:53 PM »
Steve - I used the FRONT tee of 2, the ladies tee...it's points straight down the fairway, you don't cross over anything.  It's a tough drive, but it is 18 and it was most satisfying to finally not be in that damn bunker everyone seems to hit into from the regular tee box.

I played there before I hurt my ribs and it was in great shape, and a really fun day, with lots of interesting architecture.

SteveOgulukian

Re: Tallgrass #6 New
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 10:08:56 AM »
I played there yesterday...constant 30 mph winds and sidways rain for the last few holes.  Hit an 8 iron into the 125 yard 14th which is usually a GW or PW for me.  I was 15 yards short!  Turned 15 into into a par 6 basically but it was nice to have a downwind drive on 16.  As for #6, ironically enough it was my first hole of the day (shotgun scramble).  The scorecard says par 3/4 and lists the two yardages but there is no sign of them using it as a par 4.  Tough shot to start the day.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 04:31:03 PM by SteveOgulukian »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back