News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re:Top Ten - Hole Restorations
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2003, 10:22:49 AM »
Three Putt,

When was # 10 at Atlantic altered, and how ?

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2003, 10:30:44 AM »
#5 at Brown Deer Park in Milwaukee.  I grew up 5 minutes from there, and it was a par-3 with a large, elevated green with a HUGE back to front slope but where the ball could stop above the hole.  Now that the PGA stops there, the green was moved to the right and pancaked.

Jeff Goldman
That was one hellacious beaver.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2003, 10:52:28 AM »
Rich.

"18 at TOC, before they moved the green left and put in that "Valley of Sin" in the 19th century."

Move the green left? Was the green on Pilmuir Links Road or in Old Tom Morris' shop?

Three_Putt

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2003, 11:27:54 AM »
Three Putt,

When was # 10 at Atlantic altered, and how ?

Sorry, Pat.  I was just hoping that it had been completely redone.   ;D

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2003, 11:33:44 AM »
Three Putt,

I agree.

I'd like to see the fronting left greenside bunker moved to the left flank of the green, or removed.

You've inspired my next thread

Three_Putt

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2003, 11:36:18 AM »
Three Putt,

I agree.

I'd like to see the fronting left greenside bunker moved to the left flank of the green, or removed.

You've inspired my next thread

I feel honored.  I'd pull out all the bunkers on the hole so that you can bust it twice (465 up that hill) and hopefully be rewarded for two good shots...

ForkaB

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2003, 12:53:24 PM »
Bob

I "meant" cut out the "new" left hand side of the green and keep the right hand bit that they now use only when busloads of Japanese tourists are in town.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2003, 08:10:15 PM »
What are the feelings with regard to the 5th at Pebble Beach ?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2003, 10:17:13 PM »
Bob Farrell,

I played Spring Brook today.

It remains a very good golf course.

I'll get into the evaluation of the changes later, but for now I have a very important question to ask you.

Downstairs, in the clubhouse, in the hallway leading to the Grille room and Locker rooms, there is a picture on the wall,
taken in 1976, with Gary Player, Clem Powers, some other fellow who I recognized, and you.  I have a question to ask.

My god, what were you thinking ?
Where did you get those pants ?

Listen, I have to be back to play Spring Brook in two weeks.

At no cost to you, I'll either steal or deface that picture, the choice is yours, though I would recommend theft.   ;D

Now, back to the course.

I hadn't played the golf course in a good number of years, and had forgotten what a good golf course it is, especially the back nine.

The course was in very good condition, especially the fairways

It was interesting and timely that Tommy Naccarato posted a thread about lighthouse bunkers, because that was the impression I received as I stood on each tee.

While I loved the texture and playability of the sand, I'm not a fan of those bunkers.  They seem created to cater to the visual aspect of the golf course, and seem out of character with what I remember.

I was also puzzled by the abandonment of the 14th green.
I always liked it as a par 3.  With # 9 and # 10, par 3's over water, I thought making # 14 play over water as a par 3 was gratuitous and excessive, I also found the walk back to # 15 tee dangerous and excessive when compared to the old 14th.

Were the cart paths part of the master plan, an afterthought, or pre-master plan ?

I can see your concerns about the changes, but the golf course remains a good and unique challenge, while retaining the fun of playing it.

How do you play # 12 ?

I was surprised that more wasn't done to # 4 and # 5.

Since I have to remain topical, I'd restore # 14 and get rid of that photo  ;D
« Last Edit: July 30, 2003, 10:17:55 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Bob_Farrell

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2003, 09:20:13 AM »
Pat:

Sorry I missed you but I was out of the office and didn't see your note until right now. I was actually up there at around 5:30.

So what did you think of the changes to the course?

BF

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back