News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TomSteenstrup

Martin Hawtree
« on: July 26, 2003, 01:50:40 AM »
The first ever European Tour tournament in Denmark is being played in a couple of weeks at Simon's Golf Club, just North of Copenhagen. The course was designed by Martin Hawtree. A quick search on Google showed that he has designs all over Europe and that he has been working on changes at Lahinch (http://www.lahinchgolf.com/Golf.shtm), Portmarnock, and Royal Birkdale. Also the family history is quite interesting (http://www.hawtree.co.uk/history.htm).

Anybody here familiar with his courses? I'd love to hear some experiences or opinions from this educated group.

Tom

Chris Kane

Re:Martin Hawtree
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2003, 02:28:53 AM »
Martin Hawtree is also the consulting architect at Royal Melbourne.  His work so far includes changes to 15E.

Jeff_Stettner

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2003, 02:57:44 AM »
Wow, Simons. During a tour of duty as a student in Denmark I actually played this course. Just never thought I would share any thoughts about it.
Simon's was a very solid if unspectacular American-style golf course. Very well conditioned, the golf course was a pleasant walk across a rolling piece of land dotted with creeks and a couple of lakes. While not much stands out about the golf course, I do know it was built to be the best in Denmark and the developers wanted a tour event. Looks like they got their wish. The only hole I really remember is 18, mostly due to its awkward landing area. I also remember a very short par 3 that was surrounded by sand that was a lot of fun to play.
What was truly memorable about Simon's, however, was the drink I had afterward on the clubhouse veranda. A mix of Carlsbad Lager and Orange soda. Weird, but really nice after the stroll.
Not much help, I know, but I appreciate the chance to wax nostagically about Denmark.

Norbert P

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2003, 02:38:59 PM »
  I have a very good book by Fred Hawtree II (with a notation inside saying "Improved by Martin Hawtree" his son) that is very instructive.  It seems they have quite the dynasty in golf course construction as Fred the First was building with JH Taylor in the 20s.  

The Golf Course - Planning, Design, Construction and Maintenance    by F.W. Hawtree  1983

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Andy Levett

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2003, 05:14:57 PM »
I know little about the Hawtree  dynasty but am interested in MacKenzie's work in England and during my researches found this for Bolton Old  Links on the club's website:
1966 - Messrs. Hawtry and Son, Golf Course Architects, surveyed the lay-out of the course to consider the possibility of reducing the physically tiring aspects of playing holes, such as the uphill 6th and 15th, against the prevailing wind and also the practicality of incorporating within the course any of the following areas of land owned by the Club:-

5.5 acres to left of 10th hole
10.5 acres to left of llth and 12th holes
4.37 acres to left of 13th hole
2.2 acres beyond 14th and 5th greens
3.2 acres to left of 16th hole, and a small area of land (quarry) to left of 18th green.

Following an inspection of the course the Architects reported that "the balance of advantage seems to us to rest with the present arrangement, though it would be desirable to consider lengthening the 12th hole to some 290 yards" and that "the future development of the course should be very much confined to the lay-out as it stands with only marginal changes. It has been well designed in relation to the contours and boundaries, any extension of the latter only producing changes as opposed to improvements".

Thereafter, the 12th hole was extended from 241 yards to a par 4 hole measuring 369 yards but the new green proved unsatisfactory. In 1972, the green was reconstructed, stone available from the demolition of Langshaw Fold farmhouse and outbuildings adjacent to the 16th green, previously tenanted by the Club Professional, providing the base for the elevated rear part of the new green. "

So basically they were invited to make lots of money messing around with MacK's work and declined.
Good for the Hawtrees.

TomSteenstrup

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2003, 03:06:36 AM »
Thanks all for the insights.

I really liked your story Andy. How often do you think that would happen today, if an architect was invited to do alterations?

Tom

Brian Phillips

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2003, 03:32:42 AM »
Tom,

I think it would happen more often than people realise.  Not all architects are as greedy as people think.  Most understand the importance of the classic architects.

Brian
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back