News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

erichunter

Southwest Ireland
« on: July 30, 2003, 02:28:52 PM »
Going to Ireland next week.  On the itinerary...
Doonbeg, Old Head, Waterville, BallyB, Tralee.

1) Anyone play recently?  Current conditions?
2) Have an open day, any suggestions for a "lesser known" place to play?

mike_malone

Re:Southwest Ireland
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2003, 02:45:05 PM »
 Castlegregory,on Dingle Peninsula was challenging nine-holer.Not far from Tralee or Ballybunion.I understand it may be 18 now.
 A Dr.Spring was the architect.We met him the day we were there.
 The views from the course are beautiful.

AKA Mayday

Doug Wright

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2003, 02:57:22 PM »
erichunter,

As Tim Weiman knows, there's only one place to play on your free day--The Dooks in Glenbeigh, which is between Waterville and Killarney. Fun, nice people, great scenery and some terrific quirk.

I'd double it up with the main Killarney course, a more traditional but solid course that I liked quite a lot.

Enjoy!
Twitter: @Deneuchre

ClarkW

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2003, 04:59:17 PM »
erichunter--
Please report back upon your return as to the changes at Waterville that are done/ongoing/planned (not sure which term is correct).

Dooks has already been suggested as an "open day" course and I would second that. It has also been discussed numerous times on GCA.

Also make sure you stop and eat at Nick's in the town of Killorglin (on the road between Waterville and Killarney). Well worth it!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2003, 05:27:37 PM »
Dooks may be one of the most interesting places.  It used to be nine holes but was expanded to eighteen when nine members took responsibility to desgn and build one hole each.  The course will never make anyone's "Best" list but it is very enjoyable.  Make sure you stay in the bar fter the found and exchange stories with the mambers.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2003, 09:18:50 AM »
I played Dooks and I just didn't get it. Could someone please explain why you all like it.

Ballybunion: Everyone sort of bad mouths the new course (Cashen). I thought it was terrific. If I had only 1 free day, I'd opt for that.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Jack_Marr

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2003, 01:19:55 PM »
There's always the Ceann Sibeal links in Dingle. It's the most westerly golf course in Europe, so it's closest to you in America.
John Marr(inan)

ddavid426

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2003, 01:52:55 PM »
Just to pile on with another question:  Is there anything close to Shannon that is worth a try?  We have a morning before our flight back and could squeeze in round if it is really close to the airport.

MAPLE

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2003, 04:15:51 PM »
Adare- a RTJ parkland course- is within an hour and a nice play.  Not links but good for fond farewell.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2003, 04:44:31 PM »
Quasssi:

One of my closest Irish friends once said the following about Dooks:

"Dooks is really cool.....it doesn't deserve to be.....it just is".

Much as I think participating in the discussion group means making an effort to articulate features of a golf course for people who haven't seen it, I really don't think I can put it much better than what my friend expressed.

But, I will say that Dooks is not a place you go to study golf architecture. It is a place you go to be at peace on a golf course. Dooks is about tranquilty, slowing down, enjoying the company of friends and the wonderful setting, etc. It just has the feel of being on what Europeans call "holiday".

It will never make anyone's Top 100, but there aren't very many places I'd rather be.
Tim Weiman

Brad Tufts

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2003, 05:25:58 PM »
played Waterville, Bally Old, and tralee the first week in july.  All played perfect...firm, fast, fair.

Waterville played tough as I expected, Tralee probably played the easiest....i had 72 from the whites at Bally though  ;D
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

grandwazo

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2003, 09:09:31 PM »
Back today from Ireland, had a blast.
1. Royal County Down....best course we played, unfortunately the greens were in poor condition.  One of the assistants in the pro shop told us that they had planned to reseed all the greens in the spring, but the weather played havoc with their plans and they had been trying to fix them ever since.  They so far have been unsuccessful.   Highlight of the trip for me was getting off the plane at 6AM, driving up to Newcastle, teeing off at 11 and making eagle on number #1 hitting driver, 4 iron and then sinking a 10 footer.  It was all downhill golfwise from there.  We played this course the first two days of our trip and felt it was the best "golf course" we played even after the courses that follow below.
2. Links at Portmonock....passable "resort" style course, in poor condition.  Spent the afternoon at Portmonock watching the European tour event play the 15th hole, one birdie and too many bogies to count, that is one tough hole.  This course looked to be in unbelievable condition, looking forward to playing it on our next trip.
3. Old Head....simply the most breathtaking golf course I have ever played.  Caught it on a bright sunny, relatively calm day.  In excellent condition.  
4.  Killarney- Killeen Course....beautiful parkland course, in excellent condition, but the greens had just been top dressed.
5. Waterville....best overall experience we had...course was solid throughout, the recent Fazio work was noticeable simply because you didn't notice it.  It had rained very heavily that morning so there was some standing water on the first few holes.  I shot my best round of the trip on the course.  
6. Ballybunion- Cashen Course....in excellent condition, very difficult, but fair if you hit it where you are told.
7. Ballybunion - Old Course....also in excellent conditon, only time it rained (really rained) on the golf course during our 7 days, but it stopped by the time we got to the 4th hole.  Great course, with a great variety of holes, especially on the back, the par 3's get continually more difficult to play.  
Also, the Teach de Broc hotel next to the course just completed a renovation and is an excellent place to stay.  Best breakfast we had during our stay.
8. Doonbeg....of course the most discussed course for our group during our stay.  I loved it, but I shot 80 during our morning round which was the low score in our group.  Obviously the course needs some work, starting with tiny green on the third or fourth hole, I can't remember right now.  I hit it to the front left as advised by our caddy and made par, everyone else attacked the flag and ended up over the green with a very difficult pitch back up the hill.  It was the course that required the strokesaver yardage book the most, but rewarded a well placed shot.  I personally felt it was on the best piece of property (other than Old Head) of the courses we played and enjoyed it a lot even though my afternoon round was 10 shots worse than my morning round.  My partners who played poorly for both rounds felt the course needed a lot of work, I felt that over time, with patience that the course could be up there with Ballybunion, County Down and Waterville.
Aside from the golf I would like to recommend Perry Golf who did an overall excellent job of taking care of us and although we traveled close to 1200 miles and spent 7 nights in 5 hotels, everything was great.  The Irish people were very, very pleasant and the food was very, very good.  Thanks to all the GCA'er's who provided info, it was very helpful.
Regards,
Jeff

Eric_Dorsey

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2003, 09:43:17 PM »
RCD - thee best course I've ever played hands down.

Ballybunion Old - awesome course, a must play imo, my favorite along with Cruden Bay.

Royal Portrush - much more subtle I thought than RCD, still great and a must.

Old Head - incredible views, I must of took 100 photos.  2 or 3 great holes (especially the 1st par-5 on the back, 2, 3, 16).  Otherwise the course sucked.  I was very dissapointed.

Lahinch - you can't play Doonbeg and not play Lahinch.  Lahinch was great.

I can't wait to go back - best time I've ever had in my life.

have fun!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2003, 09:44:07 PM by dorse72 »

erichunter

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2003, 03:58:22 PM »
Back from Ireland...

Doonbeg--great site; big letdown though.  Good starting and finishing holes but only a handful in between.  Contrived routing.  A lot of locals pin that on the environmentalists protecting a snail (also mentioned on this site).  

Killarney (Killeen & Mahoney's Point)--Enjoyed both; solid courses.  Mahoney's Point has some interesting greens for being the "other course."  

Waterville--Easily the best.  3rd time playing there.  18th looks good.  Caddy mentioned changes to the 1st but I couldn't tell of any.  They are flipping 6 & 7.  6 will be a 3 par and the 7th they are moving the present green about 40 yards left and making it a par 4.  I'm not great at visualizing but it makes some sense.  Also, Noel mentioned that they are changing the 16th to make the green visible from the tee.  Fazio has been there all this week playing in a father-son.

Bally-Cashen--Hard as usual even in benign conditions.  It was actually warm.  

Old Head--3rd time playing, starting to grow on me.  The club has a bit of snob in it though.

The Guinness was great as always...  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back