News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Hancock

Which change will happen first, if ever?
« on: January 28, 2013, 02:17:39 PM »
Will it be a roll back of the clubs and balls, or will a US, high profile tournament venue be maintained more along what we expect from The Open venues? To clarify the latter circumstance, I'm talking long term maintenance regimes vs. the regime that is implemented by the USGA or PGATour just weeks or months ahead of a tournament. And, yes, I am thinking of  TOC and Merion changes as I type....

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Jason Thurman

Re: Which change will happen first, if ever?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 02:21:05 PM »
My guess is the hourly posting of a new thread about rolling back equipment on GCA happens before either of those things.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

JMEvensky

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 02:31:07 PM »
I'd guess the odds are slightly better for an equipment rollback--maybe 999,999:1 versus 1,000,000:1.

A club would be very disinclined to host a big tournament and watch the players shoot nothing.The members would take it as a sign their golf course wasn't any good. I can't imagine a club would invite a high profile tournament without trying to make the golf course as hard as possible--and I can't imagine the governing body (USGA,R and A) not insisting on the same as a pre-condition to hosting.

I'd be curious to see which constituencies (aside from the manufacturers) are really opposed to an equipment rollback. If you took the threat of lawsuits off the table,would the USGA be in favor? The PGAT/EPGAT? The players themselves?

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 02:39:55 PM »
Hi Joe! I hope you and the family are well, and that work continues to satisfy.

When I try to answer the question, I find myself re-framing it this way: will the USGA be more likely to tackle the manufacturers (and risk losing) than they will be to custom-build 4 or 5 open courses and thus (definitely) lose the cozy relationships with and blue-blooded charms of courses like Merion and Shinnecock? As hard as it is to believe (even for me), I think the USGA would rather take on the manufacturers!!

P.S. - I'd be interested to know, Joe: which of those options would you, personally, PREFER?

All my best
Peter

« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 03:25:10 PM by PPallotta »

Joe Hancock

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 03:44:46 PM »
Peter,

My preference lies within the realm of my knowledge; I don't know much about clubs and balls, but I know a little about maintenance. So naturally I lean towards golf courses going leaner and drier and less rough.

However, I don't know which of the two I mentioned affects the enjoyment of the game for the vast majority of golfers. I suspect that golfers, in general, would rather roll back their equipment than to see "less" maintenance. I also don't know which of these two hypotheses would be better for the future of the game, as far as growth, speed, enjoyment, etc. Once again, my personal preferences may or may not be what the game needs to thrive.

Thanks for the greeting, and all is well here; family and work are better than I could hope for.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 08:40:47 PM »
Joe - I was writing quickly and didn't explain how I turned your "long term maintenance" possibility into "custom-built open courses".  Simply put, I think it -- juts a guess of course -- least likely of all that those type of maintenance regime will be instituted; and more likely (though less than for a roll back) that we'll see special US Open courses being designed and built in years to come.

So glad to hear all is well, though not surprised that good things continue to come your way.

Peter

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 08:51:21 PM »
Joe,

Rollback = Potential lawsuits

Maintenance = No Lawsuits

I'm voting with you ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back