News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Overseeding in Arizona...
« on: December 15, 2012, 10:37:02 PM »
The cost of seed, water and maintenance for some courses and private clubs is leading to  rethinking  the process. Excellent article by John Paul Newport in the WSJ:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323981504578179511085429422.html

In my "club" with 45 holes- Pebble Creek, we are lucky that our 18 hole course has well water so the cost only involves seed and electricity for the irrigation plus loss of revenue for 3 weeks. Our 27 hole course is not served by wells so we buy water at a cost of more the 100K/year plus electricity for the irrigation. The cost of overseeding is the cost of seed, water, electricity and loss of revenue for 3 weeks.

I did not know that  Desert Mountain does not overseed 2 of its 6 courses yearly.

I like the idea of the new paint for fairways and Ultradwarf Bermuda for the greens. Our 18 hole course is approaching the 20 year mark so regrassing is being considered. We do about 100,000 rounds /year total .
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 10:46:48 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Andy Troeger

Re: Overseeding in Arizona...
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 11:34:06 PM »
That might be a change for Desert Mountain, since it mentions rotating that process between the various courses. As of a few years ago, the Director of Golf told me that they were not overseeding Outlaw, overseeding only fairways/tees/greens on most of the courses, and overseeding everything on Chiricahua. That way they had a variety of options.

I don't mind playing on dormant bermuda, although courses with a lot of play I think suffer a bit by March when things are at their busiest. I think not overseeing the rough is an improvement at most courses that do overseed.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 11:45:10 PM »
Andy,

I think the change at Desert Mountain was made by the new owners- the members. Not a bad idea considering the costs involved.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Rob Rigg

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 01:13:15 AM »
Phoenix CC and Paradise Valley go with dormant bermuda greens during the winter which are FANTASTIC.

I think the amount of play on both courses makes it easier to go dormant instead overseeding.

Both courses to paint the greens which is interesting.

Desert Forest has taken a year off from overseeding in the past - 1 in 4 years or something. It looks awesome when they do that if you are down with brown and enjoy getting linksy.

More courses would probably do this if their members were not obsessed with "tour" conditions.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back