News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

Re: Ding Dong!!!
« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2012, 04:15:43 PM »

It's an interesting idea but your right, the European team would be hurt by it. Maybe you could go off the world rankings? Don't get me wrong, I wish America would win every 2 years but I bet this event was a boring watch usually when it was just GB&I.
Not true.  Olazabal chose the next two players in the world rankings and those who would have been next on the two points lists.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2012, 04:28:07 PM »
Interesting to see how the lack of familiarity with European Tour golfers still leads to the underestimation of players who play most of their golf there.  I don't know why Olazabal used Lawrie so sparingly but he absolutely was not a weak link in the European team.  He has played some of the very best golf in Europe this year, has been a multiple winner and has been consistently excellent.  He also has an excellent match play record.  His win yesterday was no surprise to me, nor was his score.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

John Shimp

« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2012, 09:13:42 PM »
I thought the c- rating by global golfpost on Lawrie this morning was horrible. Brilliant and unexpected win over sneds. 

Phil McDade

« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2012, 08:53:09 AM »
Has there ever been a more impressive Ryder Cup performance than Poulters display of perfection on those last 6 holes Saturday afternoon?

Colsaerts Friday afternoon in fourballs. He shot 62 on his own ball when Tiger was throwing haymakers left and right. It's a match that will probably be lost to the winds of history because of what Poulter did (which was incredible), but the Belgian had the best pure 5 hours of golf in the history of the Ryder Cup, from where I sit (and gave Euro its only points of the session, stopped the 3-match US winning streak because it was the last match out there, and kept Euro from being down 6-2 going into Saturday.)

Jud_T

« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2012, 08:54:54 AM »
Phil,

I think he shot 63.  There was 1 bogey in there.  Still the best putting round I've ever seen.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tim Pitner

« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2012, 04:35:12 PM »
Apologies for resurrecting this thread but I was reading some of the transcripts from the RC press conferences and the Euros are quite hilarious.

There's this exchange:

Q.  Ian, if there was a World Ranking system solely for match play, where would you rank yourself?
IAN POULTER:  Zero.
SERGIO GARCIA:  It's better than one.
IAN POULTER:  Of course I'd be pretty good, but there's not, so‑‑
RORY McILROY:  Really?  (Laughing). 

Then there's Colsaerts classic line that "you go with what's in your pants."

Despite DLIII's best efforts, the Euros have more fun than we do.  I love that they assemble an army of vice captains (Clarke, Jimenez, etc.) whose purpose seems to be mostly comic relief.  (One of Faldo's biggest blunders in 2008 was to fail to bring in a suitable complement of blokes as vice captains).

Terry Lavin

Re: Ding Dong!!! New
« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2012, 09:27:50 PM »
It's Wednesday.  Who gives a shit?  Enjoy the gift.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 09:23:45 AM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Howard Riefs

« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2012, 11:01:10 PM »
Has there ever been a more impressive Ryder Cup performance than Poulters display of perfection on those last 6 holes Saturday afternoon?

Colsaerts Friday afternoon in fourballs. He shot 62 on his own ball when Tiger was throwing haymakers left and right. It's a match that will probably be lost to the winds of history because of what Poulter did (which was incredible), but the Belgian had the best pure 5 hours of golf in the history of the Ryder Cup, from where I sit (and gave Euro its only points of the session, stopped the 3-match US winning streak because it was the last match out there, and kept Euro from being down 6-2 going into Saturday.)

Plus, Colsaerts had to carry Westwood on his back the entire round. Not easy.

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back