News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sven Nilsen

GCAofTD - #10 - John Reid
« on: September 06, 2012, 02:23:06 PM »
Instead of repeating the story of the oft-dubbed "Father of American Golf," I am providing an early NY Times article on the establishment of St. Andrews in 1888 in Yonkers:  

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F00C12FE3A5812738DDDA80B94D8415B858DF1D3

A couple items of interest:

1.  John Reid is not to be confused with John "Jack" Reid, who we will hear about later.

2.  The article emphasizes the murkiness of early American golf history.  This account notes that Robert Lockhart introduced the game to Reid, while others note that Reid asked Lockhart to procure clubs on his trip to Scotland, indicating he was familiar with the game prior to Lockhart's voyage.

3.  The article also notes the rapid rise of the game at St. Andrews, which mirrors the growth of golf in this country prior to the turn of the century.  The course moved several times due to the growth in interest.  One wonders if St. Andrews was the first club with a waiting list, and if Andrew Carnegie was ever on it prior to joining.

4.  I found the article's take on St. Andrews as a men's only golf club, and not a country club, to be of particular interest.  It has been asserted that Reid's wife was one of the first women to play golf in America, however, a short while later she would not be able to play at the club her husband founded.

Course List:

St. Andrews (1888)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 04:59:02 PM by Sven Nilsen »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Tom_Doak

Re: GCAofTD - #10 - John Reid
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 04:35:17 PM »
A few years ago, a friend asked me to take a look at the golf course for The Lawrenceville School, down near Princeton.  It's quite old, and they had John Reid listed as the architect, but I wasn't sure if it could be the same gentleman.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 04:55:51 PM »
Tom:

Dig into your files on Atlantic City and I think you'll get the answer.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Nigel Islam

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 10:10:40 PM »
I'm curious as to the quality of the current St. Andrews course?
Newport, CGC, Shinnecock, & The Country Club are all still highly regarded as founding members of the USGA, but I rarely hear anything about St. Andrews.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 10:35:05 PM »
A few years ago, a friend asked me to take a look at the golf course for The Lawrenceville School, down near Princeton.  It's quite old, and they had John Reid listed as the architect, but I wasn't sure if it could be the same gentleman.

Tom - I had not heard of this course for years and years. but back in the early 80's I did a week or two of golf camp at Lawrenceville Academy and remember nothing about the course whatsoever. My main memory was having an old set of Ram Accubars, some persimmon and having someone run a car over my bag at the range. Amazingly, nothing was bent and I had everything in a nylon Vagabond carry bag. Strange early memories. I guess it got me out of my parent's hair for a while and I probably learned something along the way as well.

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 04:48:37 PM »
Tom:

Dig into your files on Atlantic City and I think you'll get the answer.

Sven

Considering none of us have access to Tom's files, maybe you can provide us the answer

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 04:54:59 PM »
Maybe he doesn't want us to know...
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back