News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Burnes

What makes a great opening hole?..and more
« on: August 07, 2012, 02:08:42 PM »
Hi-

Can anybody tell me their favorite opening hole and include a full photo of it?  In your opinion, what makes a great opening hole?

hhuffines

Re: What makes a great opening hole?..and more
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 02:24:38 PM »
I can't provide a photo but I'll go with the opener at Pinehurst #2.   It requires a good drive to set up a short iron and chance to get close to the flag.   A birdie there gives you confidence to tackle the second hole and possibly get through five and six with a decent scorecard.  On the other hand, a poor drive will put you in a tough position to find the green in two and thus begins the battle to get up and down.   I also enjoy hearing the chimes from the nearby church. 

hhuffines

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 02:29:10 PM »
I checked Ran's recent Pinehurst write up and he offers 3 great photos and a much better analysis of playing the hole. 

Ted Sturges

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 02:45:41 PM »
I have yet to find a better opener than the 1st at Mid Ocean Club.  The hole is not terribly long for a two shot hole, but it presents the golfer with more than 20 bunkers! The fairway offers a generous target (despite the bunkers), and the green complex is set on a high point on the property, with nothing but ocean behind it.  Hitting that tee shot to start the round gets the blood pumping, and then hitting the approach to that green complex is one of the funnest shots you'll play on that course (and there are lots of fun shots to play at Mid Ocean).  For me, a great opening hole must be fun, interesting, strategic, but not require anything heroic out of the gate.  The first at Mid Ocean is all of that.

TS

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 03:19:56 PM »
I like the opener at Cuscowilla.  Plenty of room to the right, but it really fits my eye trying to shape a shot around the redclay bunkers on the left to (hopefully) have a short iron into that tough green. 

Mark McKeever

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 03:50:24 PM »
LOL.  Nice pictures guys..   :)

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

John Burnes

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 06:02:11 PM »
I think Aronimink has to be considered..see here

Mac Plumart

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 09:47:42 PM »
I agree with Pinehurst #2.

That is my favorite opener.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mark Johnson

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 10:12:44 PM »
Prince Course.

Downhill 430ish par 4, which plays around 390-380 with elevation;   three-wood/ wedge for me.

Intimidating look of the shot but actually a rather wide fairway;  need a solid wedge to hold the green and not go to a collection area.

http://www.golftop18.com/uploads/7/0/8/4/7084476/8844743_orig.jpg

Love this hole for a few reasons

1) gives a great view of whats to come, very indicitive of the course

2) solid but not tremendously difficult

3) Great use of natural terrain

Mac Plumart

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 09:06:58 PM »
John...

As  I posted earlier, Pinehurst #2 has my favorite opening hole.

To me it embodies everything that I want in a golf hole, but without any extreme pressure of a do or die moment.  It has the strategy that needs to be thought of as soon as you put your tee in the ground.  You can't blindly flail at the ball off the tee and hit it anywhere and expect to score well.  But, you can do that and not lose a ball.  So, you see it has strategy without extreme pressure.  That is what I want in an opener.

The best site for Pinehurst information is the Sandhills Insider (http://sandhillsinsider.com/2course/2coursetour.html).  They talk about the hole and the course is some detail with lots of photos.

Other really good ones, per my taste are:

The Old Course
Old MacDonald
Chicago Golf Club
Ballyneal
Maidstone
Cuscowilla
Yeamans Hall
Askernish
Lookout Mountain
Secession (just kidding)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 09:11:21 PM by Mac Plumart »
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 09:56:34 PM »
   In the mid '60's, Dan Jenkins called Merion's first the best in America in an SI article that probably began the ratings binge that has followed.  Pretty good choice.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back