News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

DMoriarty

The Distance Gap: Driving Distance Differences
« on: January 05, 2004, 11:48:37 PM »
There has been some discussion lately on just how much a player should be rewarded for a better shot, relative to other players.  I thought it might be interesting to take a look at just one factor in "better shot."  Distance.  

How much advantage, in yardage and club, did a long hitter have over an average hitter and a short hitter in 1990? 2000? 2003?  

[Assume players of similar ability.  For example, low single digit players who are long, average and short;  high single digit players who are long, average and short; etc.]

Is there an ideal driving distance difference?  What distance?

#1        #75      #175
1990   279.6    264.5     253.8        37.3
2000   301.4    274.8     264.1        41.3
2003   321.4    288.5     275.2        46.2
« Last Edit: January 05, 2004, 11:49:19 PM by DMoriarty »

Thomas_Brown

Re:The Distance Gap: Driving Distance Differences
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2004, 12:10:46 AM »
Tour players & weekend players are diff. categories.

Weekend:
From what I see, distance does affect scores of mid to high handicappers.  How many 15-20 handicaps are hitting woods into every par 4?  The majority that I play w/.

Tour:
I think distance has a diminishing value in the game over time.
Jack Nicklaus & others claim its increasing over time.

In the 1990's, we had Mike Reid, Corey Pavin, ...
Who is out there today?
How much does Fred Funk really struggle w/ long approach shots today?

Of course, I could be wrong.
Nick Price calls Augusta a "by week" for him.
That puzzles me.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2004, 12:12:31 AM »
2003 features outliers in Hank Kuehne and John Daly.  Go to #2 in 2003 (Daly) and you are at 314.  Go to #3 and you are at 306.  From there the numbers are more closely spaced.

2000 had outliers in Daly and Tiger.  Davis Love was #3 at 288.7.

1990 had no outliers.

So you should probably look at numbers excluding these outliers in 2003 and 2000...in which case you'd say the spread between (adjusted) high and low has narrowed vs 1990.

"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

DMoriarty

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2004, 01:29:41 AM »
2003 features outliers in Hank Kuehne and John Daly.  Go to #2 in 2003 (Daly) and you are at 314.  Go to #3 and you are at 306.  From there the numbers are more closely spaced.

2000 had outliers in Daly and Tiger.  Davis Love was #3 at 288.7.

1990 had no outliers.

So you should probably look at numbers excluding these outliers in 2003 and 2000...in which case you'd say the spread between (adjusted) high and low has narrowed vs 1990.

Kevin, I thought about doing this but we are talking about the long hitters here, so it seems odd to ignore the long hitters.  Also, I wonder if the stats aren't actually a little misleading on the low side for the long hitting pros.  There are plenty of guys in the top 20 who can hit it well over 300 when they want to, but since they have pretty much outgrown most courses, they usually have no need to blast it and often lay off quite a bit or tap a three wood 270 yds.  

Also, I hesitated to post the pro stats at all, for fear that the thread would get hung up on them.  Hitting the ball a long ways is now almost a prerequisite for being a pro, so there really isnt a short hitting group with whom to compare. For that reason, I question their relevance all together.  

Forget about the pros and think of the people you with whom you play.  How much further are the long drivers, compared to the average drivers and short drivers?  

Tom, yes they are different categories.  

I am not really concerned at present whether distance helps or hurts pros and/or recreational players.  Rather, I am interested in the distance gaps between players of relatively similar abilities.  

For example, I am a 10 index.  I would estimate that, among golfers with similar indices, long hitters hit it 30 yds further than average hitters, and more than 60 yards further than short hitters.  Assuming of course that they actually make good contact, which doesnt happen every time.

From my observations, I would guess that the gap is at least as big or bigger for lower index players.  
« Last Edit: January 06, 2004, 01:30:45 AM by DMoriarty »

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2004, 01:53:00 AM »
Also, I wonder if the stats aren't actually a little misleading on the low side for the long hitting pros.  

No, the averages are used on two measuring holes in each event that are judged as likely that a driver that will be used.  Like wide open par 5s.  So, chances are good that the numbers above represent full driver swings by most if not all.

My point was that comparing the "max" against the median and the "min" is subject to skewing due to an outlier in that direction.  And there were definitely outliers in 2003 and 2000.  You are still looking at essentially the longest drivers when you adjust for the outlier by looking at the #3 hitter each year.

Maybe the LPGA would offer interersting stats, since their distances are more "down to earth".
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back