News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Re: Best courses least seen by pros
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 09:37:35 PM »
Crystal Downs is a world class layout  that is just a bit remote for the typical tour player- although Watson used to visit on occasion.

I spent five years there, and in that time we had a few visits from touring professionals.  Brad Faxon and Mark McCumber showed up on separate occasions, but both are into golf course architecture as a business.  Brett Quigley made the four hour drive up from the Flint area when the Buick Open was last played a few years ago simply to play one of the classics.  Most of the CBS announcing team has been there at one time or another, but always separately; Ian Baker-Finch, Peter Oosterhuis, Bobby Clampett, and Gary McCord all made independent visits.

Ben Crenshaw first played there in 1985 and soon after gushed about the course in an interview, and many members attribute that to the uptick in membership demand.  He has been back there once or twice since.

It is certainly out of the way, but I was impressed - especially with Brett Quigley - that the folks who really get it and are into great golf make the trip.

Brian:

Ben Crenshaw's first visit was in 1986, not '85 ... I know because I still have the scorecard.  [Fred birdied the last hole to beat him by one.]  He was there on Thursday afternoon, and won the Buick Open three days later, and mentioned his visit in his interviews afterward.  He was also wearing a nice Crystal Downs shirt a couple of weeks later at the PGA (at Inverness) when he tossed his wedge in the air on the 18th hole, and it came down and hit him in the head, and he bled all over the golf shirt.

However, as far as I know, and contrary to Jack Crisham's post, I don't believe Tom Watson has ever played at Crystal Downs.  His family had a place up near Walloon Lake, and I was told the course he played most often was Wequetonsing.

Ash Towe

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2012, 09:40:26 PM »
I cannot imagine there are many tour pros, from any tour that have played Oreti Sands otherwise known as the Southland Golf Club at the the bottom of the South island of New Zealand.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2012, 06:28:18 PM »
I'd reword this thread to courses you hope the pros never discover and screw up. 

Both my choices are far from the places where pros would hang out. The Machrie in Scotland and the Valley Club in Montecito.

Cheers,
Dan King
The grounds on which golf is played are called links being the barren, sandy soil from which the sea has retired in recent geological times. In their natural state links are covered with long, rank, benty grass and gorse. . . links  are too barren for cultivation; but sheep, rabbits, geese and professionals pick up a precarious livelihood on them.
 --Sir W.G. Simpson

Dan:

Believe it or not, Fred Couples is a member of The Valley Club of Montecito.  And so is Steve Pate's brother, John.  So The Valley Club is no longer as rare a venue for Tour pros as it once was.  But, I think your choice of The Machrie is on pretty sound footing.  Askernish would be another good one!

Tom

You probably know that John Pate held the course record at the Valley Club with a 61. Along comes Fred, joins the club and before you know it,  Pate is looking on at the 18th green to see Couples putting for a 59. John is still an amateur.

Bob

Cristian

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2012, 06:37:27 PM »
Anybody mentioned Morfontaine?

Howard Riefs

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2012, 06:39:19 PM »
A bunch of Tour pros have played SFGC over the years, and I'd guess that several more played it this week.

Including a handful of big names the day before the US Open, according to Matt Ginella:

As I was teeing off on the first, Phil Mickelson was making a mess of the 10th. Jim “Bones” Mackay was in the group behind me. Sergio Garcia, David Toms and Geoff Ogilvy had also been there for a Wednesday practice round.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/blogs/wheres-matty-g/2012/06/my-picture-perfect-week-at-the.html
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Scott Warren

« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2012, 06:41:57 PM »
Scott,

Adam Scott played SFGC days before the US Open, but he might be a rarity.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back