News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dustin Knight

Re: Regrets
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2012, 04:48:17 AM »
#1 - Turning down a round at SFGC in June with Joel Stewart and Geoff Ogilvy....... I just didn't know how to explain travelling from Australia with a group of 8 guys and telling them all I was leaving Bandon a day early to play San Fran :'(

#2 - Knocking back an invitation to Ellerston shortly after completion due to a mate's buck show....  ::)

I'm sure both will haunt me forever.

Dustin
Lost Farm........ WOW!

Scott Sander

« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2012, 08:02:48 AM »
My deepest golf regrets all surround NLE's.
I grew up in an area (Central Indiana) that went through a quite delightful spell of very high-quality golf course construction in the last quarter century.  The courses are terrific and for that I and many others are thrilled.

But in several cases, building new tracks meant obliterating old ones. 
Gone are the original courses at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Fort Benjamin Harrison, and Woodland Country Club. 

And I never played them. 

I lived a chunked 3 iron from Woodland, so I could easily have hopped the fence and played it as a kid.  And I threatened to do just that several times, but I never did.  I guess I regret my lack of delinquency.

Speedway was very easily accessible, but trips to the track at tat time of my life only meant roaring motors and track records; as a teenager it honestly never occurred to me to play golf there.

The original course at the Fort would have been a tougher task for a teenager - it was an active military base and restricted in the usual fashion.  But still...

There were two other NLE's that I did play frequently - Sunblest and Sycamore Springs.  The former was -objectively- awful... but it was mine.
The latter was better than it had a right to be, though it stood no chance when developer dollars came calling.  I have enough memories of both to miss them, so there are no regrets.

As for more conventional regrets?  I had an opportunity to play Sanctuary a year or so after it opened, then I tore my ACL, MCL, and PCL trying to score on a passed ball in a 30+ league baseball game.  I guess I regret the steal.  It was karma - we were up 9 and I was trying to end it early.  Instead, the golf and baseball Gods conspired to punish my lack of sportsmanship doubly hard.

I was also kindly offered a round of golf at Denver Country Club.  The gentleman extended the offer on the tee of the 17th.  Then I closed him out on the green of the 17th and he acted like we'd never met.  I didn't push it, but I do hope to play there some day.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2012, 08:05:47 AM »
I regret that a good friend of mine, a GCA'er in fact, won't be able to join our group on our upcoming golf trip.

Get well, Mike.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2012, 02:44:23 PM »
I regret not being able to make this years 5th major.

Even though I had a scheduling conflict, looking back on it with 20/20 hindsight I should have blew off my other commitment to attend.

Here's hoping I can make it next year.....

Lester George

« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2012, 03:38:39 PM »
Terry Lavin,

Perfect!!!

Lester

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2012, 04:17:20 PM »
For a number of years I received an invitation to play in King Hassan's tournament at the Royal Dar es Salam Golf Club in Rabat. Unfortunately I had to decline for a few years; when my wife expressed a desire to go to Morocco I waited anxiously for our annual invitation. It never came.

There is a good look at the course on You Tube. It seems more like a botanical garden than a  serious test of golf but the pros never chewed it up

Bob,

My dad played in that every year.
He invited me but I declined so he took my brother who eagled one of the harder par 5's.
I think I still have the scorecard.  The gifts given to the contestants, and the entertainment and accomodation's were spectacular.
I regret that you didn't go as I'm sure you and my dad would have become fast friends.

quote author=Patrick_Mucci link=topic=53465.msg1229237#msg1229237 date=1347365086]
For a number of years I received an invitation to play in King Hassan's tournament at the Royal Dar es Salam Golf Club in Rabat. Unfortunately I had to decline for a few years; when my wife expressed a desire to go to Morocco I waited anxiously for our annual invitation. It never came.

There is a good look at the course on You Tube. It seems more like a botanical garden than a  serious test of golf but the pros never chewed it up

Bob,

He invited me but I declined so he took my brother who eagled one of the harder par 5's.
I think I still have the scorecard.  The gifts given to the contestants, and the entertainment and accomodation's were spectacular.
I regret that you didn't go as I'm sure you and my dad would have become fast friends.

[/quote]

Pat,

Did he play in 1971? I am glad I wasn't there. An attempted coupe de'tat by some senior offices in the Army struck and some 92 people diied and many were injured. A year later he was flying back to Rabat in his 727 and was attacked by 3 F-5s who started to strafe the plane. The pilot radioed the attackers telling them the king was dead, they stopped tne attack and returned to base. A big mistake;they were executed three days later.

Bob

« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 04:37:32 PM by Bob_Huntley »

Matt Bosela

« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2012, 10:04:51 AM »
I regret that I haven't played golf outside of North America.

I turn 40 next year and I can't think of a better way to celebrate than to take my first overseas golf trip.  I really hope that the stars align for me...

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2012, 12:02:03 PM »
I regret that I could not take Brian Potash up on his offer to play Hudson National today !  ???

Matthew Rose

« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2012, 12:48:23 PM »
Living in Melbourne for several years and only playing one sandbelt course. Granted, I had little money and zero connections, but I wish I'd tried harder.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2012, 01:22:13 PM »

Sean_A

« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2012, 06:45:26 PM »
Can't think of any real regrets regarding golf.  Practically all my regrets revolve around not seeing certain musicians when I had half or even the slightest chance.  While I was a bit too young to really go too much out of the way, I still regret not ever making it to a Muddy Waters or Bill Evans gig.  More unforgivable because I could easily have seen him, was never going to a Johnny Cash show - the stupidity of youth.  I spose never seeing Frank Sinatra is right up there in the stupidity stakes as well.  There are a few others as well, but lets not dwell too much in the past.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mac Plumart

« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2012, 07:15:54 PM »
I regret not having the chance to play hickory golf with Ralph Livingston. 

I never truly had the chance due to the fact I got to know him after cancer had began to take its toll on him.  But, regardless, I would really have loved to have gotten to experience playing hickory with a true prophet of that game.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

C. Squier

« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2012, 07:45:36 PM »
None - get an invite, buy a plane ticket.  No better equation in golf.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2012, 10:05:29 PM »
Turned down a request to caddie for a friend in the 1992 US Open at Pebble Beach, long story with a personal note, some regrets but a fine decision.

Dixie Cup at Cuscowilla.

Not playing a second round at Ballyneal because I was increadably constipated.

Proud member of a Doak 3.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2012, 11:07:57 PM »
Turned down a request to caddie for a friend in the 1992 US Open at Pebble Beach, long story with a personal note, some regrets but a fine decision.

Dixie Cup at Cuscowilla.

Not playing a second round at Ballyneal because I was increadably constipated.

If you couldn't go that seems like a great reason to play more. If you had the runs I'd understand.

Pat Burke

« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2012, 12:31:05 AM »

Bob,

I think I still have the scorecard.  The gifts given to the contestants, and the entertainment and accomodation's were spectacular.

My dad was a pretty good player in the NJ section.
Won a dagger with jewels in the Morocco pro-am a looonnng time ago

Jordan Wall

« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2012, 01:03:06 AM »
Crystal Downs due to short notice.

Pine Valley-Merion-Philly Cricket-Rolling Green because I was a poor college kid taking a trip the very next week to National, Shinny, and Friars.

Sand Hills because logistics didn't work out.

Sand Francisco Golf Club because it was the employee tournament at Cypress.

Capilino because of school.

Rock Creek because I couldn't get two shifts covered.

Prarie Dunes-Ballyneal trip because of prior travel obligations.

Sage Valley-Palmetto trip because of being a poor college student.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2012, 04:59:01 PM »
That I took up the game pretty hot and hard in High School and then during College and a few years after played almost no golf , too much money, too little access, too little time .... whatever, I really regret that now that I am in my late 50's.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Jud_T

« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2012, 10:12:59 AM »
I regret that I spent 4 years in Ann Arbor and didn't set foot on the golf course.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jordan Caron

« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2012, 01:07:56 AM »
When I was 16 I made the Canadian Junior team which would play the US team at St. Andrews. The matches were played on the New Course but they did play TOC and Carnasty right after the '99 Open.

At the time I was trying to get a scholarship to the University of Washington. So I passed on that event and instead played in another team event in Denver with lots of good talent and coaches.

I regret it but I don't know if I would have appreciated the courses in Scotland. At the time I was playing modern designs from Les Furber and didn't like the older designs. I hated Victoria Golf Club because it was tricked up!

But my tastes have changed and I've matured. Looking forward to a Scotland trip soon!

Scott Stearns

« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2012, 08:27:35 AM »
Met an R and A member in a bar once.  Great guy, funny, etc.  He asked me to dinner and i turned him down.  Still regret that one.

"Someone left the cake out in the rain...."

Cory Lewis

« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2012, 08:59:52 AM »
I interviewed for a job at a golf course where the golf committe chairman had just gotten in to ANGC.  My potential boss told me that we would be going down to play it that winter.  I ended up turning the job down :'(
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back