News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Picadome - Lexington, KY
« on: April 30, 2012, 11:53:59 AM »
Now known as the Gay Brewer Jr. Course @ Picadome.

Thoughts and comments?

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Criss Titschinger

Re: Picadome - Lexington, KY
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 12:33:10 PM »
Haven't played it myself, but I've heard it's a fun, older-style parkland design. Small greens. Usually in good condition. Very close to downtown Lexington.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 12:50:42 PM »
One of the Lexington city parks that was private at one time.  Course was built in the 20s or 30s, but I'm not sure who designed.  Small piece of property with some decent movement.  Small greens and lots of trees separating the side by side fairways.  It's basic golf - not anything there you wouldn't find at plenty of other courses.

Pete Garvey

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 03:59:30 PM »
One of the Lexington city parks that was private at one time.  Course was built in the 20s or 30s, but I'm not sure who designed.  Small piece of property with some decent movement.  Small greens and lots of trees separating the side by side fairways.  It's basic golf - not anything there you wouldn't find at plenty of other courses.

I agree with John. Pretty vanilla.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 04:06:04 PM »
Mention of Gay Brewer brings back a great memory from Crosby Clambake days.  Bing and his buddy Phil Harris are in the tower behind 18.   Phil sees the next group coming up the fairway and says, "Gay Brewer, isn't he that fairy winemaker from Modesto?"

Political correctness wasn't on the menu at the Crosby in those days.   It's likely Phil had been imbibing a bit...

Jason Thurman

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 10:37:38 AM »
I hold a soft spot for Picadome, as it’s one of the courses I played pretty frequently while learning the game in college at (National Champion) University of Kentucky. As a wild-hitting high-handicapper, I didn’t care much for it the first few times I played. Over time it grew on me as my game grew.

I don’t believe that, as a golf course, Picadome is anything to go out of the way for. However, for an architecture fan, I think it’s one of the most interesting courses in the area. It’s a very small property: no more than 120 acres. Yet the routing manages to produce holes of great variation at a reasonable 6500 yards without a single weak link. You’ll find a lot of subtle risk/reward, beginning with the par 5 1st that requires a drive that challenges a lateral hazard stream on the right to gain the best angle of approach and ending with another par 5 at the 18th that requires a big carry over another stream to reach in 2.

The routing really maximizes its natural features while effectively working around others, and does a tremendous job of using angles to create challenge. The trees are a necessary evil and, really, quite fair on such a short course. The greens are mostly tiny and fiercely pitched, none more so than the 9th which is an all-time “stay below the hole” hole. Of all the courses I’ve played, Picadome’s greens remind me the most of Pebble Beach’s as a set.

It’s good, accessible municipal golf with a lot of quirk and interest. I wouldn’t expect it to make anyone’s Top 25, but I do think you’ll find yourself thinking “this is a cool shot” a lot. And as an architecture fan, I think it has a lot to offer from a routing standpoint and as a lesson in sustainable, interesting municipal golf.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back