News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Travis Dewire

Job on Grounds Crew
« on: March 22, 2012, 04:35:34 AM »
Hellllllllo,

This summer (and hopefully future) I am working on the grounds crew at the Donald Ross course at Bretton Woods, in New Hampshire.

Pretty excited  ;D

What would be recommended for rain gear, boots, and/or rain boots. Thanks for the input - I hope I came to the right place  ;)

Travis

Anthony_Nysse

Re: Job on Grounds Crew
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 05:54:33 AM »
Travis,
  If you can afford it, you will not got wrong with the following and your will NEVER be wet, unless its your own fault for say, not zipper the zipper in the crotch!

Zero Restriction Gore Tex rain jacket and pants. Breathable, can wear for golf, comfortable and easy on and off

North Face or Salomon Gore Tex Shoes. Good on all surfaces, not heavy, comfortable, good with pants or shorts.

At the end of the day, whatever you get needs to be Gore Tex.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Peter Galea

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 07:07:23 AM »
Anthony is right ZR Gore-Tex®  is the best, however very pricey.

Ask the superintendent if the course will supply foul weather gear
and cover shoes. It may not be as comfortable, but it will be free.
And if you rip it getting off equipment, it won't ruin your day.
"chief sherpa"

Aaron McMaster

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 07:56:46 AM »
Can't go wrong with ZR, pricey but best in the business.  I'd also recommend a good hat.  Boots I'm partial to Keen's but there are a lot of good maufactures with Goretex boots.  Just go with the one that fits your foot best and are comfortable, you'll need that for sure.

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 08:12:41 AM »
Hellllllllo,

This summer (and hopefully future) I am working on the grounds crew at the Donald Ross course at Bretton Woods, in New Hampshire.

Pretty excited  ;D

What would be recommended for rain gear, boots, and/or rain boots. Thanks for the input - I hope I came to the right place  ;)

Travis

Travis,
I'd inquire with your new employer.
He might have a deal for his staff or even free stuff supplied by them. (just don't ask if it's free-pose the question like you did to the forum)
If not, introduce yourself and check with the golf shop there (or if curently employed,where you currently are)
They can get you a personal use discount on the rainsuit(PUD) which is usually 25-50% off WHOLESALE which would make a difference in this case.
There are items out there as good as Goretex these days for a lot less as well if the above is not an option, but working outside in NH, I'd go with a proven,recommended product.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 09:49:19 AM »
Congratulations Travis!

Zero is the best, but durability will be an issue if you are hard on apparel or get into rugged "projects." There are a lot of options out there. Frogger makes a decent, cheap rain suit that can handle up to a full-on gusher. Hard to beat the old Gordon fisherman overalls for general purpose, though you will sweat a fair bit in them.

Footwear is HUGE! Don't by cheap, AND get several pairs in DIFFERENT brands that are comfortable for your feet. When in damp, clammy conditions and you are on your feet a lot, which you will be, having varied strike and wear points with footwear can really save the soreness and other issues feet can develop.

Cheers and all the best in 2012,

Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Stewart Naugler

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 04:01:35 PM »
I agree that ZR's top notch but I wear Arc'teryx gortex Alpha SV shells, Beta AR pants, and Vertical SV gloves. I can promise you that you'll never get wet! I decided to upgrade after years of sub-par Northface and Patagonia hard shells. Though I do recommend the Patagonia P26 Mid Gore-Tex boots.

Purchase everything from backcountry.com, REI, or Altrec! That way you'll never have to buy new gear because they offer lifetime exchanges with no questions asked. All you do is pay for shipping and you'll have new rain-gear every year.

I never invested much into rain-gear until I started working at Cypress...

Carl Nichols

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 04:14:22 PM »
I don't know anything about the right gear, but I have spent a lot of time in that part of New Hampshire -- have a great summer in an incredibly beautiful place.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 11:37:50 PM »
Sawyers tick spray...
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Peter Galea

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 11:52:05 PM »
As a superintendent, I require my crew to work in foul weather, as long as it's not dangerous.
I supply the gear.
"chief sherpa"

RDecker

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 06:49:39 AM »
Travis, best of luck, though a word of caution.  The risk of getting hooked on greenskeeping is a possibility.  As for raingear that is alittle more affordable I have several pieces and have also gotten Red Ledge brand for my crew.  I always order it at Kittery Trading Post in Maine.  Also LL Bean's stuff is real good and not to $$.  For footwear I like Muckboots or Bogs for the sloppy stuff and Goretex trail runners for regular stuff like walk mowing etc.  Hope this helps.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back