News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Butler

Phoenix-One week in February
« on: January 18, 2012, 06:08:54 PM »
Through a protracted series of negotiations with my better half that made the XL pipeline deal look like a common boundary fence issue, I received permission to play four days in Arizona in February.. since the permission slip cost me two days at the Enchantment Resort, one round will played in the Sedona area.  

Willing to listen to improvements on current line-up to We Ko Pa/Saguaro, Apache Stronghold, Papago Park, and Seven Canyons.... with Paradise Valley as safety course.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 11:02:25 AM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Brian Stewart

Re: Phoenix-One week in February
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 07:39:39 PM »
Well, I haven't played any of them this year but the last time I played Seven Canyons it was a mess.   That was last Spring.  We just covered Apache Stronghold in a thread here last week and supposedly it is in decent shape.  Papago is an unknown due to all of the turmoil down there.  I'm only down that way when headed to the airport so I can't tell you much about condition.  I suspect Tom Yost can provide info on their status however.   

Now, We Ko Pa-Saguaro is in fine condition and I played it as recently as when we were in overseeding. 

Might I suggest you consider Vista Verde or Talking Stick North instead of Papago unless you have a specific reason to play there?  As a visitor I seem to remember the rates were way out of whack with the quality of the course but I admittedly haven't played there in many years.

Also, I'm not sure how much you know about the area but Sedona could be very cold in February. Sedona average highs that time of year are mid 40s (can be both much warmer and much cooler though).  Probably won't matter as I'm sure it was part of the negotiations :)

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 07:48:17 PM »
Great call on Talking Stick North. I would include The Boulders too, good course with great views and service.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 07:51:55 PM »
I would suggest that you play Quintero on your trip down to Phoenix from Sedona - it's not that far out of the way and is certainly unique provided its not too cold in the mountains.  I would also suggest staying one night on the west side and playing Blackstone if you can get on and I believe access is not a problem anymore.  Vista Verde is definitely worth playing ahead of Papago.  Walking the Champions course at the TPC is a good bet and a good value. I would suggest you check on the conditioning before you drive all the way out to Apache Stronghold.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 07:58:23 PM »
I disagree on AS. The review that was posted was from a play last June. Conditions are iffy there until the weather warms up;however, if you don't mind a 2 hour drive each way to play an architecurally sound course, then go for it.

TSN, Saguaro, TPC Champions and Vista Verde are good choices.

Quintero is now public but still difficult IMO for mid-handicappers.

Seven Canyons is a visual delight. Conditions are iffy in cooler weather.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Bart Bradley

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 07:58:55 PM »
I played We-Ko-Pa Saguaro 2 weeks ago.  I highly recommend it.  Excellent condition, wonderful routing, interesting greens.  Really a nice day.  A friend, highly GCA savvy and world travelled, rates it the best course in AZ.

Have a great time and if you decide to spend one day doing something else, (especially if you haven't seen it) drive up and take a helicopter tour of the Grand Canyon.  It was amzaing!

Bart

Cory Lewis

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 08:05:56 PM »
I played We-Ko-Pa Saguaro 2 weeks ago.  I highly recommend it.  Excellent condition, wonderful routing, interesting greens.  Really a nice day.  A friend, highly GCA savvy and world travelled, rates it the best course in AZ.

Thanks for the update on Wekopa.  I'm making my first trip to the desert this weekend, playing wekopa on Sunday, great to hear it's in good shape!
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 10:34:20 PM »
The suggestions of Wekopa, Vista Verde and Blackstone are all solid replacements for Papago...Southern Dunes is a really really good choice if you don't mind the short hike to Maricopa. Very walkable and a different kind of desert course from most of the choices in the area. April can't come fast enough!

Tim Book

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 12:13:31 AM »
Have played in the Valley of the Sun a number of times, love to hear the recommendations of Southern Dunes and Quintero.  With both courses now available to the public I am really interested in checking them out.  Are both of these courses in the same caliber of course as Troon, Greyhawk, We Ko Pa etc?

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 07:46:05 AM »
I will be there the first week in April with my son and would welcome any GCAers to join us. 

Andy Troeger

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 08:28:34 AM »
Anthony,
I like your original itinerary quite a bit, assuming decent conditions at Seven Canyons and Apache Stronghold, which could be big assumptions with weather/course conditions. I'd probably substitute something else for Papago--perhaps Vista Verde or Blackstone. Southern Dunes is also a worthwhile option. I wasn't that impressed with Quintero, although the scenery is great. Ditto TSN, although most GCA'ers seem to like it. The Boulders wouldn't be worth the normal rate to me. I've heard a lot of good things about Cholla at We-Ko-Pa as well.

Dave Givnish

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 11:01:12 AM »
Boulders is not worth the rack rate.  The weather will probably be cold in Sedona, and at AS.  If you're up there though, Sedona Golf Resort and Oak Creek Canyon are pleasant courses.  You're not that far from Rim Club if it's open. 

Quintero is now public, but I've heard that they are pushing a lot of rounds, the drive is a PITA, and there are no off-course amenities.  Southern Dunes, TSN, Whirlwind, We-ko-pa are all fine.  Rumor is that you can get on Golf Club Scottsdale if you stay at the Four Seasons. Can't confirm that but it's probably better to go through the hotel on that. 

How about going old school at Los Cabelleros?  It will be dormant but it's a great course.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 11:10:13 AM »
Thanks for the tips and suggestions so far... keep them coming.

I had forgotten about the Desert (now Champions) course at TPC Scottsdale. Last time I played there it was must have been rattlesnake holiday. A baby one went between my legs while preparing to play a 25yd pitch shot.  :o

The shot found the bottom of the cup... a sign of good fortune awfully hard to come by here in New England, esp this time of year.  :)
Next!

Brian Stewart

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 11:17:37 AM »
I agree with every point Dave made.  Quintero is odd in a lot of ways.  Some great holes, lots of great views and some, well, odd holes as well.  Too many shots where you are hitting the same uphill shot and too many par 3s where you are hitting off of a cliff.  I played there the Monday after Christmas with a few friends and the course was in good shape at the time.  There's some weird deal where they had to move the temporary clubhouse too.  Now you have to get in a cart just past the gate and drive that cart to the range.  

Unless Seven Canyons has cleaned up I would say that both Oak Creek and Sedona Golf are better options.  The views aren't as good but the courses are every bit as good IMO. Los Cabelleros is another good point.  It isn't too much past Quintero and if you want a roller coaster type drive you can go the back way down 89A/89 with some decent tourist stuff along the way.  

Mark Smolens

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 12:30:07 PM »
When I was in the Valley over Christmas there were lots of tee times at the Boulders on golfnow.com at pretty discounted levels (I recall day before openings for $90). The rates have probably gone up since the 1st, but as a non-resident you'll probably pay $60 to play Papago -- if you are willing to not have your golf plans set in stone, especially if you're a single, golfnow is a great alternative. The night before a round you can get very good rates at the Quinteros and Vista Verdes of the world.

We did play Papago Xmas week. They overseeded this year and the greens were fair at best. Though I didn't make it down to Southern Dunes last trip, I've had good experiences there (also available on golfnow), and for a cheap run around a firm and fast track, try Vistal. You can probably walk there for $30 in the heart of the season.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 12:36:35 PM »
I agree that Quintero is not the best in the area but it has always been in excellent condition and it is worth the sidetrip if you are driving from Sedona - it is another question if you are staying in Scottsdale and have to drive all the way out there.

Alister Matheson

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 01:06:14 PM »
Through a protracted series of negotiations with my better half that made the XL pipeline deal look like a common boundary fence issue, I received permission to play four days in Arizona in February.. since the permission slip cost me two days at the Enchantment Resort, one round will played in the Sedona area.  

Willing to listen to improvements on current line-up to We Ko Pa/Saguaro, Apache Stronghold, Papago Park, and Seven Canyons.... with Paradise Valley as safety course.
Anthony,
             I managed to play a few courses out there last November , At a John Deere Event .

Pre Event Desert Mountain Outlaw.     Then We-Ko-Pa Cholla  ,TPC Stadium ,Greyhawk Raptor

I would highly recommend any of the above all quality courses .I enjoyed them all but my favourite was Outlaw closely followed by We-ko-pa.
         Outlaw has a lovley open exposed feel about it great veiws , undulating greens were firm and true.

Cheers Alister  
Cruden Bay Links Maintenance Blog

http://crudenbaylinks.blogspot.com/

Tom Yost

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 02:57:55 PM »
We just covered Apache Stronghold in a thread here last week and supposedly it is in decent shape. 

I disagree on AS. The review that was posted was from a play last June.

The review said the course was in the best shape it has been for the last couple of years, which is not exactly the same as being in decent shape. Basically translated, it means "somewhat less that totally wretched..."   A great course that has been criminally neglected.  A minimalist design being maintained in a minimalist manner.  Winter conditions with dormant bermuda fairways will show it in its most bleakest form.  If you are not afraid of rough conditions, a long drive and as long as no winter storm happens to be passing thru, it is a worthwhile visit and only $25.   If you are interested in having company, shoot me a PM.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back