News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Stansell

Bye Bye Alternate 5th Green at Chambers Bay!
« on: April 12, 2012, 06:06:11 PM »
For the handful of people that managed to play the alternate 5th green at Chambers Bay, consider yourself unique -- because its not there anymore. Witnessed today:

Tom Dunne

Re: Bye Bye Alternate 5th Green at Chambers Bay!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 06:18:12 PM »
Hm, that's interesting. Wonder why they 'dozed it. I made this little clip for golfdigest.com before the Amateur--the 5th green (and its alternate) appear right around the 1:00 mark.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/blogs/college-golf/2010/08/chambers-bay-set-to-host-us-am.html

As it turned out, I was out of the country at the time and missed all of the '08 Amateur on TV. Did they even use that alternate green during that event?

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 06:46:18 PM »
I guess this answers it but is Chambers Bay fully opened during all of this work?  I was thinking about driving from Bandon to Chambers Bay later this summer.

Matthew Essig

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 07:08:37 PM »
I guess this answers it but is Chambers Bay fully opened during all of this work?  I was thinking about driving from Bandon to Chambers Bay later this summer.

It is open but the us open construction doesn't end until March 2013 (I am pretty sure).
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 08:05:57 PM »
 :'(
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Joe Stansell

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 08:30:44 PM »
Joel,

Chambers Bay is open for play the construction phase, but is using a temporary green on the 1st hole through the end of this month, a temporary green on the 13th hole through the end of next month, and a temporary green on the 7th hole until this time next year. My impression is that the lion's share of the work is completed.

Stephen Davis

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 09:10:35 PM »
I played two rounds there on Saturday and it was gone then too. It is definitely interesting seeing everything coming together. Like it or hate it, they are definitely changing things up. The bunker in the middle of the fairway on 18 is deep. That was the first par 5 I have ever hit 3 wood, 9 iron, 7 iron on.

Steve Lang

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 09:21:13 PM »
 8) I played a ball to it and wondered why they even bothered.. was it truly to be an alternate or just a nursery?

frank opinion.. bye bye indeed
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Zac Keener

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 09:34:33 PM »
The alternate green was rarely (<5 times) used. That sod was used on 13 green. The USGA briefly contemplated using 5b it however that was almost instantly killed due to the walk the golfers would have to make to 6 tee. Stansell is correct on the timeline for greens coming off of alternates. Although we are looking to open up 1 actual green, Friday 4/13. We have also starting to see very positive growth on the greens in general. It is a great credit to the hard work of our turf crew during a very difficult fall/off-season.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 09:35:49 PM »
I played two rounds there on Saturday and it was gone then too. It is definitely interesting seeing everything coming together. Like it or hate it, they are definitely changing things up. The bunker in the middle of the fairway on 18 is deep. That was the first par 5 I have ever hit 3 wood, 9 iron, 7 iron on.

But yet the bunker will probably be of no consequence during the US Open.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 09:39:17 PM »
... The USGA briefly contemplated using 5b it however that was almost instantly killed due to the walk the golfers would have to make to 6 tee. ...

There is/was a 6 tee right behind the alternate green. I guess what you are saying is the the USGA didn't want to do something as funky as back to back short par 4s.

Matthew Essig

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 12:45:48 AM »

If they miss the fairway, it will.
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Richard Choi

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 01:17:16 AM »
As it turned out, I was out of the country at the time and missed all of the '08 Amateur on TV. Did they even use that alternate green during that event?

They used it twice during the match play phase for the Am. It provided pretty exciting action as it was  a driveable par 4, which is great for match play.

Pretty sad day for Chambers...

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 11:50:57 AM »
The one time I played Chambers in the summer of 2010, the alternate green was used on the 5th.  When I stood on the elevated tee box, I immediately saw the original green in the distance and had a wow look on my face by how cool it looked.  Then I noticed a little sign on the tee box saying we were using the green on the left.  Who doesn't like a short par 4 right.  I hit a good low draw about 20 yards short of the green, when I approached the green, It sort of had a Ballyneal #7 approach look going on how it was tucked in between two dunes moving to the left, the greens are obviously not at all alike, but the approach was somewhat similar.  I am sad, I thought it was a cool concept.  I am always a fan of options.  

I have a picture of the green somewhere I will try to find it.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 11:54:41 AM by Peter Ferlicca »

Stephen Davis

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 12:32:01 PM »

While this is most likely true, if they are in the bunkers off their drive or in the rough, then it may cause them a little problem. I think before it was just an easy lay up and then shot at the green. This at least makes them think about where to hit their second.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 10:49:43 AM »
Happily, I got word the 1st green opened up this week! Sad to see about 5, but it's still a wondrous golf course. Go play it, they are only doing two holes at a time. You'll get your money's worth and come back to the board with lots of great stories!
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Joe Stansell

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2012, 07:46:13 PM »
Happily, I got word the 1st green opened up this week!

That doesn't sound right. I played this past Thursday, and it was closed then. I was told that it will be closed until the end of this month, and all the communication that I've received from the Chambers Bay Golf Club is consistent with that. As is the information posted on its website.

Your source may be providing old information. The 1st green opened for play briefly in mid-February (I played it once), but then was closed again as soon as management realized it was too soon for regular play. Its been closed ever since.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 07:37:57 AM »
With all the financial issues at CB I am pleased to see that they are going forward with the work.

Is there any work being done on a clubhouse?

Stephen Davis

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 10:09:48 AM »
They are still using the same clubhouse. I didn't see anything being done for a new clubhouse, but I have to imagine that it is going to happen soon.

Joe Stansell

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 10:29:20 AM »
I'm not aware of any plans to build a clubhouse and I don't think one is needed beyond what is already there. Nor does the USGA: http://golfweek.com/news/2011/sep/01/usga-chambers-bay-start-thinking-2015/?print&popup=true

Stephen Davis

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 11:29:23 AM »
I'm not aware of any plans to build a clubhouse and I don't think one is needed beyond what is already there. Nor does the USGA: http://golfweek.com/news/2011/sep/01/usga-chambers-bay-start-thinking-2015/?print&popup=true

I think that is good for Chambers as it is one less thing to spend money on. I agree that the current clubhouse is perfectly functional. I really love eating there, they have top notch chefs.

Matthew Essig

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 10:26:20 PM »

:D

I give this two thumbs up, although, am I the only one who thinks Mike Davis answered the clubhouse question with a "shut up about that topic already" tone?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back