News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Edwin Roald from Iceland is posted
« on: November 05, 2018, 08:26:32 PM »
Three months after GolfClubAtlas.com went 'live' in 1999, I received an email from a golf architect named Edwin Roald. I remember it vividly; Edwin lived in Iceland and I in Australia and his missive demonstrated in technicolor that the internet could be a medium for connecting people globally to discuss golf course architecture. We have stayed in touch ever since. This past summer Joe and I traveled to Iceland for several days and our visit was made all the more memorable by getting to spend time with none other than … Edwin Roald!

As Joe and I waited for Edwin to arrive at Keilir Golf Club, I opined that Edwin must be about 60 or so. After all, we had corresponded for nearly two decades. Unlike me, Joe had seen a picture of Edwin and thought he was much younger. For the first time ever, Joe was right and I was wrong.  8) On reflection I should have known that in 1999, it required a 22 year old to dance around the internet and ‘google’ golf course architecture.

Now 41, Edwin remains just as intellectually curious and engaged and has been very fortunate to travel the world and see first-hand what constitutes great golf. Along the way he has defined what aspects of golf design are most important to him. Clearly, many of his beliefs are attributable to growing up in Iceland - and that's a good thing. For instance, he is a dedicated environmentalist. Most pleasingly, he has his own vernacular and talks about 'hot' and 'cold' spots and how wasteful it is when cold spots (places on a property that are essentially out of play) receive the same amount of attention/money as hot spots (where the majority of the golf is conducted). His Icelandic roots have helped foster a commonsense approach. Similar to the UK, good golf is not expensive on Iceland and it is a walking culture. Edwin embraces the game's health benefits and is quick to challenge the premise that 18 holes be de rigueur. He initially routed 9 holes for Brautarholt, now a 12 holer that may stay that way. Americans have trouble grasping that - what about my GHIN score?!   :P Thankfully, golfers elsewhere understand that the joys and benefits of golf are not bound by silly convention.

Edwin's routing at Brautarholt maximized the property's coastal perimeter. Above is the reachable two shot 4th green with Reykjavik to the south across the sea.

Building in Iceland offers its own rewards as well as challenges. For instance, at Sigló, Edwin tilted ‘the green towards the sun, away from the player. Those things are extremely important in northern climates, to minimize the risk of Anoxia, or turf suffocation under a prolonged ice cover.’ At the same course, Edwin notes that there ‘…are only a handful of bunkers out there, of the 19 in total, that are there to help introduce strategy. All the others serve as catch basins for melting ice that cannot filter through the frozen soil. There are no drains on the course. They are unattractive and get clogged by ice, sludge and snow when we need them the most.’ That’s exactly what an architect does - solves challenges in different environments!

Iceland doesn't have a course that would sniff the UK top 100 but that might change in the future.  Edwin gave us a tour of a superb potential site on the sea that featured sandy soil, stunning low-lying vegetation and blow-out sand dunes. Let's hope that project succeeds but meanwhile, Iceland remains a beautiful island ripe for adventure. Don't do as Joe and I did and make the trip golf-centric; follow Edwin's advice and travel the Ring Road and soak it all in.  Edwin is lucky to call Iceland home and we are lucky to get a peek into his wonderful homeland in this month's Feature Interview.

Best,
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 03:16:24 PM by Ran Morrissett »

Kevin_Reilly

Re: Feature Interview with Edwin Roald from Iceland is posted
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 09:11:31 PM »
Thanks - very interesting.

Where is Edwin consulting in California?  That engagement was mentioned, but I didn't see any specifics.

By the way, this quote from you: "On reflection I should have known that in 1999, it required a 22 year old to dance around the internet and ‘google’ golf course architecture", couldn't be more wrong.   
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Jason Hines

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 09:59:17 PM »
Thanks for this interview Ran.  I traveled to Iceland in 2000 for business and was lucky enough to get to play golf at both Keilir and Oddur golf clubs and enjoyed them very much.  I loved some of the routings through the lava fields and was fascinated as well as curious as to the season length, maintenance and the fact that we got to walk both courses.

One question I would have for Edwin, would be what have been the top or most important improvements or changes in maintenance and agronomy practices over the last 15 to 20 years in Iceland?

Another would be what are some of the advantages of golf design and maintenance in Iceland vs. say North America or the UK for example?

Thanks again and would love to return someday.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 10:13:33 PM by Jason Hines »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 07:16:38 AM »
Thank you Ran and Edwin for this interview and it’s many interesting and unusual insights. As to Iceland itself, it’s a fabulous country, one definitely worth visiting and exploring (even with no golf involved).
Atb

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 10:24:18 AM »
Thanks Ran. I have been to Iceland and have wanted to return to play golf. It looks like fun no frills golf.
Not every course needs to be Ballybunion.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 04:04:47 PM »
Thanks Ran, and continued success to Edwin.
I hope he was not too influenced by your architectural imperialism in praising an Icelandic site for its GB&I-ish qualities!  :)
P

« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 05:30:41 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 03:28:32 AM »
This link is worth a view as it includes aspects of Icelandic golf and Edwins new course. Great scenery as well!
https://t.co/juZkAVm5mo?amp=1
Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back