News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Roewer

Normandy Shores Golf Club
« on: February 08, 2007, 11:17:42 AM »
Probably Wayne Morrison can help the most, but for anyone?  I know that Normandy Shores is undergoing work and is closed,  Is it a reno or no?  Does anyone know who is doing the work?  There is kind of conflicting info on the place.  One logo says it was established in 1925, and is stated as founded in 1915.  However Flynn & toomey are credited with the design in 1938!  Mark Mahannah did redesign in 1950's.  Is there any original left to return to?  It's certainly on a very expensive piece of real estate and I believe is part of the parks district, so hopefully will be preserved.  Any course of that pedigree with an address of 2401 BIARRITZ Drive intrigues me.  Any help would be appreciated.

Steve_ Shaffer

Re:Normandy Shores Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 12:12:18 PM »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 12:17:47 PM »
This course is closed for renovation until May 2007:

Here is the invitation to bid:

INVITATION TO BID (ITB) 21-06/07
FOR NORMANDY SHORES GOLF COURSE IMPROVEMENTS

Sealed bids will be received by the City of Miami Beach Procurement Director, 3rd Floor, 1700 Convention Center Drive, Miami Beach, Florida 33139, until 3:00 p.m. on the 30th day of January 2007 for: NORMANDY SHORES GOLF COURSE IMPROVEMENTS

Scope of Work:
Work to be performed under this Contract shall consist of furnishing and installing all tools, equipment, materials, supplies, and manufactured articles and furnishing all labor, transportation, and services, including fuel, power, water and essential communications, and performing all work, or other operations require for fulfillment of the contract in strict accordance with the Contract Documents.

The Scope of the work is to provide all materials, labor, equipment, supervision, mobilization, overhead & profit required to provide but not limited to the following:

1. Eradication of existing turf using applications of Round-up as defined for areas shown on the turf eradication plan.
2. Removal of invasive tree and shrub vegetation identified on the tree removal plan.
3. Removal of all existing golf cart path.
4. Renovation of eighteen tee complexes and practice range tee.
5. Renovation of nineteen greens including practice putting green.
6. Renovation and/or construction on bunkers/sandtraps.
7. Installation of new asphalt cart path in eight and twelve foot widths as identified in the construction drawings.
8. Installation of golf feature (e.g. bunker and greens) drainage systems.
9. Installation of limited drainage system including basins, piping, and outfall control structures for moderate surface flow.
10. Sprigging of specified Paspalum grass for all areas where the existing turf was eradicated.
11. Installation of new pump station including connections to the public water supply with associated control fittings, brackish water intake, and fertigation system.
12. Construction of new pump house structure.
13. Installation of new irrigation system including connection to the new pump station, new piping, new irrigation heads, control system, and control lines.
14. Construct a drainage pump station with three low pressure electrical pumps to convey the on-site runoff to three drainage wells.
15. Construct three pressurized drainage wells.
16. Enlarge two lake areas to provide more storage.
17. Construct a berm surrounding the golf course to contain on-site stormwater. The berm elevation will be set at the peak stage of a 25-year, 72-hour storm event while discharge to groundwater wells at the approximate pre-condition 5-year, 24-hour peak discharge rate.
18. Interconnect on site lakes with HDPE pipes.
19. Build two control structures on the lakes to provide require water quality treatment volume within the lake system.

Estimated Budget: $6,100,000

Minimum Requirements: Contractor must be a Certified Member of the Golf Course Builders Association of America. They must establish that they have been in the golf course construction business for at least five years under their current name, and have completed construction of 18 holes of golf course, or the equivalent, per year for each of the past five years under the direction of an architect. Provide references from individuals in five of the following seven categories: course owner/developer, golf course architect, engineer, irrigation designer, golf course superintendent, municipality, and/or certified golf course builder.

Added on Jan 19, 2007:
Addendum #1

Attached Addendum document changes the bid due date to February 13, 2007 at 3:00 PM

Also, the Minimum requirement for the bid has been Amended. The amended language is as follows:

Minimum Requirements: Golf Course Contractor must be a Certified Member or Associate Member of the Golf Course Builders Association of America, or a Golf Contractor must establish that they have been in the golf course construction business for at least five years and have completed construction of an 18 hole golf course construction project in the past 3 years.

www.rfpdepot.com/DPX?ac=view&auc=94789
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

wsmorrison

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 01:08:00 PM »
The NSGC was supposed to be a lower price point and denser development plan just north of Indian Creek.  The golf course was built in 1936 (I've seen a wide range of dates as early as 1915) and was a sort of Indian Creek lite.  The greens weren't perched as high and the design not so elaborate nor so difficult.  There was a fair amount of Flynn there when Tom and I visited a few years ago.  A host of bunkers are gone (there were only 43 to begin with) and greens had shrunk dramatically.  The turf quality was very poor.  Glad to see that some real money is being spent.

Mark Mahannah altered the routing progression and redesigned some holes in the 1950s.  The routing progression is intact except for today’s holes twelve through seventeen which correspond to Flynn’s holes fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, fourteen, twelve and thirteen.

If any of the architects/construction guys on the site want to bid, I've got the original Flynn drawings....hint, hint  ;)

Tom Roewer

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 06:49:11 AM »
Thanks for the info Wayne.  I'd love to see a print of the original.

wsmorrison

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 07:14:22 AM »
Here you go, Tom.  I can't seem to control the size of the photos on Flikr as I could with Comcast.  I hope it comes out in a useful size.

Does anybody know how to enlarge the uploads in Flikr?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 07:15:00 AM by Wayne Morrison »

Tom Roewer

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 08:45:15 AM »
again thanks Wayne.   cheers   tr

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Normandy Shores Golf Club
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 07:46:21 AM »
This course is now open after an Arthur Hills renovation. As it is owned by the city of Miami Beach, rates for non-residents are much higher-$160 in peak season!!! Resident rates for memberships are very reasonable.

www.normandyshoresgolfclub.com

Anyone play here yet?

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 06:20:05 PM »
Doesn't anyone visit South Beach anymore?

Any locals here who have played the new Flynn/Hills Normandy Shores?

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 09:11:28 AM »

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 11:13:38 PM »
Any information on this one?

Is there any Flynn left at Normandy Shores or is it all Art Hills now?  Worth seeing? Worth seeing for $90? Better/worse than Ross/Silva's Biltmore?

(and I know Indian Creek is the better Flynn, but unfortunately that is not an option).

Any info is appreciated.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 08:14:44 AM »
Mark,

My guess is that there is more Hills there than Flynn. This was a  $9M project including a new club house. It looks like peak season rates have dropped to $120 for non residents:

http://www.normandyshoresgolfclub.com/golf_rates.php

Hills also redid the nearby Miami Beach GC:

http://www.miamibeachgolfclub.com/

David Kelly

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 05:28:11 PM »
I would be interested in how it came out as well.  I spent a lot of time there in the late 80s when the course was pretty shabby but the bones of Flynn's work was still there. The aerial on their website looks like they took out a ton of trees which was needed as the course had kind of a jungle feel in places.  The last time I played there I was attacked by a German shepherd. Good times.

There used to be a flock of wild parrots that lived on the course which I thought was cool.  However now there is a loud flock that lives next to me in So Cal and I want to take a shotgun to them.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 01:15:31 AM by David Kelly »
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Craig Disher

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 10:25:27 PM »
Based on the course drawing on the website it appears Hills kept the Flynn routing (he's done that elsewhere) but not much else. Flynn originally planned for canals to cross many of the fairways but in an attempt to economize arranged 50-60 bunkers around the course instead.  The location of the bunkers suggest that they were intended to create the same challenges as the canals. Hills' water hazards appear generally to parallel fairways and don't follow Flynn's plan at all. With the drawings and a serious intent to restore, I think the city could have had a real gem rather than what appears to be another typical FL muni.

Ronald Montesano

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

John_Cullum

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 12:49:54 PM »
Good to see a membership category for "Husband/Wife or Domestic Partners"
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back