News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul_Turner

Kingsdown's 4th Green
« on: October 12, 2011, 04:50:57 PM »
Adrian Stiff mentioned this green in another thread.  I lived in Bristol for several years and am kicking myself for having never played it eventhough I'd heard good reports.  Not a great pic, but from the website...the green has probably shrunk.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 04:56:57 PM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Bill_McBride

Re: Kingsdown's 4th Green
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 06:58:39 PM »
You think the green was draped up over those mounds at one point? 

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 07:21:15 PM »
Paul

I recall playing Kingsdown in the hope of discovering something quite good, but alas it wasn't to be.

Ciao      
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 07:28:16 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Paul_Turner

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 07:50:13 PM »
Sean

You didn't like that green at least?
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Mike Hendren

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 10:57:05 AM »
Sean, I'm with Paul (never a risky position to take when it comes to golf architecture) - The other 17 holes must be darned pedestrian to diminish the 4th.  It looks wonderful.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 02:06:36 PM »
I wish Kingsdown had not planted those conifers, there are nice views of Wiltshire to be had. That picture does not do the 4th green justice, it is a real rollercoaster, the green never extended over those mounds Bill.

Kingsdown is a very pleasant course, I have consulted there a couple of times, there are a few very plain holes but 4, 7, 8, 9, 10, 17 and 18 are amongst quarries, pits and hollows and the more interesting. The 9th green has shades of Deals 3rd. The 17th is fairly new, its used to be a 100 yarder up the hill, now it goes the other way and drops into the wood. 18 has been extended over the years, from a pop it on 300 yarder with a green in a gathering hollow now its nearer 400 yards with the tee back further and a modern green that Hawtrees did in the early 80s. Always in good nick and its a pleasant course to play.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 06:35:44 PM »
Paul & Bogey

I strongly disliked the trees - they make the course feel perpetually new.  I also thought there were several quite blah holes.  And the turf is not what it should be - quite lush.  It may be pleasant day out, but I don't need to travel to Wiltshire for pleasant golf.  Kingsdown is one of those "if you happen to play courses".

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back