News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Daniel_Wexler

Porcupine Creek / Sunnylands Question
« on: August 27, 2011, 07:55:17 PM »
Gentlemen (and ladies?):

Might anyone out there know the hole-by-hole yardages for either Porcupine Creek or the Annenburg's Sunnylands nine just up the road?

Not the easiest question, so my thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

DW

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Porcupine Creek / Sunnylands Question
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 11:37:26 AM »
Dan,

I found this in Jeff Silverman's 2005 T&L article:

http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/all-for-one/3

PORCUPINE CREEK Rancho Mirage, CA

Owner: Tim Blixseth Design: Eighteen holes Yardage: 6,724 Par: 72 slope: 137 rating: 73.6 Architect: Blixseth (1999)

Timber titan turned land developer Tim Blixseth figures what he didn't know only helped him. "There's no way," he says, "any established designer could have taken the risk to do this." What the architectural autodidact with a fifteen-handicap and deep zeal did was wrestle eighteen holes out of 240 California acres a few bars down from Frank Sinatra Drive.

His way.

"I needed a front lawn," he says. "The golf course could be my landscaping. What was stopping me?Nothing."

He started by imagining holes, sketching them in the sagebrush-covered dirt, then learning a little here and there through costly trial and error as he built them. Some $40 million (and advice from friends Dave Stockton and Tom Weiskopf) later, Blixseth had transformed his front yard, with its panorama of the Santa Rosa Mountains to the Coachella Valley floor, into a massive golf theme park that conjures the look and feel of the California desert (he brought in palm trees to line the fairways), the Arizona desert (ditto cacti), Hawaii (40,000 tropical plants and a lagoon) and the mountainous Montana terrain (thousands of trucked-in mature evergreens) from which Porcupine Creek takes its name (the Porcupine is a tributary of the Gallatin River in Montana). Blixseth insists it was all done merely to have fun—and because he could. Thus, the otherwise heroic dogleg sixteenth comes complete with waterfall, wishing well and castle turret.

Despite its multiple personalities, Porcupine Creek avoids schizophrenia by being, in the end, a good test of skill that incorporates classic lines of play. Less classic, but highly entertaining, are the porcupine tee markers and a few rowdy shots you won't find in the portfolios of Doak, Fazio or the Jones boys. Ever bounce one off a rock face—on purpose? It's an option on the short par-four fourteenth. Ever count hang time?You can't stop yourself on the par-three fifteenth, which demands a bracing carry from a tee cut high in the mountains to a green 247 yards out—and more than 200 vertigo-inducing feet down.

There's even an actual nineteenth hole that precedes the traditional nineteenth hole: a pesky par three over water, fashioned to settle any ties before cooling off in an opulent clubhouse with full kitchen and pampering amenities.

Since unveiling his course, Blixseth has devoted hundreds of annual rounds to charity events. He personally maintains an every-other-day pace of play when in town, either solo, with his wife, Edra, his resident pro, or such golfing compatriots as Dan Quayle and Gerald Ford.

Also:
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?topic=38112.0
But this is what you're looking for:
http://www.wix.com/christiesge/porcupine-creek/gallery#!__gallery/hole-by-hole
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Daniel_Wexler

Re: Porcupine Creek / Sunnylands Question
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 03:08:29 PM »
Thank you Steve!

Given that I have a family connection to Christies, I probably should have found that on my own.... :)

Most appreciated.

DW

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back