News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Joe Logan interviews Gil Hanse
« on: June 23, 2011, 08:17:21 PM »
With 2 new projects in China and a lot of restoration/renovation work in the US, Gil Hanse is keeping busy:

http://www.myphillygolf.com/detail.asp?id=9117
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Joe Bausch

Re: Joe Logan interviews Gil Hanse
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 08:43:09 PM »
I love Cobb's Creek too.   ;D
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike Cirba

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 09:22:10 PM »
Me Three!  ;D

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 09:47:26 PM »
Nice interview,

but I do not love Cobb's Creek, its a stretch to say I even like it.... although i suspect it will get much better after a restoration.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 07:50:00 AM »
Ryan,

We love you anyway.  ;). ;D

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 08:56:04 AM »
I have heard many good things about Boston Golf Club but no mention of it in the interview - I know it is Philly but that I have heard its his best.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 02:14:15 PM »
Jerry,

You're correct..Boston GC is exceptional, and one of my favorite 10 courses built in modern times.

A second visit last fall told me that my overwhelmed first impressions weren't mistaken.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 02:27:37 PM »
Jerry,

You're correct..Boston GC is exceptional, and one of my favorite 10 courses built in modern times.

A second visit last fall told me that my overwhelmed first impressions weren't mistaken.

But would Ryan like BGC?   ;) ;D
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike Cirba

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 02:46:47 PM »
Hard to tell, Joe...hard to tell.  ;)

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 02:52:59 PM »
Actually, BGC was mentioned in the interview.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Mike Cirba

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 02:02:46 PM »
Steve,

Yes, he mentions Boston, but there isn't much detail about it, which is surprising since Joe Logan played there last fall with our group and was similarly blown away.

mike_malone

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 03:44:38 PM »
 Hanse does seem to like courses he worked on.
AKA Mayday

Mike Cirba

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 08:24:03 PM »
Mike,

And Cobb's Creek.  ;)  ;D

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 08:29:56 PM »
Jerry,

Mike C:

What are the others?

[I always like to call people out on pronouncements like this, to offset the "Gary Player p.r. spin" of putting every course he was ever asked about in his top ten.]

P.S.  You may respond in private if you prefer.  I don't mean to hijack the thread.

mike_malone

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 09:38:02 PM »
 He has worked on Cobbs I believe.
AKA Mayday

Mike Cirba

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2011, 09:11:32 AM »
Tom,

Good question.   My "Top 10" is more of a mythical list, as I've yet to play all the modern courses in the US that are the usual suspects (such as "The Golf Club" which I hope to play this fall, and Old Macdonald), so I do have to leave some room.

But firmly ensconced are Sand Hills, Sebonack, Pacific Dunes, Kingsley Club, Boston Golf, and Friar's Head.

A notch below includes Whistling Straits and Ocean Course at Kiawah.

Mike,

Yep, forgot that Hanse rebuilt the 3rd and 4th greens a few years back after a washout.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2011, 09:34:32 AM »
What's Cobb's Creek?  ;D

This is definitely a good interview.  Since I am a huge fan of Inniscrone, I thought it was interesting to read Hanse's comments on that course.  I think he is selling himself short a bit on the quality of Inniscrone.  Sure, he took some chances there, and the result is some holes that border on the extreme.  However, nothing appears contrived or out of place.  The 4th green is severe, sure, but it is just there, benched into the hillside without major earthmoving.  16's right-side landing could be softened, but my impression is that the right fairway is more of a layup area than anything else.

My take on Cobb's Creek: yes, it will be a difficult undertaking, and the course will need a plan to improve the maintenance as well as the golf course.  However, I have all the confidence in the world in Gil's ability to restore a golf course.  He has done great things with Country Club of Rochester over the past eight years.  Like Cobb's Creek, Country Club of Rochester maintained most of its original greensites, but it was overtreed and littered with poor bunkering from the likes of Robert Trent Jones and Arthur Hills.  Gil's master plan transformed the golf course, redoing all of the bunkers, adding plenty of new ones, cutting out trash trees to improve playability and vistas, and expanding greensites to original size.  In the end, Country Club of Rochester has gone from an average private layout to a top 100 classic contender.  From my perspective, he could make the same transformation at Cobb's Creek.

Of course, he needs to see Lederach in the meantime.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

mike_malone

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2011, 02:29:18 PM »
 In Gil's 2000 feature interview the first course he mentions as a favorite after Merion and Pine Valley is Rolling Green where he had done a masterful plan a couple of years before. I don't mention this as a criticism ; it's just logical to like courses you study intently.
AKA Mayday

John Shimony

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 08:38:21 AM »
I did not know that Hanse inherited a routing plan from Stephen Kay for Inniscrone.  I would be interested in any differences between Kay's plan and the finished product. 

As for Cobb's Creek, I think that renovation project would be the best thing to happen to Philadelphia golf since the first Cobb's Creek project.
John Shimony
Philadelphia, PA

Mike Cirba

Re: Joe Logan interviews Gil Hanse New
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 08:55:40 PM »
Joe and I played Cobbs yesterday and Darren has the place in terrific shape.

I've never seen it so lush in late June, or such a thick strain of grass across the playing areas.    Frankly, I've never seen it looking better from an agronomic point of view.

I'm a firm and fast guy, but also know you have to give the grass a fighting chance, which seems to be the philosophy at present.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 09:01:17 PM by MCirba »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back