News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: American imports
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2011, 11:57:24 AM »
Ross is from Scotland.

Ross is from Scotland, Macdonald & Thompson from Canada, Strong is from England, and Travis is from Australia, but they are all American, or North American, golf architects.

Tommy Mac

What does this mean and what is its relevance?

Ciao

It means that sometimes Canadians can be a little obnoxious. ;) But, if you had read the whole thread you have known that. ;)

Garland,

Ouch!!

Sean,

This obnoxious Canadians does not like to be lumped together with our good neighbours to the south and called an American. While there are many similarities between the two countries, there are also some distinct differences.

TK

Tyler, I am pleased you and your fellow Canadians see yourselves as distiinctly Canadian, however, that doesn't really answer the questions I had for Tommy Mac. 

Tommy Mac

I can't speak for you, but I didn't come from Australia, Scotland or England. I come from Detroit and that makes a native of North America.  What is the relevance of your questions?

Ciao

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Niall C

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2011, 12:00:20 PM »
I have a report from Golfing from 1904 which credits Devereaux Emmet with laying out the original 9 hole County Meath course in Ireland which if it were true would be around 1898.

I also recall from c.1923 an "American" architect having given suggestions on Braids East Renfrewshire course during construction. Can't recall off-hand the architect but from memory I think he was an ex-pat.

Niall

That is fascinating about Emmet. Ross was in the UK in 1924.

Tom

It wasn't Ross in relation to East Ren course. I've got a note of the guys name somewhere but will need to look it up.

Niall

Tom MacWood

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2011, 07:30:15 PM »
Sean
What question?

Niall
I was trying to think of what American golf architects were in the UK around 1924, and Ross was the only one I could think of. There was quite a few that traveled to the UK in the years leading up to 1924, among them Watson, Thompson, Findlay, and Macomber.

Most of HCC Tippet's courses were done in America, but he was also involved with a few in the UK (including the redesign of Rye), though I'm not sure I would consider him an American golf architect.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back