News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ryan Farrow

Not just another Par 3 course
« on: March 22, 2011, 05:06:53 AM »
So I was cruising around our latest par 3 course with Traveling Joe and just happened to have my camera with me.

Tom Yost

Re: Not just another Par 3 course
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
Spectacular looking Ryan, how do they play?   Looks like any miss off of the turf is a lost ball.

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 09:48:34 AM »
Hey Tom,

The course plays great, there is plenty of room to miss and stay within a playable area. Any miss has a chance to bounce back into play but, if it doesn't, chances are pretty good you will not find your ball. The course has 2 sets of tees on each hole... If you play the back tees the holes range anywhere from 95-150 yards. The concept was pretty simple, just build tees and green sites.  pretty dramatic and a good test for a decent golfer.

I only played the course once with my co-worker, whomever won the hole got to decide of which set of tees to play, so if you your handy with half wedge shots, you can move into the 60-70 yard range on some holes....... made things interesting.....

Randy Thompson

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 09:56:39 AM »
Great photos, looks good..makes you want to tee it up..at least it does that for me!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 09:57:10 AM »
Ryan:

Do your par-3 courses in China get a lot of play?

I'm really curious about that, since it seems to go directly against the notion that Chinese clients all believe "bigger is better" and demand that courses be 7200 yards or more.

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 10:06:17 AM »
Thanks Randy, I took Ron Farris and Eric Iverson, Tom's associate, around the course about a month ago, and they said the exact same thing.

Tom, the course has been officially opened for a few weeks now, they are not getting a ton of play but i heard they are having a tournament on the course this week.  Its walking only with a caddy and they bring along a pull cart with them, but you only need a handful of clubs.

Mission Hills is offering the course as part of a 3-4 day package deal.... its a good way to get people out there.....

only time will tell how popular this becomes, the unfortunate part is that its not attached to the clubhouse..... so one would have to grab a shuttle bus to get to the remote clubhouse (starter).

jeffwarne

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 10:20:19 AM »

Its walking only with a caddy and they bring along a pull cart with them, but you only need a handful of clubs.

That sentence has several oxymorons in it........
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Brian Curley

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 11:06:15 AM »
Tom- This is the third par 3 course we have done for Mission Hills. The first , at the Shenzhen complex, is 18 holes representing different green concepts through the ages.......( I figured China never had the history lesson so we walk them from old to new with all you would expect and then some). It gets light play as it is detached from the clubhouse AND open only to the highest level membership. I do not think there has ever been a big push to see a lot of play. It sold out all the houses  ( 100 at $1,000,000 each) in one day so it did its job.

The latest in Haikou are very different in concept. One ( as seen in the photos) is very solid and quite a challenge for any player although the holes are generally only  in the 100 to 120 yard range. It is also detached from the main club  so I would guess play will be light, even with it free for customers who play one of the bigger courses.

The second is a "double pin " concept........one easy pin and one very difficult on good sized greens with plenty of turf surrounds.  It should get all levels from beginners to advanced working on their game. It is adjacent to the next Clubhouse /hotel/practice area complex so it will get plenty of play when that world gets built out. Right now it is a 15 minute drive from the existing hotel ( the project is 7 miles long).

Helpful hint......... In  many parts of China, you get a set amount  of residential for a "golf course" regardless of how big it is. Why go big if small does the job and saves land and money? Besides , par 3's make for the best views and nobody rains topflights on your patio.

In general. we have noticed a movement with some clients no longer interested in the big courses. Three of the Mission Hills Haikou courses are in the 6400 yard , par 70 range with plenty of turf to hit it, find it, and hit it again. My hope is that others will look to Mission Hills and say, "if they can do it, maybe so can I ". I am trying my best to get away from the scorecard wars .

P.S.- We are building an 18 hole par 3 course for Pulte Homes in Indio right now as well. Makes for great views and they are selling homes , even in a brutal market.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back