News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

The Berkshire - 24 June
« on: February 11, 2011, 07:15:52 AM »
I play every year (as do GCAer Giles Payne and BUDAite Conrad Gamble) in a society day at the Berkshire.  Last year Messrs Warren, Boon and Hiseman joined us.  Again this year there are going to be spaces available.  The cost is £150 for the day, which includes rounds on both the Red and Blue courses, one of the better British golf club lunches and a sandwich tea.  If anyone is interested, please let me know.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tony_Muldoon

Re: The Berkshire - 24 June
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 05:39:37 PM »
Mark you keep throwing out these tempting baits.  I'm going to circle this one for a long time, but for the moment I need to weigh up my options.

Society days are great way to see a place and I haven't been there for 7 years.

Thanks Tony
Let's make GCA grate again!

Scott Warren

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 05:46:03 PM »
I knew this day would come around and I would be insanely jealous...

Great day out and sensational value as well.

EDIT- For anyone keen to see what the fuss is about

Blue - http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,44879.0.html
Red - http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,44846.0.html
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 07:53:25 AM by Scott Warren »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 07:19:01 AM »
Probably not as jealous as I was of your honeymoon golf, or will be of the Boomerang.....
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Travis Dewire

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 07:46:40 AM »
Mr. Pearce,

The Berkshire looks incredible! You have inspired me to seek these two courses out, when I can devoute the energy. Safe travels and birdie wishes.

I see in 2010 you played Chuck River, and George Wright. What did you think of the two? I'm from the area, but never got to play Wright untill college, where my team practiced. Little dicey getting there, but lots of fun to play! Charles is always a treat to play, not a fan of the blind opening tee shot with that pond some where there. Legend has it that putting from 3 feet from above the hole on #5, Billy Casper putted all the way some 50 yards back down the fairway. Took an unplayable with the option of replaying the previous shot, and made that. Taking him 3 to get down from 3 feet.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 09:39:17 AM »
Travis,

Charles River was wonderful, I thought.  Very playable but very challenging.  Superb use of the terrain.  For a municipal course George Wright was also very good.  Indeed, if the condition of the course had been better (the fairways were in poor shape) it would have been almost as good as CR.

James Boon

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 04:25:28 AM »

Mark,

Last year was my first visit to The Berkshire and well worth it. Great courses and great company so thank you once again. This year I'm tempted again, but will take a back seat to give others a chance, but nearer the time if you still have spaces, I may well be tempted!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Greg Taylor

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 10:42:21 AM »
Mark, I've recently joined GCA and havent posted a great deal (somewhat nervous about diving in).

That being said I'd be interested in the Berkshire day if you have slots available... I'm off 8 and a member at an Alastair Mackenzie course, Sutton Coldfield, and will acquit myself well in front of the members!

Would appreciate it if you would consider me if there's a spare berth.

Thanks, Greg

Ben Stephens

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 10:48:01 AM »
Mark, I've recently joined GCA and havent posted a great deal (somewhat nervous about diving in).

That being said I'd be interested in the Berkshire day if you have slots available... I'm off 8 and a member at an Alastair Mackenzie course, Sutton Coldfield, and will acquit myself well in front of the members!

Would appreciate it if you would consider me if there's a spare berth.

Thanks, Greg

Greg,

Welcome to GCA, I really enjoyed my round at Sutton Coldfield with James Boon who has put a thread about it on GCA. Look forward to the next trip there.

Cheers
Ben

Mark Pearce

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 11:06:23 AM »
Greg,

That's great, will pencil you in.  As to nervousness about posting here it shouldn't take long to realise that you can't make more of a fool of yourself than most of us do regularly. 

Mark

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 12:02:56 PM »
Greg - welcome, what Mr Pearce means is your trousers are what marks you out as a gentleman golfer. The Canary fails miserably!
Cave Nil Vino

Brent Hutto

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 12:33:07 PM »
You can tell a lot about a man from his choice of trousers. Such as what sort of trousers he favors.

Oh, and by the way Monkey. I read somewhere that anything is funnier if it contains the words "monkey" and/or "trousers"...

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 01:09:17 PM »
Mark,

Greg has managed to tempt me out of my shell - Been a member for about six weeks, but yet to post.

I too would be very keen to join you at the Berkshire, i am planning to do a 2/3 week study tour of the heathlands in June and this would tie in nicely!

Cheers, CJ

Greg Taylor

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 04:14:46 PM »
Thanks all for the welcome - golf at The Berkshire got my juices flowing....!

Looking to forward to joining in the fun.

Greg

Mark Pearce

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 03:37:43 AM »
Clyde,

Great, ggod to have you on board.  I'll leave this up for a few more weeks then drop those interested a note about payment (sadly) and let the society know.

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 05:03:25 AM »
Cheers Mark,

Much appreciated.

Clyde

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 08:42:46 AM »
I played here with Mark last year and can confirm what James said that it is one of the truly great golfing days out.  Don't miss out on the Treacle Sponge Pudding at lunch.  Only right to let others have a go, so enjoy!
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back