News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Martin

Re: The Solitary Golfer vs the Marche Militaire
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2011, 03:32:32 PM »
I've got a good story in this vein that a few of you may have heard but is worth recounting here.  A few years ago I had arranged a game at Lost Dunes at the tail end of the season.  Well, as the day approached my playing partner had a work conflict and couldn't make it.  As I had never seen the course and the season was essentially ending, I decided to head up myself anyway.  The weather was also conspiring against me.  Low 40's, windy with an on and off drizzle.  But I was determined.  I figured out my best layered ensemble to fight the elements which still allowed me to make a decent pass at the ball and headed out.  The pro was surprised when I showed up in those conditions in early November.  Nobody else had seen fit to make the effort.  And by nobody, I mean NOBODY.  After the front nine, he asked if I needed anything and said he was taking off as I was the only guy on the property and told me to just let myself out when I was finished.  So I literally had the place to myself the entire afternoon.  I got 27 in, finishing with a birdie on 18 with a light cold rain stinging my cheek.  One of the best days ever.
Jud-Sounds like a great day. Good idea to go the extra 9 and get in 27. Hard to recount this type of story to a non golfer as they just look at you like you are weird.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2011, 03:39:47 PM »

I enjoy walking the course alone at sundown without clubs in hand.

Anthony

mike_beene

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2011, 10:24:45 PM »
I am too ADD to go solo.I need someone to run my mouth too.Chris was my latest victim but he was courteous and nodded some as I talked!

Jason Walker

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2011, 12:32:37 AM »
Jud-
How 'bout that time you were able to get an emergency nine in solo at Augusta National?

Gary Slatter

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2011, 12:52:33 AM »
Malcolm-
Let's get together in 2011, I'm only 30 miles down 295!

And I have to admit, I thought after your first post you were batshit.  Especially with 'song' in the title.  Be that as it may...

I love solitary golf.  Never thought I would. Then daugher arrived, and two years later son arrived  (they're now 3 and 1).  I'm also assisted by the fact I live 1/4 mile from my club, so late afternoon solitary nines (or sixes given our routing) have become norm.   The genius, though, is you'll never know who you run into, and you know there's always someone in the bar to have a post-round drink with.

if you get togetherwill you play ahead of or behind Malcolm?
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2011, 01:59:52 AM »
I had not thought about it in a long time, but my all time favorite scene ever in a golf movie was the priest in Caddyshack who goes out alone in the driving rain. The weather worsens as he is playing the greatest round of his life with Bill Murray on the bag.

On the penultimate hole he sinks an impossible put for birdie and is struck by lightning and dies.

Bill Murray abandones the bag and slinks away.

Jud_T

Re: The Solitary Golfer vs the Marche Militaire New
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2011, 06:28:51 AM »
Jud-
How 'bout that time you were able to get an emergency nine in solo at Augusta National?

Jason,

What exactly is the point of this snide remark?  Do you feel I was name-dropping Lost Dunes?  It's a great course, but hardly the most exclusive club on the planet.  But it was the site of this special round that I recounted.  And solitary golf is generally the province of private clubs.  Ever played as a single on a public track behind a bunch of foursomes?  I'm not saying one can't occasionally have one of these singular experiences at your local muni, but they're much harder to come by.  Thanks for the buzz kill.  I'd love to get into a verbal joust and turn you into a heap of quivering flesh, but I've got too much respect for this site and the vast majority of it's participants to stoop to that level.  You've single handedly turned a nice meditative thread into Thunderdome.  Congrats dude...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 11:36:04 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jim Eder

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2011, 11:25:47 AM »
I enjoy playing alone as well.  Playing two balls one against the other. Playing a 2 ball scramble but playing the worst shot as opposed to the better shot. Just taking in the views, the wildlife, just getting away from busy life. But there is also the wonderful experience playing with friends I am 1/3 playing alone 2/3 with friends.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back