News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Duncan Cheslett

8.30 this New Years Day morning found Dan, my 9 year-old son, and myself at Adlington Golf Centre. As well as a superb driving range, they have two par 3 courses designed by Hawtrees which are a considerable cut above the average 'pitch & putt' course you find (or found) in the local park.

http://www.adlingtongolfcentre.com/

We chose the 'Academy' course, the short option, with holes ranging from 55 to 90 yards long. Despite the tiny size the layout, greens, and bunkering are superb - easily as good as at most 'proper' courses. While providing Dan with the perfect opportunity to try out his new set of clubs it gave me a stern test of my wedge play and putting.

Hole 1 - 88yds

This is just within Dan's 3-wood range and we were both delighted when he made the front edge of the green with his first shot.

Hole 2 - 57 yds

Hole 3 - 77 yds

You get a good view here of the clever use of raised greens and bunkering. You really get the feeling that you are out on a real course.

Hole 4 - 82 yds

Dan hit a real corker here - you can see the ball flying off the club. That's my boy!!!

Hole 5 - 81 yds

Hole 6 - 56 yds

Hole 7 - 79 yds

Hole 8 - 75 yds

This is lovely hole, with a raised back tee as an option to to a lower front one. The green is just in front of the big tree, which I belted an over-enthusiastic wedge lob straight into the top of and subsequently took a 6!

Hole 9 - 65 yds

The rain was by now pouring down so we chickened out of another 9 holes and returned home for a big breakfast. A lovely start to the year and Dan is getting more and more hooked.

I do love it when a plan comes together!  :)

« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 09:28:13 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Sean_A

Re: Academy Course - Adlington Golf Centre, Cheshire, England.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 08:12:34 AM »
Duncan

I gotta say the wee course looks quite good and interesting enough for an adult to have fun with kids.  It looks like a Steel (or Steel associate), Hawtree or perhaps another professional design rather than merely a throw together course from an amateur.

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 12:20:25 PM »
Duncan thanks for posting these, I love P&P.  Scoring wise my best ever play on a course was this past summer at a 12 hole P&P with my brother and his wife.   I was one under three’s to coin a phrase and the pressure I felt on the last few holes was immense. Very rewarding to hold it together.

Your course looks excellent and what better company could you have.

IN September I was back in Ireland where’s basically a separate game. for those un familiar with the courses here’s a few shots. The first one is a genuine Heathland P&P being on the Curragh but the second is more typical and home to the Irish ladies champion.  Always get a warm welcome when I turn up with a wedge and a putter.

IN the past Sean has suggested they play with heavier balls than normal. I asked one of the luminaries at the a club and he said “ We take a very dim view of those that would put a golf ball in the oven overnight!”

It’s a great way to learn the game or just to play a round a golf in 45mins.

PS a tip to get a few more to view your thread – pout “Pictures” in the thread title. Also I think more would  looked in if you’d put Hawtree Par 3 Course in the title?   Keep em coming.
Thanks Tony.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 05:23:03 PM »
IN the past Sean has suggested they play with heavier balls than normal. I asked one of the luminaries at the a club and he said “ We take a very dim view of those that would put a golf ball in the oven overnight!”

Spangles

Is that how those buggers did it?!!?  Your luminary must be well versed in the tactics.  I just couldn't figure out how these guys made balls stick so easily, until I felt the ball.  When I asked what the story was I got the old finger on the nose jobbie. 

Anyway, folks on this site are always on about cheap, cheerful golf that is quick and child friendly.  Yet this thread gets scant attention.  Yes, we know the truth and much of the talk is pure bluster.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 06:33:18 AM »
Duncan,

Nice to see this featured. The only problem here is that the greens are kept very soft and are, therefore, full of un-repaired pitchmarks. Few visitors know to rake the bunkers. If you get behind a 4-ball of youths playing for the first time it can be very slow going. That said, the design is excellent and, generally speaking, there is little interference between players on different holes.

There is also a much longer par-3 course featuring holes up to 240 yards. My wife and I often play that because we can get round in about an hour, use most of the clubs in the bag, and as over-60s we play for cheaper! That course is getting more character as bunkers are added and the soggy patches have been drained. They insist on maintaining some ferocious rough which is a real ball swallower if you don't hit straight. The greens are a bit quicker than the little course, but still slow enough to wreck your putting!

Mark.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 06:57:27 AM »
I love posts like this.

Thanks Duncan  :)

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 09:26:50 AM »
Duncan,

Nice to see this featured. The only problem here is that the greens are kept very soft and are, therefore, full of un-repaired pitchmarks. Few visitors know to rake the bunkers. If you get behind a 4-ball of youths playing for the first time it can be very slow going. That said, the design is excellent and, generally speaking, there is little interference between players on different holes.

There is also a much longer par-3 course featuring holes up to 240 yards. My wife and I often play that because we can get round in about an hour, use most of the clubs in the bag, and as over-60s we play for cheaper! That course is getting more character as bunkers are added and the soggy patches have been drained. They insist on maintaining some ferocious rough which is a real ball swallower if you don't hit straight. The greens are a bit quicker than the little course, but still slow enough to wreck your putting!

Mark.

The 'Graduate' course could well be my next photo-tour! I play it a lot; it is great to pop in for 9 holes whenever I'm working in the Poynton or Wilmslow areas. Give me a call whenever you fancy a round, Mark!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back