News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

When the sun goes down the course shows its muscles.
« on: May 26, 2011, 10:11:56 AM »
   I always thought of #18 at Lahinch as bland compared to the other quite dramatic holes but on Christmas Eve of 2004 as I finished up , the only person on the property, the angle of the late afternoon sun revealed an awesome fairway of ripples. Yesterday I could truly understand why my home course is called "Rolling Green". Holes like #17 and #18 showed their rolls in the late day sun.

The topic about "keeping score" was in my mind as I appreciated the other pleasures of a round of golf. Walking our bridge on #14 I suggested to my friend that great courses usually have at least one non golf aspect which sets them apart.

Golf is played in a natural setting. Maybe that's why I don't like the artificial parts of it.
AKA Mayday

Adam Clayman

Re: When the sun goes down the course shows its muscles.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 01:15:19 PM »
Low light, or, magic time, does show all the ripples. Not sure I would characterize them as muscles, but, it turns out, my analogies are lame.  ;D

This makes me think of that recent article written about playing at 6;30 a.m. Same is true at that hour as it is at sunset. That author must be a card and pencil guy, and would never understand the difference between the sport and the game.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Niall C

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 02:31:18 PM »
I played Moray Old last night after it had got its first close cut of the season and suddenly the greens became alive with borrows which previously lay dormant as the grass was kept longer over the winter. Not only was their more borrow but you could see the contours that much better. Fantastic.

Niall

Terry Lavin

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 02:42:36 PM »
When the light is right, the player/poet comes out.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 02:42:55 PM »

Moray GC

You just have to love it.

Melvyn

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back